Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BREXIT... and sending parcels to the UK.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I've given up on GLS entirely. They've been disastrous during lockdown taking it upon themselves to decide that businesses are closed and returning parcels to us the day after they've been shipped.

An Post are much better but are too expensive.

I use DPD exclusively now which I've found to be very good overall.

One major problem I'm having though is that they are not obtaining signatures during the pandemic and are sometimes putting down the drivers name rather than the receivers name. I've had a small number of customers complain (one a month after the fact) that they never received the parcel (some >€500 worth) and with no sig it's hard to provide a POD. Thankfully, so far, in all cases the parcel has been found to have been delivered.

I'm having second thought now about quitting the UK as it's been so busy the last few weeks (I'm not seasonal). I've asked the accountant about Brexit and he'd no idea. I'm applying for UK Vat this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Fastway are performing brilliantly for me these days!

Make sure to get an EORI number (from Irish Revenue).

Yea I always found Fastway reliable when we used them but unfortunately they only offer a 3 day service to the UK when DPD/GLS is 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

Scotty # wrote: »
    Yea I always found Fastway reliable when we used them but unfortunately they only offer a 3 day service to the UK when DPD/GLS is 2 days.

Can I ask what prices you are getting from DPD or GLS for 2 day service to the UK and how reliable it is?
    Have they indicated that they can maintain this service into next year?

JMR wrote: »
    Can I ask what prices you are getting from DPD or GLS for 2 day service to the UK and how reliable it is?
    Have they indicated that they can maintain this service into next year?

DPD (up to 10KG)
    €5.62 + 25c Surcharge - ROI (overnight)
    €13.50 + 61c Surcharge - UK (2 days)

They will be continuing post Brexit but haven't given prices yet. I presume they, like everyone else, are waiting to see if there's a deal or not.

Interestingly.. GLS weigh every parcel themselves and charge accordingly. DPD don't, they go by the weight you declare on the form.

EDIT: Above prices are ex.VAT

• Advertisement

Shipping has gone mad.

Just been quoted US$8,500 for a 40ft from China port to port. Normally $2,400.

DPD are switching to their new Brexit ready portal tonight. Today is your last day to ship to the UK without customs declaration, triple invoice attached, your EORI number and the receivers, and Tarric codes for all products.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Shipping has gone mad.

Just been quoted US$8,500 for a 40ft from China port to port. Normally $2,400.

DPD are switching to their new Brexit ready portal tonight. Today is your last day to ship to the UK without customs declaration, triple invoice attached, your EORI number and the receivers, and Tarric codes for all products.

A UK supplier was quoted $13,000 and was told to expect prices to stay high - he's put a 20% price increase on his products (trade).

If I were an Irish business I'd be looking at the opportunity of additional local business and European business as UK online retailers have traditionally been very strong in selling here and Europe and that is now a problem for them leaving a lot of business to be mopped up.

DPD give very good rates to Europe (€13 - €17 +vat depending on country if you have decent volumes). Charge the customer 11.95 and subsidise the balance.

Anyone here already registered for VAT in the UK and selling to UK businesses?

Do you collect their VAT number and use 0% VAT (VIES) or do you just charge them UK VAT at POS?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭andrewfaulk

silver2020 wrote: »
    A UK supplier was quoted $13,000 and was told to expect prices to stay high - he's put a 20% price increase on his products (trade).

If I were an Irish business I'd be looking at the opportunity of additional local business and European business as UK online retailers have traditionally been very strong in selling here and Europe and that is now a problem for them leaving a lot of business to be mopped up.

DPD give very good rates to Europe (€13 - €17 +vat depending on country if you have decent volumes). Charge the customer 11.95 and subsidise the balance.

The shipping lines are charging congestion surcharges to U.K. customers as their ports are in gridlock since October.. Also seeing a lot of U.K. cargo offloaded in Europe as the ships are avoiding it.. Dover is just the tip of the iceberg.. can see U.K. based business losing business had over fist if this continues so a big push in Europe might reap dividends

Anyone here already registered for VAT in the UK and selling to UK businesses?

Do you collect their VAT number and use 0% VAT (VIES) or do you just charge them UK VAT at POS?

Yes, charge the applicable UK VAT rate and make return to HMRC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Hi folks,

Following this thread with interest, I must admit I have had my head in the sand a bit when it comes to trading with the uk.

(This is in some way related to this thread, but I have seen some discussion re courier companies here so I would like to ask here first)

I do a small amount of business with the uk of packages ranging from €50 - €150 under 2kg. I have been selling the items as “free shipping” ie, the shipping cost has been included in the overall purchase price. This was upended mid December however when my an post agent told me shipping costs worldwide were basically doubling...

The pre paid tracked labels with An Post have been working great until this year with the Christmas rush. I have been getting constant messages about delayed packages. Some sent on December 2nd are still in a sorting office in Dublin! (Uk or US bound) and others are stuck in sorting offices in their respective countries.

Coupled with the huge jump in costs, I’m starting to look at other courier options. I’m reading here that Dpd seem to be a good option, ideally I would like to avoid the postal services now having seen the backlog. I will be reconfiguring my shipping options now as I can’t absorb the rise in costs.

Where can I begin with getting quotes and comparisons? And overall, who is the most reliable service delivering worldwide?

We all seem to put our heart and souls into getting these products out together and shipped - such a shame falling at the last hurdle when it comes to shipping.

Thanks

my an post agent told me shipping costs worldwide were basically doubling...
    Yea I was shocked with the latest quotes I've been getting for 40ft containers from Italy and China. Almost quadruple the normal price. This will have to be added on to the product price of course so expect to see plenty of price hikes in the new year as this stock hits the shelves.
    Where can I begin with getting quotes and comparisons? And overall, who is the most reliable service delivering worldwide?
    Couriers are a bit like mobile phone companies etc in that you'll get people who will swear by a brand and others that wouldn't touch that brand. A lot of it depends on how good your pickup driver is and the consignee's delivery driver. Some are really careful and professional and other couldn't give a toss so service and reliability can very hugely from one area to another and one company to another in that area.

Years ago I used Fastway, a good service except minimum of 3 days to the UK. I switched to DPD because of this but they were demons for damaging parcels so I soon switched to GLS. I was very happy with GLS's service until the pandemic broke out and they started to have issues due to volumes. They fell apart and became very unreliable. Note that when you send to the UK with GLS, the parcel is transferred to Parelforce (Royal Mail) in the UK so although you send it out with a courier, it's delivered by the postal service.

So in April I switched back to DPD again and thankfully have had no damaged deliveries as yet. Another thing to note... when I reported a damaged parcel to DPD they always settled the claim and some of them were for several hundred euro. GLS on the other hand, although they damaged far less parcels (less than 1%) they never settled a claim, ever. It was always deemed someone else's fault or not boxed properly or whatever.

DPD have added a few nice features lately, SMS to customer with estimated delivery time, live GPS tracking in some areas, GPS co-ordinates of where the goods were signed for, etc.

If you are sending large volumes you can definitely negotiate better prices. Who is the most reliable? Well I would say it's the big boys, DHL, UPS, Fedex, but expect to pay premium prices with these unless you have volumes.

I’m starting to look at other courier options. I’m reading here that Dpd seem to be a good option, ideally I would like to avoid the postal services now having seen the backlog. I will be reconfiguring my shipping options now as I can’t absorb the rise in costs.

We all seem to put our heart and souls into getting these products out together and shipped - such a shame falling at the last hurdle when it comes to shipping.

Thanks

Not sure if it suits your business but one of the best decisions I made years ago was to outsource the storage and fulfilment of our products to a fulfilment house.
    I use 2flow.ie in Dublin and find them pretty good.

Previously I used the An Post prepaid labels but there was too much manual intervention from myself required to keep it up, as my operation is a side hustle for me.

The fulfilment company use various courier companies as they have relationships with most.
    There was actually a saving when switching over to the fulfilment company.
    €8.95 next day in Ireland with An Post versus €5.95 with the fulfillment company.

We use a separate UK based company to fulfill UK orders.

I had been trialing the exclusive use of the Irish fulfilment company and next day to the UK was achievable up to this month using APC but they have since pulled out of the Irish market, with the only viable orion remaining being DHL and the cost is prohibitive, so I need to keep the UK fulfilment company.

In general, I find less queries / complaints when the carrier used is DPD, both in Ireland and UK.
    GLS are a lesser option, in my opinion.

Agree totally that shipping is a headache and it can be very frustrating that late delivery is by far the biggest complaint that I get and I would imagine most eCommerce businesses are the same.

I would advise, from experience, that it's important not to over-commit to the customer. If your website advertises next day delivery, the customer expects it in their hand the next day, even if the order is placed at 5 to midnight on a Sunday! Be very clear on cutoff times etc and do not bury this detail in the t&c's as it only creates more phone calls

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭manor

Hi.

Could you tell me the name of the UK fulfilment company, looking at options.

Thanks

manor wrote: »
    Hi.

Could you tell me the name of the UK fulfilment company, looking at options.

Thanks

We use the following

https://www.sussextransport.com/storage-contract-warehousing-distribution-sussex-and-south-east/pick-and-pack-warehousing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Hi folks,

Following this thread with interest, I must admit I have had my head in the sand a bit when it comes to trading with the uk.

(This is in some way related to this thread, but I have seen some discussion re courier companies here so I would like to ask here first)

I do a small amount of business with the uk of packages ranging from €50 - €150 under 2kg. I have been selling the items as “free shipping” ie, the shipping cost has been included in the overall purchase price. This was upended mid December however when my an post agent told me shipping costs worldwide were basically doubling...

The pre paid tracked labels with An Post have been working great until this year with the Christmas rush. I have been getting constant messages about delayed packages. Some sent on December 2nd are still in a sorting office in Dublin! (Uk or US bound) and others are stuck in sorting offices in their respective countries.

Coupled with the huge jump in costs, I’m starting to look at other courier options. I’m reading here that Dpd seem to be a good option, ideally I would like to avoid the postal services now having seen the backlog. I will be reconfiguring my shipping options now as I can’t absorb the rise in costs.

Thanks

Your best option is DHL. They'll offer air and road service. Good value for weights under 2kg.

An post like all postal services use scheduled flights and these were very badly affected. A decent freight / post agent should have known this and advised you.

Dpd are excellent for European destinations

Darc19 wrote: »
    Your best option is DHL. They'll offer air and road service. Good value for weights under 2kg.

DHL prices I have been quoted for UK are €12.25 standard road (up to 6 working days!) and €22.11 next day, with further levies expected to be added to these prices.

Thanks for the great advice. This gives me something solid to work with and begin to plan.

The fulfilment centres are a good idea, but most of the work is bespoke do doesn’t allow for it.

Thanks again

DHL prices I have been quoted for UK are €12.25 standard road (up to 6 working days!) and €22.11 next day, with further levies expected to be added to these prices.

Possibly your volumes are not high enough for a competitive quote.

Chicken and egg.

They tried to get our European business and UK was under €8 for 5kg. Dpd still beat them.

If it's just Europe and UK, then dpd will be hard to beat. But if other parts of the world are part of the business, DHL will be the best option at present.

Darc19 wrote: »
    Possibly your volumes are not high enough for a competitive quote.

Chicken and egg.

They tried to get our European business and UK was under €8 for 5kg. Dpd still beat them.

If it's just Europe and UK, then dpd will be hard to beat. But if other parts of the world are part of the business, DHL will be the best option at present.

It may be worthwhile looking at one courier for Uk/Europe and one for rest of world? Or does that split things up to give less volume for each courier?

I’m hoping to be sending 20 to 25 packs per week this year

• Advertisement

€22 next day to the UK is very good. It must be for a tiny parcel though. I was quoted €170 for 7KG with DHL, which I accepted, and after being picked up at 5pm was in the customers hands at 10AM the next day. Unfortunately it was the wrong part they ordered though.

€22 next day to the UK is very good. It must be for a tiny parcel though. I was quoted €170 for 7KG with DHL, which I accepted, and after being picked up at 5pm was in the customers hands at 10AM the next day. Unfortunately it was the wrong part they ordered though.

All our products are < 1kg and previously we had been getting a next day service to the UK with APC for approx €7.20, so not a sustainable increase.
    We are B2C with average order value < €50

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭manor

Quick summary, depends on volume/ country .
    Last week sent 5,200 parcels to the UK used UPS
    1,200 parcels UK used DHL
    1,100 parcels Europe GLS
    950 parcels Ireland DPD
    Stopped using An Post, cheap but products not being delivered.
    Prices vary, different range of products being sent, mostly between 1&3 kg
    Have an 10,000 project order at the end of January, will tender out.
    At the moment customers happy with a 48/72 delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 The Soup Dragon

Really interesting thread. We are a small UK based company and send parcels around the world ( low volumes high value) and use a mixture of the main couriers via a couple of shipping consolidators who give us volume pricing even though we don't send too many parcels out. We are keen to gain more business in Europe and see Brexit as a barrier to that potential growth and as such are seriously looking at uprooting from the UK and moving to Ireland. We hope that our UK customers will stick with us especially if we swallow any shipping costs.

I just cant see any upside to Brexit at all.

SD

We are keen to gain more business in Europe and see Brexit as a barrier to that potential growth...
    Sky News has been full of similar stories over the last week, including from people who were big Brexit supporters who are only now realising the new hurdles they have to overcome when trying to sell into Europe. The UK is more at the mercy of Europe now than it's ever been.

You are mixing up DHL road services (good value 48 hour service) with express courier service which uses air freight and gives a very good timed service, but as you experienced, it comes at a high price.

48hour road service for 10kg would be about €10-€12 with any decent volume

Really interesting thread. We are a small UK based company and send parcels around the world ( low volumes high value) and use a mixture of the main couriers via a couple of shipping consolidators who give us volume pricing even though we don't send too many parcels out. We are keen to gain more business in Europe and see Brexit as a barrier to that potential growth and as such are seriously looking at uprooting from the UK and moving to Ireland. We hope that our UK customers will stick with us especially if we swallow any shipping costs.

I just cant see any upside to Brexit at all.

SD

Your ideal place is Northern Ireland. You still have full access to the uk market with low internal delivery rates with royal mail and you have access to the EU market with shipping options such as DPD (they operate as an all island rate)

Managed to get through to dpd as they just back from hols. Rates aren’t bad for Uk and Europe, but found out they don’t operate to us and Canada unfortunately. Back to the drawing board for that solution, going to try dhl next.

Inundated with email from US customers, post is getting to the US but there is a huge backlog. Learned a lesson to avoid the postal service from October to jan...

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭andrewfaulk

Managed to get through to dpd as they just back from hols. Rates aren’t bad for Uk and Europe, but found out they don’t operate to us and Canada unfortunately. Back to the drawing board for that solution, going to try dhl next.

Inundated with email from US customers, post is getting to the US but there is a huge backlog. Learned a lesson to avoid the postal service from October to jan...

Fedex or UPS would be good options to the US if you have volume..

Both have better networks in the US than DHL would even

• Advertisement

I'm sure there's some form of consolidation service where you can send a batch of items and they put it into a local delivery service.

DHL might offer that as they use usps for last mile delivery (ups and FedEx do too)

Pestle and mortar in Naas ship worldwide from there and use DHL.

The advantage of dhl/FedEx /ups over an post is that they have their own cargo aircraft, so no delays.

Actually, Nightline, who are owned by UPS, may be your best option as they have European, local and worldwide services.

Advertisement