Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

One year old walking with one foot out

• 13-09-2020 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

My 1 year old has started taking steps the last week or two. She only takes 3/4 steps at a time so far. I have noticed over the last few days that her right foot faces outwards when she is standing or taking steps instead of facing forward. I was wondering if this is common and if it will just correct itself and she will begin to walk properly with both feet forward or if it is something we should be concerned about? TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

I wouldnt be at all worried at this stage tbh, sure she is only finding out how to balance herself at this point! If in a number of months when she is fully flying around its the same or more pronounced maybe speak to a physiotherapist at that point for some guidance but when she is only starting out then I think you are needlessly worrying yourself.

We had our now 3 and a half year old at various physio appointments from he was 10 months old as he had low muscle tone so we were keeping a close eye on him and what we were told was that once they are making the normal progress then its completely normal for them to have some kind of a "gait" but in most cases it just corrects naturally as their little muscles develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Definitely wouldn't worry about it at all, it's super common and very normal in toddlers. It will self-correct over time, especially as she progresses to running.

Even up to about eight years old slight rotations of the foot like this are left alone to self-correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

It is common among toddlers but sometimes such issues become a problem in preteen or teenage. I remember my school friend has the same issue that's why she was wearing close boots all the time. I am not saying it is a problematic things because I noticed sometimes kids do such things attentionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Sarah1916

I just wanted to come back on here in case someone reads this in the future. My baby is now nearly 17 months and walks perfectly. The turn out only lasted a few weeks max.

Advertisement