Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How relevant to you is the controversy over feminism?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

RayM wrote: »
    "Misandry" doesn't bother me because it's not really a thing.
    Well, I agree to differ on that one - misandry is very much real in the media and in advertising.

Reminder regarding the purpose of this poll - below is the original post:

Additional Poll: How relevant to you is the controversy over feminism?

In my other poll, a serious flaw has arisen and such is the exclusion of a vote option pertaining to those who have no real interest in the subject of feminism. This secondary poll is intended to not only address the above issue, but also to give a collective insight into how much effect the issue of feminism has had upon voters here. With such information, it is hoped that the original polling data will be more sound when set against a reasonable contextual background constructed by this secondary poll. Do bear in mind that some women will probably be voting here too, but they must understand that they’re voting on the issue of feminism only and not misogyny.

Regards,
    Middle Man

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

427039.jpg

Middle Man wrote: »
    You said earlier that I'm not interested in any advice regarding improvements in polling methodology - yet there's clear evidence to the contrary in my responses to constructive observations over the last couple of days. Also, if it doesn't really matter to you (either me or the content in the polls I'm conducting), then why are you still here posting - is that not rather contradictory?

It seems to me that what you're not interested in is constructive criticism from women, including highly intelligent, educated women who actually have something useful to tell you.

jimgoose wrote: »
    It seems to me that what you're not interested in is constructive criticism from women, including highly intelligent, educated women who actually have something useful to tell you.
    Constructive? Look who's talking! :rolleyes:

Your last post seems to liken me to the alt-right in the US - yeah, that's real mature and constructive! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Constructive? Look who's talking! :rolleyes:

Your last post seems to liken me to the alt-right in the US - yeah, that's real mature and constructive! :rolleyes:

Well there's strawmanning, and then there's taking the express trebuchet to La-La Land. I bid you good evening, and happy researching! :pac::pac::pac:

Well there's strawmanning, and then there's taking the express trebuchet to La-La Land. I bid you good evening, and happy researching! :pac::pac::pac:
    You really need to grow up!

You really need to grow up!

I'm not the one conducting Serious Research(TM) into Segway-riding Californian twit college-campus horseshit. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Advertisement

....... wrote: »
    OK, why don't you come up with a 'meaningful' poll - there's nothing stopping you!

I'm not the one conducting Serious Research(TM) into Segway-riding Californian twit college-campus horseshit. :D
    ...and I'm not the one that's slinging mud - really, why are people so childish???

BTW, you'd do very well to remember what country is propping up this economy - I agree that not everything is right in the US, but before you slag any part of that country off, you might consider where Ireland would be without the US - I say that as an Irish person!

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    It's nice to see a mature honest answer for a change!

...and I'm not the one that's slinging mud - really, why are people so childish???

BTW, you'd do very well to remember what country is propping up this economy - I agree that not everything is right in the US, but before you slag any part of that country off, you might consider where Ireland would be without the US - I say that as an Irish person!

I've been all over the World many times, I've been working for and with the Yanks for thirty years. Like Nathan R. Jessop, I've earned it. ;)

The earlier posters who had reservations about the first poll came up with constructive ideas regarding improvements that could be made to the polling methodology - those I have respect for. People who just sling mud and fail to at least demonstrate possible improvements are worthy of no respect. Far too many Irish people take the easy option of dismissing something without contributing anything meaningful.

She said it was biased because it was being conducted on a male forum. I said that the results were for use within, or in the context of, this forum. She basically went on to say that the results would still be meaningless.

Candie wrote: »
    Do you not think the results, garnered in a Mens forum that discusses negative aspects of feminism on an ongoing basis, will be somewhat biased?
    If the results were to be presented as representative of all men in society, then such would be dishonest. However, I'm not running these polls on a broad cross section of society - I just want to know how we as a whole on this forum view feminism regarding its impact on society. The main benefit will be the availability of data for individual posters regarding viewpoints on feminism. I may at some future point run a poll on a more general forum.
    Candie wrote: »
    It's still a self selecting sample. By definition it's those that have stronger feelings about feminism that will be likely to vote, those for whom it poses no concern and who care nothing or little, won't be interested enough to vote. More likely to be the case on a general forum too, I'd imagine.

With that in mind, the results are likely to have little real meaning.

Here are the posts in question!

Of course, I did put in an option on this poll for those who have no interest and I've also clearly stated that such would be summed in with the primary poll for the final results. Now, do some people not understand plain english?

• Advertisement

You say you're not interested but with clear evidence to the contrary, you should now go and conduct an alternative poll (to mine) yourself. Otherwise, you're only making a fool of yourself! Mud slinging is the easy part of any interaction - coming up with an alternative is the meaningful part!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

So as things start just over 79% of people are either not greatly affected, not very concerned or neither concerned nor interested by the so-called 'controversy over feminism'.

How is it mud slinging to offer constructive criticism?

It was you who used the expression "Now, do some people not understand plain english?" - was this supposed to be a meaningful comment?

Why do you think anyone would want to come up with an alternative to your meaningless poll?
    It is the likes of you that don't seem to understand plain English IMO! Also, double standards are alive and well.

So as things start just over 79% of people are either not greatly affected, not very concerned or neither concerned nor interested by the so-called 'controversy over feminism'.
    Megaphone talk!

That poll can be interpreted in different ways mate. In any case, it's not finished for another few weeks, so could you please have the courtesy to let people make their minds up before they vote!

srs pollz is srs bizniz

Why dont you say what you mean rather than passive aggressive comments and meaningless polls?

The likes of me? Who am I like? What am I like?
    Answer: BOBOOR (Bravery of being out of range)!

Your alias and posts here fit that description pretty well!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Middle Man, dial back the sniping please.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭marcus001

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

There's only one industry this could be...

Advertisement