Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DE razor beginner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

So just tried it now for valentines night :)

The sides were done very well. But area around moustache and chin didn't work effectively and I ended up using Gillette 5.

I have thick beard at chin and moustache area.

Any suggestions? Maybe I need sharper blade?

Thanks everyone

Honestly I think you'll get there with practice.

It took me a while to get the hang of it when I first started. Chin is probably one of the more difficult areas as more curved.

My first time with a DE I nearly cut myself to ribbons.

With regards to blades I use feathers and change after every second/third shave. They're so cheap I don't mind switching then out fairly regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Day 2:
    Used it more rigorously today with a good shaving cream.
    Shaved chin area twice (2nd time without shaving cream). Results are better today and didn't have to use Gillette 5.

Will order Feather sharp blades for a more aggressive shave. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

PaulT21 wrote: »
    Interested in this DE shaving experience too but if you scroll down to the comments on that brush and stand, they are not very favourable, shedding and cracking seem to be the problem!

Might be better to pay a few € extra for some better quality make:)

This is the brush I'd recommend in that price range. It's one of my favorites. Even compaired to the more expensive brushes that I own.
    https://www.shaving.ie/products/semogue-owners-club-2-boar-ash.html

For soaps this is one of the best, https://www.maggardrazors.com/product/stirling-soap-co-baker-street-shaving-soap-5-8oz/
    If you want something more local these are good, https://www.drksoap.com/shaving-soap/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Day 2:
    Used it more rigorously today with a good shaving cream.
    Shaved chin area twice (2nd time without shaving cream). Results are better today and didn't have to use Gillette 5.

Will order Feather sharp blades for a more aggressive shave. :)

Feather are my blade of choice too, just take your time and with practice your be happy with the results

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

PaulT21 wrote: »
    Interested in this DE shaving experience too but if you scroll down to the comments on that brush and stand, they are not very favourable, shedding and cracking seem to be the problem!

Might be better to pay a few € extra for some better quality make:)

100 per cent on this . Avoid the 10/15 euro brushes . They are harsh and just push the shaving cream around rather than gently into your beard

• Advertisement

I started out on the Poraso products but you learn over time that spending a bit more on quality pays off. Now I use Truefit and Hill shaving cream and i highly recommend it.

What about Taylor of old bond Street cream? High reviews on amazon
    Daz_ wrote: »
    I started out on the Poraso products but you learn over time that spending a bit more on quality pays off. Now I use Truefit and Hill shaving cream and i highly recommend it.

What about Taylor of old bond Street cream? High reviews on amazon

Yes It’s decent , better than Poraso but not as good as Truefit in my opinion .

How's Astra superior platinum blades?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

PM me your address and I'll send you on a pack of each of the type of blades I have.

I think I've 4 different brand. I know I have some Astra blades and some Bolzano. I might have Feather blades but not sure.

I've not shaved with a DE in ages so can't remember what I've got anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Arrived today.
    Wish me luck :)

20200214-113437.jpg

Used mine last night it was a nice shave, loved the sound haha. Are the feather blades the best to get the closest shave? I found with the ones that came with it was about the same closeness (little better) than my Gillette sensor twin blade. If there are better ones will def try. Still nice though, and was a much quicker shave too. Now I will have to invest in a brush and a decent cream :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Best tip I can say, is try many different blades to see which suits you.
    I use Gilette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge as I found it agreed best with my skin, but they could be terrible for you.

tryablade.com allows you to buy single blades rather than packs so you can sample different ones and see what works.

Also if you don't mind waiting a bit, Maggards is a great site for supplies. Do a pretty decent beginners kit as well. Usually takes about two weeks to arrive I think.

Don't expect a perfect shave from one pass, you need to do with, across and against the grain to get a proper close shave. Also map your beard, as chances are the hair doesn't all grow the same way, especially on your neck.

no prob, tbh I don't have a beard and most I will ever shave is a few millimetres but just wanted to see how close it could get compared to my Gillette sensor cartridges. Will try a few others though. Would any of them get as close to say going in for a hot shave in Turkish barbers? I assume not but...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

If you do the three passes properly, yes.
    My regular shave is smooth face regardless of what way I run a hand over it.

I have just received Astra Superior platinum blades. Will update you soon how they are.
    I have ordered shaving brush and cream, which should come by Friday.
    I ordered everything from Amazon.

cool, you can fill me in later.

I have just received Astra Superior platinum blades. Will update you soon how they are.

Ive used both the Astra Superior and Feather blades. I prefer the Feather but not much between them.

zweton wrote: »
    cool, you can fill me in later.

I forgot to bring the blades with me today to post them. I'll get them in the post tomorrow evening so you might get them on Saturday.

My little DE shaving pack. Used Atra blades. Still difficult to shave around chin and below the lip area.
    Is it because of the Razor? Doesn't seem to be shaving the hairs properly there

20200222-093642.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Same for me, I just use a disposable 3 blade razor around my chin to finish off.

• Advertisement

My little DE shaving pack. Used Atra blades. Still difficult to shave around chin and below the lip area.
    Is it because of the Razor? Doesn't seem to be shaving the hairs properly there

You could try adjusting the blade by loosening it a half turn or so to get a more aggressive angle on the cut but just be careful

Didn't know we could do this.
    I always close the blade very tightly.
    I have also noticed 1,2, 3,4 written on the blade corners. Does this have to be in any specific order?

Thanks
    You could try adjusting the blade by loosening it a half turn or so to get a more aggressive angle on the cut but just be careful

I just searched for adjusting Edwin jagger razor. Nothing is showing up for the model I have, most results are for adjustable razors.

He means tighten the blade into the head all the way and then loosen by half a turn.

It will change the angle of the blade slightly so you need to be a bit more carful.

Also the numbers on the blade are just for manufacturing purposes.

Is there a tutorial video for this? I didn't find anything on YouTube.

And thanks for the other info.

Cheers
    hitemfrank wrote: »
    He means tighten the blade into the head all the way and then loosen by half a turn.

It will change the angle of the blade slightly so you need to be a bit more carful.

Also the numbers on the blade are just for manufacturing purposes.

Is there a tutorial video for this? I didn't find anything on YouTube.

And thanks for the other info.

Cheers

I followed this guy for lots of shaving tips.

https://youtu.be/0VClPqPMro4

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Alternatively consider using a shim, a blade with the edges removed sitting under the blade you use, again changing the angle, making the blade a little more aggressive

Did you use the shaving cream yet? Is it good? Have been using this one for years and its really good. This type still ok with new razor or?

https://www.origins.com/product/15877/11914/skincare/shave/shave-cream/blade-runner/energizing-shave-cream

Yes used it for the first time yesterday.
    Proraso Shaving Cream Tube Refreshing. It gave a dense leather. Will use it few more times and see how I find it.
    This Origins cream looks good and of high quality.
    zweton wrote: »
    Did you use the shaving cream yet? Is it good? Have been using this one for years and its really good. This type still ok with new razor or?

https://www.origins.com/product/15877/11914/skincare/shave/shave-cream/blade-runner/energizing-shave-cream

• Advertisement

Yes used it for the first time yesterday.
    Proraso Shaving Cream Tube Refreshing. It gave a dense leather. Will use it few more times and see how I find it.
    This Origins cream looks good and of high quality.

Its really good.

Advertisement