Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Am I the asshole?

• 14-08-2020 4:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Bit of a back story.
    July 2019 my child (16 at the time) moved out of their other parents home, citing years of mental & physical abuse, obviously as a parent if your child came and advised you of a situation they were not comfortable and did not feel safe, you take them out of that situation. Tusla investigation found no evidence, but the other parent has a history of manipulation, lies (did this to me for years before we split) no contact has been had with the other parent since new years when they rang drunk and shouted and roared down the phone to the child.
    Since then we've gone through a change in schools, (was being bullied and attacked daily between September - December 2019, gardai were involved, other party admitted guilt), child is now living with grandparents (my parents) as to make school attendance was more convenient for my child (school is a city location, we live in the country - my parents were more than happy to help with this. However I have reservations about the freedom he is being given and voiced my concerns with my own parents.
    Got my child help with Jigsaw and lockdown happened.
    Fast forward again and the August weekend turns 18, so we had sit the now young adult down and explain that money he was being given each week, will now be matched with some household chores they can do and help participate with as they are an adult now and they now need to chip in as it shows respect to those they live with etc , and if they want the same respect, it comes with a responsibility to show respect to the other household members also. Since this conversation last week, I've tried to contact the now young adult by phone and calling to see them but with my own work schedule I kept missing them when calling and phone calls went unanswered. They claim they don't see their phone but we all know what young people are like, it's like an apendage to their body, I also pay the phone bill and can see the usage.
    Low and behold today my phone blew up when no money was transferred to the account for the now young adult (I had standing orders set up but they were set to an expiry date which passed and I forgot until I checked my account. Explained to my young adult about trying to contact them to catch up etc but as it is now after 5pm and I'm still in work, now any back transfer will be actioned until tomorrow (Friday) and a bank transfer can take up to 5 days (it's usually much faster as we all know). They are now back and forth about trying to control them and what are they to do without money etc. Reminded the conversation about respect to others etc, nobody gets anything for free and that I'm trying show them the value in working some bit for money they get.
    My gut reaction with all this is to say go and get a job and control your own money,

I don't earn a lot but have enough to keep a roof over my head pay my bills, feed myself and keep a motor on the road,

Question is am I being the asshole here? My own mental health is touch and go at the best of times and this is really starting to get me going to dark places again.

What has others done in a situation like this, surely there must be others there with similar issues

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

If your parents are less confused than you are, and are decent, I suggest you let them handle it. If all the young adult is costing you is a phone bill, you are getting off lightly.

I think it was pretty ****ty to sit them down and have a "you're an adult now" on the weekend of their 18th birthday and pile a load of new rules and responsibility on them, and yes, what you are doing with funds does sound controlling. No wonder they avoided you all week.

Turning 18 isn't some magic switch where you turn into an adult overnight. It's a date.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,021 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You had a conversation in which you proposed that payment of an allowance would be matched on their part with taking on adult roles in the house.

You don't say whether you got buy-in to this idea or pushback against it. Warning flag there.

You then didn't pay the allowance - through oversight, rather than deliberately, but it comes to the same thing. You don't suggest that the young adult had failed to meet expectations with regard to chores, etc. And it seems you told them that the reason the money wasn't paid was because they failed to return your calls.

But, based on what you told us yourself, that was a lie. The reason the money wasn't paid was because you overlooked the stop date on the standing order. Even if they had returned your calls, the standing order would have expired. There was no connection here.

So, basically, you stuffed up and then you lied to them about it. And your concern is that your child is not behaving in an adult way? You think the problem here is that they're not showing respect?

I'm afraid the answer to your questions is yeah, you are the arsehole. If you want your child to behave like an adult you have to treat them like an adult. That means you can't dictate to them what the relationship between you will be; you have to negotiate that with them and arrive at some kind of shared understanding. And you can't retrospectively go back and add bits to it - oh, and you were supposed to return my calls; oh, and you were supposed to get a job immediately after last week's coversation - in the middle of a recession.

It's not too late to make a fresh start. Ring up and apologise. Say that you stuffed up over the payment and you want to make things right. Meet your child and have a conversation about how they see their place in the family, and in their grandparent's home. Talk about whether they should get a job, how feasible this is in the current climate, whether it is compatible with study plans, etc. Involve the grandparents in this conversation also - if the child is living in their house, what household role/responsibilities they expect the child to take on is obviously an important consideration. Restore the allowance immediately, don't make it conditional on any specific behaviour, but try to agree that the whole thing will be reviewed after a decent interval (3 months?) at which longer term plans (including plans about an allowance) can be looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Springfields

Dont think you are an asshole. You are trying to teach them a valuable life lesson- they need to earn their keep. Any 18 year old should realise this. In reality they probably wont be able to find a causal job, which would have been the way to go, so I think you are being very fair giving them an allowance and paying a phone bill, the
    y also have a secure roof over their heads . So they should mindful and grateful for their position...
    However probably best not to lie and say you withheld it because of no contact. Explain you would like if they called once or twice a week to keep in touch, you obviously care a lot for them
    They must have a lot going on dealing with the past / other parents so cut a bit of slack but be clear on what your expectations are if they want allowance to continue. Its give and take for ye both

• Administrators Posts: 13,746 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

The way you speak about your child is very detached. The child who has just turned 18, is not "an adult", not living independently and has no means of their own, lives with neither parent. They've been dropped off at their grandparents because its more convenient for you. You have very little day to day dealing with your child, seem to hscd no input or insight into their life and think you can dictate from afar.

How often do you see them? How often do you call to your parents house? How often did you see them when they lived with the other parent?

It seems you have, and are failing at the job of being a parent to this teen. Teens are notoriously difficult to connect with. I have 2. I notice every day how I'm losing the relationship we had when they were little and it takes a lot of work (a hell of a lot of work) on my part to try maintain some sort of connection to them.

The money and the chores is a side issue. You need to speak to your parents. See how they feel about all this. See are they able to deal with the teenager. See if they have a good relationship between them all. You are parenting from a distance and don't really know what's actually going on either with your child, or in their other relationships.

As parents we are all only learning on the job. We all mess up, regularly. It's a bit easier to cover up when they're younger, but as the get older, and better able to challenge us and call us out on our mistakes it gets tougher to bluff our way through. Call out to your child and speak TO them, not at them. Admit your error and apologise. It will go a long way towards building your relationship.

This is one seriously messed up teen. Passed around. Have they ever had counselling to deal with their setup and circumstances.

And last point... Make sure you let your parents know exactly how much you appreciate them. I don't think you can really know how much they are doing for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Febreeze

I don't know it's a bit of a difficult one.

There's a couple of things I want to write clearly to understand myself.

You've to understand that your child went from one abusive parent, then bullying in school then shipped to the grandparents to live to go to a school in the city. Its a long and hard thing for a teen to go through and to process mentally and physically. On paper it might sound like the situation was dealt with but mentally, it can affect a teen. It isn't a case of we helped them move to make life easier. Then when you did get your child help, the facility then closed due to lockdown and that was another added extra stress on your child, and of course possibly you. Your child possibly feels they have literally no one to turn too at this rate. Or potentially has things they wish to speak about and has no one to tell as maybe they feel everyone is pawning them off.

Now in saying that, you're right to have a talk with your child about money and responsibilities and they have to learn the value of it but the weekend of their 18th birthday? They've yet to understand what it is they went through previously and how to deal with that then all of a sudden they are being told to grow up now and value money. That's extremely confusing then to mix in not seeing one parent but not seeing both parents. Then only get money if they do their chores, when done, to find out they've never recieved their allowances. Of course your child was quick enough to get onto you about this but the boundaries were crossed when you offered to send money and now all of a sudden they didn't receive it. You can't teach the value of money then say "Oh I was busy I never sent it" and expect the child to be okay with this. To be honest I'm confused for your child.

I had the responsibility and value of money talk when I was 18 myself but it was a case of "You're finished school now so don't think you're going to sign on and do nothing. You go to work or you go to college but I'm not funding your lazy lifestyle if you choose to do neither of the choices given". Not the weekend of my birthday but it was around the time I was 18. So I'm not going to condone that.

However, I would presume the leaving cert year is over? (maybe your child has another year) Would it be wise to say you've helped the child academically and give them to chance to say if they want to go back home to you or to stay where they are? Bearing in mind they might want to stay because they made friends in their new school so that's a high chance. That would be you showing your letting them decide what they want to do. If they continue to live with grandparents, then well, they are 18 now, I didn't see the need to give "chore" money as they are of legal age to get a part time job. That's not to say if they decide to move back home to you, to continue the "chore money" as again it falls back to they can still work part time and attend school or college. But again you did agree to fund them for "chores" so their thinking is "Well Mam (or dad) gives me money every week so they can pay" and that's their logic. That's setting them up for thinking sure I don't have to do anything.

OP you sound like you're doing all you can to help and that's great but I think there's a lot more to this than you realise and I think you need to contact Jigsaw (or another alternative) and really let your child go through the process of what went on previously and physically be there for your child and not over text and phone calls. Believe me, phone calls and text doesn't show a lot of affection. Make a point to visit once a week and spend time with them. Visit them for the weekend and talk. That's all your child probably wants to do is talk and just see at least one parent who cares. I'm sure their grandparents are brilliant but it's not always the same when a parent isnt there. Especially one one parent is abusive.

There's so much confusion and passing over and giving into that I wouldn't be surprise if your child just expects a lot of things and then gives out or ignores you when they think their needs aren't being met.

There's no such thing as a perfect parent. There's no such thing as a perfect family but you can help fix this and if you and your child can come together and go through the process then it will make it easier to get by. It's not an easy process and can take a while to find a balance that everyone is happy with but for the minute, your child is the main priority and I think you need to start looking into the mental help route before you start nipping at everything else. Your child has lost the meaning of understanding how to value and respect anything, let alone money. That's not me giving out saying your child is disrespectful but they don't know themselves what to be doing.

It's a tough one but over time, with all the help provided and all the tools needed and used, it will be worth it.

Good luck OP.

Edited: Just quickly read there about the standing order and expiry date. Prime example of why the boundaries wasn't met. You set up a plan with your child, then tried to blame them for lack of phone calls and without admitting that it was your own fault. Then wounder why your child is ignoring you. You need to sit down and speak to your child. Not blame them for anything. Speak. Talk becauase at this rate this is going to turn into a disastrous relationship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I read that differently that the child ignored the parents phone calls until there was a problem the money. Only then the phone blew up, which means they bombarded the parent.

Typical teen I would say.

beauf wrote: »
    I read that differently that the child ignored the parents phone calls until there was a problem the money. Only then the phone blew up, which means they bombarded the parent.

Typical teen I would say.
    It may be typical teen behaviour, but at least there is the excuse of being a teen.

The problem, remember, started with the parent failing to pay the allowance.
    The parent is also exhibiting "typical teen behaviour" - stuffing up through carelessness, and then denying and rationalising it - and perhaps has less excuse.

The other issue is your a bit late trying to establish rules with an 18 yr if they never had them before.

I think you'd have to spend some time one to one with the your child, who is an adult really, to re-establish a new relationship.

Doing chores etc is going to be decisive on this forum. Many on boards never did chores or worked even as a summer job. It's an alien concept to them.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    It may be typical teen behaviour, but at least there is the excuse of being a teen.

The problem, remember, started with the parent failing to pay the allowance.
    The parent is also exhibiting "typical teen behaviour" - stuffing up through carelessness, and then denying and rationalising it - and perhaps has less excuse.

Being a teen explains why they did it, but there no excuse for poor behaviour.

There were issues before the payment failed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The other issue is your a bit late trying to establish rules with an 18 yr if they never had them before.

I think you'd have to spend some time one to one with the your child, who is an adult really, to re-establish a new relationship.

Doing chores etc is going to be decisive on this forum. Many on boards never did chores or worked even as a summer job. It's an alien concept to them.

I call shenanigans on your assertion.

Deliberate nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

18 is too late, 50 years ago at that age many people would be working, living in their own home, possibly children and married.

Being a teen explains why they did it, but there no excuse for poor behaviour.

There were issues before the payment failed.
    The only issue seemed to be that he failed to return calls over a few days - we're not told how long - which frankly is no biggie. Certainly not returning a call, as between adults, is a much more trivial thing than not making a payment that has been promised, and is expected. The OP doesn't suggest that the calls were particularly urgent or that the teen had any reason to think they were, or that the OP considered alternatives like messaging.

I agree, there's poor behavour on both sides here, but to my mind the OP describes poorer behaviour on the parent's side than on the child's. The OP says he wants the young person to behave like an adult but I think there's two necessary steps to acheiving that - one is to treat the young person as an adult and the second is to act like an adult yourself. I think the fundamental problem here is that the OP doesn't relate to the young person as a adult, and that's where the work needs to be done. They both need to work on that.

listermint wrote: »
    [/B]

I call shenanigans on your assertion.

Deliberate nonsense

There was a thread on here before about kids chores and teens working and the vast majority of posters were against the idea.

I don't think it's too much too agree a set of ground rules while staying in someone else's house. That said the parent can't dictate what goes on in someone else house. Even the Grand parents. They can make suggestions only. Not with an 18yr old.

I had “to do lists” given to me by my mother when I was 8 no less 18 - sounds like your teenager has got away with doing nothing for years- but I also agree with some other posts here; you’re way too late asking them to do chores for their pocket money

I have a feeling (and I could be wrong, but I doubt it) that this teen now feels under extreme pressure, and like any financial support from their parent is going to be held over their head at every turn and used against them, and that their parent's support is conditional. Thats a lot to put on a teen who was already dealing with a lot.

So they avoided their parent all week (probably upset) and then they panicked and blew up when the money wasn't there as usual.

Doesn't help that parent then lied to them about why the money wasn't paid (good pick up there, I missed that).

I feel sorry for this kid. And they are still just a kid.

The only issue seemed to be that he failed to return calls over a few days - we're not told how long - which frankly is no biggie. Certainly not returning a call, as between adults, is a much more trivial thing than not making a payment that has been promised, and is expected. The OP doesn't suggest that the calls were particularly urgent or that the teen had any reason to think they were, or that the OP considered alternatives like messaging.

I agree, there's poor behavour on both sides here, but to my mind the OP describes poorer behaviour on the parent's side than on the child's. The OP says he wants the young person to behave like an adult but I think there's two necessary steps to acheiving that - one is to treat the young person as an adult and the second is to act like an adult yourself. I think the fundamental problem here is that the OP doesn't relate to the young person as a adult, and that's where the work needs to be done. They both need to work on that.

Their sit down about respect and chores all happened before that.

Payments fail. If you are going to throw a tantrum everytime that happens it's not going to be useful. Should try that in a bank, or an accounts department.

We are assuming the parent hasn't much of relationship with this child, may this this true or not. But that seems critical to re-engage with them as a 18yr old.

I have a feeling (and I could be wrong, but I doubt it) that this teen now feels under extreme pressure, and like any financial support from their parent is going to be held over their head at every turn and used against them, and that their parent's support is conditional. Thats a lot to put on a teen who was already dealing with a lot.

So they avoided their parent all week (probably upset) and then they panicked and blew up when the money wasn't there as usual.

Doesn't help that parent then lied to them about why the money wasn't paid (good pick up there, I missed that).

I feel sorry for this kid. And they are still just a kid.

I don't get the lie bit. Thats an assumption on our part, maybe true, we don't know.

But for sure the teen might interpret that it being withdrawn. But only if they haven't done their side of the agreement. It's a bit of guilt leading them to assume that. But it's the obvious conclusion. I can't fault them for that. As you get older you learn not to jump to the obvious and rule out other possibilities so quickly. Teens are rash though.

But I wouldn't be treating them as as child. This fishing reel time. Let the line out, give them space and time, Reel them back slowly.

People do things as teens they never would as an adult. It's because the part of the brain that established risk and consequences isn't fully developed.

I don''t have a problem with chores, but the focus on chores here is maybe unhelpful in this particular case. Consider:

- The teen doesn't live with his dad, and apparently only ever did for a fairly short time. He has most recently been living with his grandparents.

- The dad thinks, not unreasonably, that he should do chores but he also has reservations about the freedom the teen is given, and has voiced his concern about this to the grandparents. It seems the grandparents don't expect the teen to do chores - at any rate, not in the way the father thinks they should. And, in the last analysis, it's the grandparents' house; they decide how the household tasks get done, and by whom.

- Recently - as in, last week - the father had a conversation with the teen indicating that he was expected to do chores. The father doesn't say that the teen has refused to do them, or that he has agreed but has failed to do them. To be honest, I wouldn't think enough time has passed to be able to say either that the teen is meeting the father's expectations about chores, or that he is not.

- But chores are not really the father's business. It's not up to the father to allocate the housework in a house he doesn't live in. He can encourage the teen to take on a bigger role in the household but, ultimately, it's between the teen and his grandparents. The father doesn't control this, and shouldn't try to control it - which necessarily involves trying to control both the teen and the grandparents - through manipulating an allowance to the teen. It woul dbe good for the teen to take on a bigger role in the household, but this is not something the father can control, or something that he can punish the teen over.

One think he could do to encourage the teen into taking on more adult responsibility is stop paying the teen's phone bill. Increase the allowance instead, and let the teen take on responsiblity for budgeting as between phone and other expenditures, and for managing things like the timely payment of the bill.

Also the teen should be encouraged to get a job and, maybe, once he has done, instead of doing chores (if that's not to the grandparent's taste) to make a regular payment by way of rent/contribution to the household bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Why isnt the OP assisting them in finding employment, like actually really assisting them. That would be more of a confidence and independent builder than handing over pocket money for made up chores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

I think it was pretty ****ty to sit them down and have a "you're an adult now" on the weekend of their 18th birthday and pile a load of new rules and responsibility on them, and yes, what you are doing with funds does sound controlling. No wonder they avoided you all week.

That's the sort of thing that I would expect to happen at 13 or 14, not at 18. It's basically pocket money, or an allowance... which is not really the sort of thing you do with an adult.

If this sort of thing hasn't already been established it's hard to just have it happen overnight.

Members of a household should be expected to contribute, but money can be tricky.

An easier transition would be for them to handle their own bills. OP says that they pay their son's/daughter's bill by standing order? That's the sort of thing that should be moved over to the offspring's control (with the parent then providing them a general amount of money for them to cope, as I expect that the offspring doesn't have full time employment or anything)

For OP: whatever you do, don't hound them. It's totally legitimate for you to ask them to pull their weight if they're living with you. However you have to be prepared for them saying that they're going to live with someone else instead. If they think they'll get an easier time living with friends, or with their grandparents, that's their choice. They'll soon find out that being expected to pull your weight is a universal rule.

Edit: I'm actually kindof confused by the living arrangements. If the teen isn't living with OP then it isn't any of OP's business whether the teen does chores. They aren't their keeper. Imagine ringing up a former roommate and saying "you are an adult. I hope you are treating the people you are living with well, or the two of us are going to have a serious conversation!"

Their sit down about respect and chores all happened before that.
    Only a week before, if I read the OP correctly.
    Payments fail. If you are going to throw a tantrum everytime that happens it's not going to be useful. Should try that in a bank, or an accounts department.
    Yeah, but look at the contrast. When the father wants to talk to the teen about (presumably) things that matter to the father, he rings the teen and the failure to return calls is considered disrespectful. But when the teen rings to talk about things that matter to him, he's "having a tantrum"? So the father gets to dictate when, and about what, phone conversations are reasonable? That's not really very adult. And, if I rang about a missed payment, and was told that the payment was stopped without warning because of my lack of respect in failing to return earlier calls promptly, I think I'd have a bit of a tantrum too.

None of this is consistent with treating the teen in an adult way. And not treating the teen in an adult way is not consistent with expecting him to behalf in an adult way. If you want him to behave like an adult model adult behavour for him.
    We are assuming the parent hasn't much of relationship with this child, may this this true or not. But that seems critical to re-engage with them as a 18yr old.
    I'm not assuming that. Obviously the child has had a hard time in the past, but when things got too tough with his mother he came to his father and that indicates a basically sound relationship. He trusts his father, and turns to him for support and protection. IN fact, he trusts him enough to treat him badly from time to time (e.g. by not returning his phone calls) - he knows that this won't cause his dad to stop loving him. (This is classic teenage behaviour.) So, yeah, they are basically OK.

They are struggling to establish an adult relationship, which is often a struggle. There's no reason to think they won't succeed, but it can be a rough passage. But I think the take-away for the Dad here is that they both need to up their game and act like adults. The dad is trying to use the allowance, and even the mistakes over the allowance - to control the teen and the teen's relationship with his grandparents. This won't work. He needs to work with the teen - find out what the teen wants, where he sees his life going, how he plans to get there, how he sees his place in the family, etc - and then develop strategies for encouraging adult behaviour in that context.

listermint wrote: »
    Why isnt the OP assisting them in finding employment, like actually really assisting them. That would be more of a confidence and independent builder than handing over pocket money for made up chores.

Still at school. Not that stops anyone from doing a few small jobs here and there.

Still at school. Not that stops anyone from doing a few small jobs here and there.
    Yeah, but right now, with the fallout of the pandemic, youth unemployment is at very high levels. This is a bad time for a young person to be looking for part-time work - there'll be a lot of competition for few opportunities, and lots of people who wouldn't normally consider the kind of jobs that schoolkids do will be applying for them.

So it would be good if this kid could get a job and they should certainly be encouraged to, but I don't think you could reasonably penalise them for not succeeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭IJS84

A few points some have asked. The teen when trying to move schools mid term was left with very few options of availability given moving out of 1 parents house, (in 5th year) with the available options for where they could stay, the teen chose the grandparents house. Some here are accusing of lying.... The teen agreed when the conversation was had that it's not an unreasonable request for them to help out around the house in which they live, in return for an allowance, as it shows a level of maturity and respect for the people they live with. If they were out living on their own, or in a house share other housemates would also have an expectation of this. The issue around phone calls etc. I have outlined that given work hours trying to arrange a call that would suit the teen rather than the parent, or even calling to see them in person and the teen can't show a small bit of respect by giving a little here and maybe answer or return a call, or respond to a txt. We all miss calls, we may not be able to answer a call at times but over the course of 10 days we can't get back to someone, I'm sure we would all be a little peeved here. The teen is also looking for respect and probably rightly has an expectation of an allowance to be paid as expected - if we don't get paid on time with a job we wouldn't be too impressed either - and was pointed out on many an occasion to them, that if anyone wants respect in this world, there is a responsibility on each individual to show it to others also - I'm sure we could all take a look at ourselves where this is concerned.

The oversight was genuine as it was news to me the payment didn't go through until I checked the account online when the teen asked at 1st, this was after 5pm on a Thursday and was not feedable to get cash for them at the time, the money aspect has been sorted now this morning

The way I have approached it has always tried to be on their level, not asking them to do something I would ask anyone else. Give them the respect I would want to get myself, and speak to them the way I'd want to be spoken to. I did however make a point to them I was trying to contact them for over a week but as soon as they want something their phone works again and well able to contact me again.

However the difficulty around household chores and that I'm asking them to behave in a way that is also in someone else's house.....which can only ever be a request on my part

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Could you not have called over to him at some point in the 10 days if you wanted to talk with him?

Yeah, but right now, with the fallout of the pandemic, youth unemployment is at very high levels. This is a bad time for a young person to be looking for part-time work - there'll be a lot of competition for few opportunities, and lots of people who wouldn't normally consider the kind of jobs that schoolkids do will be applying for them.

So it would be good if this kid could get a job and they should certainly be encouraged to, but I don't think you could reasonably penalise them for not succeeding.

Absolutely, no pressure has been made here to look for work as a lot of teens have always done but the suggestion has been made. Helping them look for work....job listings have been sent and the teen has been made aware of places looking for staff. They can't be forced to apply for these jobs but only suggested. Hence the approach of help out around the house as a way of earning their keep. Since the change of the living arrangements from the other parent, this has been my view although unenforceable as it's not my house and as I already mentioned can only ever be a request on my part. The teens grandparents have voiced their view to my on this that he should be helping out. There has also been some allowances given the drastic change in the past 13/14months however i don't believe anyone should be given free reign and not help out with basic household chores

neonsofa wrote: »
    Could you not have called over to him at some point in the 10 days if you wanted to talk with him?

I had made arrangements to do this each evening either before or after work depending on shifts. When I called the teen would not be there and then would not answer a call or txt to see if they were near by

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

Did you set the standing orders to expire on their 18th birthday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

IJS84 wrote: »
    I had made arrangements to do this each evening either before or after work depending on shifts. When I called the teen would not be there and then would not answer a call or txt to see if they were near by

Well if they were out then its fairly reasonable that they didn't see the calls. Sure they should have called you back once they did but they're a teenager. Can you not ask your parents what time is usually best for them to be home? Or for them to text you once your child is home so that you can call over then.

I'm kind of confused about what the issue is, if you messed up with the payment then just apologise for the mix up and move on? Although it seems like you deliberately had the payments stopped on his 18th birthday, whether you forgot this or not. So at some level, did you expect to re assess the terms of this allowance at this point and have the payment conditional on this?

If you feel the teen doesn't deserve the money based on his behaviour then communicate that to them and give them the chance to adapt their behaviour. Either the allowance is conditional or not, but the terms cant just change as you see fit without the teenager been given a chance to rectify it. If it is payable only when general respect is shown, as defined by you, then you kind of need to decide what this means to you, before you expect to see it from your child. Its not fair to change the goalposts really. And teenagers by their very nature will push boundaries, so you need to set them first. His previous parent didn't exactly demonstrate respect for him or others, so its a huge ask to just expect it from him now that he is 18. Its a learning curve. He is navigating adulthood and what this means, and that includes adult relationships and expectations that weren't previously placed on him. By your own admission, he hasnt had a great role model in the other parent so he may just need more support with learning how he should behave towards others.

Advertisement