Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High protein LOW carb.. HELP

• 09-12-2011 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Could someone please tell me what foods would be good for this diet..
    tryin to cut the fat and gain muscle..

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

What exactly do you want to achieve? Are you a bodybuilder ?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Disko biscuits

mbiking123 wrote: »
    What exactly do you want to achieve? Are you a bodybuilder ?

No, was told this is the best way to get the results I want which is to lose some body fat and gain more muscle

protein is good for muscle repair after excerise, but you need carbs for energy

Sounds like you want to go on the atkins diet, which have been proven not to work. You loose muscle mass not fat.

To loose weight very simple, get moderate excerise. Eat whatever you want before 6pm and no food after that. Start there and you will find you will slowly eat less and less. After some time then improve diet before 6pm. Drink plenty of liquids after 6pm to make you feel your stomack is full.

Eating biscuits late at night etc are a no no

Keep away from beer etc as high in sugar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

This chap taught me loads:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/scooby1961

Some of the meals that he suggests are a bit spartan, but basically he recommends reducing calorie consumption and easing yourself into an exercise programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

protein is good for muscle repair after excerise, but you need carbs for energy

Sounds like you want to go on the atkins diet, which have been proven not to work. You loose muscle mass not fat.

Incorrect.
    To loose weight very simple, get moderate excerise. Eat whatever you want before 6pm and no food after that. Start there and you will find you will slowly eat less and less. After some time then improve diet before 6pm. Drink plenty of liquids after 6pm to make you feel your stomack is full.

Not necessary really.

OP, if you want to go low carb good food options include quality meat, salmon, nuts, veg, eggs, etc. If you are going to go low-carb, up your fat intake for energy.

• Advertisement

Well documented

Dr. Robert Atkins, creator of the high-protein, low-carbohydrate Atkins Diet

Dr. Atkins, when he died, weighed 258 pounds. He was 6 foot tall. With these figures he would be classified as obese.

Atkins diet dont work

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

Well documented

Dr. Atkins, when he died, weighed 258 pounds. He was 6 foot tall. With these figures he would be classified as obese.

Atkins diet dont work
    How does that prove the atkins diet doesnt work for fat loss?? Try use some actual science.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Well documented

Atkins diet dont work

Also didn't he retain alot of fluid when he was unconscious, that his weight being admitted was completely different to his postmortum weight.

I'm not a huge fan of atkins but I wouldn't knock it for that reason.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

OP buy a good book, there's more to low carb than eschewing bread and potatoes.

I like the Perfect Health diet, as it allows some carbs to keep a lot of variety in the diet and doesn't encourage eating a lot of vegetable oil like atkins though I don't take all the supplements they recommend as it would involve swallowing about 20 pills a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Things like fish, chicken and turkey (actual meat that you cook yourself none of that processed crap) With brown rice and whole wheat pasta for your carbs. If you're still finding it hard to get your required amount of protein while keeping your carbs/calories low enough to lose weight then you could look into protein shakes.

• Advertisement

Laisurg wrote: »
    Things like fish, chicken and turkey (actual meat that you cook yourself none of that processed crap) With brown rice and whole wheat pasta for your carbs. If you're still finding it hard to get your required amount of protein while keeping your carbs/calories low enough to lose weight then you could look into protein shakes.

Yep im on the protein shakes m8 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

The dukan diet is another high protein diet http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dukan_Diet recipes http://mydukandiet.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 EdoErgoSum

The dukan diet is another high protein diet http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dukan_Diet recipes http://mydukandiet.com/

Dukan works only if you are really overweight, and it works because it is low carb not high protein.
    The only problem with this diet is that is low in fat, which is bad...

danlen does that prove the atkins diet doesnt work for fat loss?? Try use some actual science.

It did not work for him and he invented it and wrote a book about it. How can it work
    Orla K Also didn't he retain alot of fluid when he was unconscious, that his weight being admitted was completely different to his postmortum weight.

He was 258 pounds when he died, or 117 kgs. Sorry but that excuse cannot explain that amount of weight. If he lost 18 kgs (almost 40 pounds)that would just about make him overweight at 29 BMI. He was way off being proper weight. IN fact his BMI of 34.99 he was nearly in obese class 2.

To loose weight needs life changes, not silly diets. Hence why I said avoid eating late at night. Small changes over time, that way you loose weight nice and slow and keep it off as opposed to some hype diet that dont work. A big change is too hard for people to sustain, thats why little changes is best. When you are easily able to avoid snacking late in evening, then make another small change to your lifestyle. Its all about a lifestyle change

It did not work for him and he invented it and wrote a book about it. How can it work

He was 258 pounds when he died, or 117 kgs. Sorry but that excuse cannot explain that amount of weight. If he lost 18 kgs (almost 40 pounds)that would just about make him overweight at 29 BMI. He was way off being proper weight. IN fact his BMI of 34.99 he was nearly in obese class 2.

To loose weight needs life changes, not silly diets. Hence why I said avoid eating late at night. Small changes over time, that way you loose weight nice and slow and keep it off as opposed to some hype diet that dont work. A big change is too hard for people to sustain, thats why little changes is best. When you are easily able to avoid snacking late in evening, then make another small change to your lifestyle. Its all about a lifestyle change

Ehh, he gained 60lb from edema while lying in a coma for two weeks, this is in his medical notes that were released by the family, but ignore that.

And of course ignore the hundreds of studies that show that low carb is a highly effective and safe method of losing weight, or the fact that people who make drastic changes to their lifestyle are actually more likely to keep the weight off long term, or the fact that lots of people on here have lost weight with low carb and kept it off, in some cases for years and years.

I'm sure you know better.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Ehh, he gained 60lb from edema while lying in a coma for two weeks, this is in his medical notes that were released by the family, but ignore that.

And of course ignore the hundreds of studies that show that low carb is a highly effective and safe method of losing weight, or the fact that people who make drastic changes to their lifestyle are actually more likely to keep the weight off long term, or the fact that lots of people on here have lost weight with low carb and kept it off, in some cases for years and years.

I'm sure you know better.:rolleyes:

Its painfully annoying that myth has stuck. Right up there with the claims evolution is bullsh*t because Darwin became a born again Christian on his deathbed.

I would advice some of the people here to talk to a dietitian

Its painfully annoying that myth has stuck. Right up there with the claims evolution is bullsh*t because Darwin became a born again Christian on his deathbed.

More annoying again considering that the myth is busted on the first page of google.

Didn Darwins sister claim that he never became a born again christian?

NARRATOR: For two weeks one of the twins was put on the high fat, high protein Atkins diet. While the other was put on the conventional low fat diet. They were then locked inside this sealed chamber. By measuring how much oxygen they breathed in and out the computers could calculate how quickly their bodies were burning fuel. The hope was that this would begin to answer whether more calories are worked off on the Atkins diet by breaking down fats and proteins. Donnelly also tested Dr Atkins’s theory of calories lost as ketones down the toilet. The twins had to donate their bodily fluids for the duration of their internment.

Prof JOSEPH DONNELLY: We’ve collected a litre and a half of urine at each collection period. They’ll be analysed for urinary ketones and then we will know how many calories are lost in the urine. NARRATOR: If Dr Atkins’s theories were right the twin on the Atkins diet should be losing significantly more calories than the twin on low fat. In the morning the twins were released and the results were in. To prove you burn off significantly more calories breaking down the Atkins diet researchers expected the twin on Atkins to have lost at least a hundred calories more than the twin on low fat. And the Atkins dieter did lose some more calories this way, but a total of just twenty two.

Prof JOSEPH DONNELLY: Twenty two calories is too small to suggest that there really is anything going on.

NARRATOR: In other words burning fats and proteins appeared to take up hardly any more energy than burning carbohydrates. It seemed Dr Atkins’s theory that you lose calories when breaking down his diet might be wrong. Next the researchers looked to see whether any calories were lost as ketones in the urine. The twin on the Atkins diet had lost less than a single calorie more than his brother on low fat.

Prof JOSEPH DONNELLY: This is not enough to suggest that this particular demonstration showed a difference.

NARRATOR: It seemed being in ketosis made barely any difference at all. Again Dr Atkins’s theory appeared to be wrong. This came as little surprise to Donnelly.

As requested medical fact as described/reported on Horizon BBC
    http://forum.lowcarber.org/archive/index.php/t-161764.html

Yes his family denied that Dr Atkins was obese, but then again with little information cant prove one way or the other. If he put on 60 pounds as the family suggested while in a coma then he was overweight before he had the accident 198 pounds for 6ft man 26.85 BMI

• Advertisement

As requested medical fact as described/reported on Horizon BBC
    http://forum.lowcarber.org/archive/index.php/t-161764.html

Yes his family denied that Dr Atkins was obese, but then again with little information cant prove one way or the other. If he put on 60 pounds as the family suggested while in a coma then he was overweight before he had the accident 198 pounds for 6ft man 26.85 BMI

Nice grasping at straws there, no one here was claiming a metabolic advantage, low carb diets work by massively reducing hunger, people report eating much much less and not being hungry.

So now you're suggesting the official medical records are wrong, what proof do you have of this? Actually don't bother, you've proved several times you don't know what you're talking about.

El_Dangeroso Nice grasping at straws there, no one here was claiming a metabolic advantage, low carb diets work by massively reducing hunger, people report eating much much less and not being hungry.

So now you're suggesting the official medical records are wrong, what proof do you have of this? Actually don't bother, you've proved several times you don't know what you're talking about.

no straws just facts, what exactly am I suggesting then again you are proving you dont like the facts with your tone

no straws just facts, what exactly am I suggesting then again you are proving you dont like the facts with your tone

What facts would these be?

El_Dangeroso you've proved several times you don't know what you're talking about.

What have I proved, oh the medical facts as discuused on Horizon BBC or Dr Atkins BMI at time of death or before accident. One proves he was overweight at time of accident (his wife gave this information)the other shows he was obese when he died - cant dispute the facts

What have I proved, oh the medical facts as discuused on Horizon BBC or Dr Atkins BMI at time of death or before accident. One proves he was overweight at time of accident (his wife gave this information)the other shows he was obese when he died - cant dispute the facts

Yeah, lets go chastise all the coma patients for getting fat from edema, lazy buggers, they should learn to watch their calorie intake.

Why not stick to the facts that the atkins diet did not work for Dr Atkins cause whatever way you want to look at it he was overweight before the accident. Cant blame edema, blame his diet it dont work

A person needs a proper balanced diet, doctors hve concerns of the long term effects of a person being on this type of diet

'you've proved several times you don't know what you're talking about.'

Why not stick to the facts that the atkins diet did not work for Dr Atkins cause whatever way you want to look at it he was overweight before the accident. Cant blame edema, blame his diet it dont work

A person needs a proper balanced diet, doctors hve concerns of the long term effects of a person being on this type of diet

'you've proved several times you don't know what you're talking about.'

Right - just to play along with your argument.

Can you prove he actually followed the diet he wrote about?

If you can - its a sample of one person so not very meaningful. Whereas there are peer reviewed studies showing the benefits of low carb diets.

Similarly - even if Darwin did denounce evolution on his deathbed - it wouldn't matter a toss because his scientific research showed it was true

Bottle_of_Smoke Right - just to play along with your argument.

Can you prove he actually followed the diet he wrote about?

If you can - its a sample of one person so not very meaningful. Whereas there are peer reviewed studies showing the benefits of low calorie diets.

Similarly - even if Darwin did denounce evolution on his deathbed - it wouldn't matter a toss because his scientific research showed it was true

If he did not follow his own diet, why does it prove that he himself did not believe in it . In any case I dont know one way or the other, but this is a question you need to answer for yourself if you believe in his diet.

It is not a low calorie diet, it is a high protein diet and reducing carbs. So bananas are out, fiber is out which can have health problems long term. etc etc as per the link to BBC report

I never brought up Darwin and if you believe 100% in him or not that is a seperate discussion. Go to http://www.vliz.be/docs/Zeecijfers/Origin_of_Species.pdf and go to chapter 5 about sex and age, you may not feel so strong with his views-in any case a different argument

If he did not follow his own diet, why does it prove that he himself did not believe in it . In any case I dont know one way or the other, but this is a question you need to answer for yourself if you believe in his diet.

I believe in the diet because scientific studies and personal experience have shown me it works. I also know a bit about human physiology and its interaction with carbs versus protein or fat. What Dr Atkins ate or died from are irrelevant to my position on the diet he put forward.
    It is not a low calorie diet, it is a high protein diet and reducing carbs. So bananas are out, fiber is out which can have health problems long term. etc etc as per the link to BBC report

That was a mistake. I meant to say low carb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Thomas Magnum

I believe in the diet because scientific studies and personal experience have shown me it works.

What scientific studies show that the Atkins diet works? And please define "works". I don't know how anybody could follow a diet that is so nutrient deficient that it's creator had to sell and recommend multiple vitamin supplements in order to get adequate nutrition.

Advertisement