Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Hi folks - I have a pre 2006 car & AM licence -am I right in saying I am limited to under 50cc?

I am 40 and looking for a commuter scooter / moped for a 32 km round trip through Dublin City.

I have searched - I promise!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Limited to below 50cc AND top speed below 45km/h. You need something bigger (and licence, IBT to go with it)

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭da wiseguy

Hi all,

Quick question - if you are not displaying L plates etc and are on a learner permit and get involved in an accident - does it or would it/could it affect insurance?

It's a condition of your learner permit, so technically driving unlicensed, so yes.

And insurers are trying every trick in the book these days to avoid paying out.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

da wiseguy wrote: »
    Hi all,

Quick question - if you are not displaying L plates etc and are on a learner permit and get involved in an accident - does it or would it/could it affect insurance?

If you mean affect the payout of insurance then no probably not. They'd be right b@stards to try and stop it for that and a solicitor would be able to overturn the decision in court. I've seen them still stand over policies and claims for a lot worse. You more likely punishment would be the guard dealing with the accident fines you for not displaying L plates which carry penalty points.

• Advertisement

Thanks Hotblack and unattendedbag - contrasting responses and yes it was with regards to insurance payouts (hopefully not ever required). So if the worst case potentially in unattendedbag's response is fine + points, I guess it's worth just wearing the thing to cover both responses (and I guess that would prevent riding on the N11 for 1 or two junctions at Bray where it goes to M11!!)

On a different, but related note - if you need to display the L front and back - essentially that prevents you wearing a backpack!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

you will want to take the back road anyway

Thanks Hotblack and unattendedbag

Well we're both right.

If you break the terms of your policy, the insurer will still pay out to third parties. BUT they then have the legal right to sue you and get back from you what they had to pay out, assuming you have any money...

Which back road...up behind ballybawn cottages and through enniskerry?

Well we're both right.

If you break the terms of your policy, the insurer will still pay out to third parties. BUT they then have the legal right to sue you and get back from you what they had to pay out, assuming you have any money...

Yes - both right indeed. In either case I guess it is just safest to wear the thing to cover either possible eventuality. I just got the impression that "nobody bothers to wear them" so was thinking it might just be commonly accepted and therefore not be a problem...but by the sounds of it that is not the case.

• Advertisement

Please enlighten me! :)

Please enlighten me! :)

Motorways are not fun

Motorways are not fun

Haha no, especially not in peak rush hour. Would much prefer to know the best way round it up into the city centre! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

Hi Guys, quick question buying a new first bike soon. What sort of discounts could you expect if paying by cash? emailed couple of places only offered store credit no price reductions on bike.

Thanks

If you want money off you have to be there in person with cash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ Killian Large Motel

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Sorry to rehash info in here but I am getting myself very confused. I am looking to get a Cat A added to my license. I have a full B Licence that I got in 2005 and it has AM on it as well. So do I need the Learner Permit form D201 to get a new Learners permit? Do I need to do a theory test?

Did you do the old theory test with the car and bike? If you did then the full car licence will keep that theory test cert 'alive' meaning you can apply to the NDLS for a category A learner permit, if you never did a theory test then you must start from scratch.

To be honest it was so long ago I don't remember. Can I ring NDLS and ask them?

Yeah the NDLS will confirm all via your driver number or pps number

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Sorry to rehash info in here but I am getting myself very confused. I am looking to get a Cat A added to my license. I have a full B Licence that I got in 2005 and it has AM on it as well. So do I need the Learner Permit form D201 to get a new Learners permit? Do I need to do a theory test?

Just go to an NDLS office and apply for your Category A Learner Permit.
    Your old theory test was for both Cars and Bikes.
    Then you have to arrange IBT before you go on a bike to make you legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭honda boi

Did ibt with Mick Finlay (lookbehindyou) at the weekend.
    Great craic and man to deal with.
    Great lad to learn from,knows his stuff!!
    Have friends and family going to him shortly!!

Thanks for the info! I applied and got my Category A Learner Permit. Time to book somewhere to do the IBT lessons!

You had the old 'type 1' theory test then? The one that had both Category A & B on it?

• Advertisement

Yeah think so, in fact when I went to get the Learners A permit they said I didn't need the Eye test (which I did). I did my full test back in 2005 which included the bike theory test.

Had to get an eye test myself recently when applying for my full category A, although i have the trucks & buses on top of that as well.

So if you got it in 2005 then you had the 'Type 1' test done, you should also have a full category AM?

I'm just sorry i never got the bike test done sooner, no doubt you will feel like that once you get on the road.
    Have you a bike lined up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

When you do your IBT you'll be wanting to do it on the Instructors Category A bikes(usually 600cc+). You won't want a 125cc bike after that. Trust me, I inherited a 125 from my dad and was using it first. Did the IBT on a 600cc and cried going back.

Sold the 125 like 2 months later and bought a 600cc bike.

What would you be using the bike for in everyday life?

yeah my current full license has a "AM" on it already. Looking at bikes I was going to get an electric one for the laugh. But then I thought it would be a good idea to get a bike with gears first to get used to them. Second hand prices are quite a bit dearer than I was expecting. I know very little about bikes but I like the look of this:

https://www.bikeworld.ie/site/motorcycle/mash-black-7-125/
    As below, stick to over 600cc/50kw, the all instructors will have these bikes for the category A.

Would a 125 be enough for your commute? An electric bike would be interesting, apart from a brief stint with a hybrid car that is a different world of motoring.

Used prices are very high, thank god i'm not the only one who thought that.
    When you do your IBT you'll be wanting to do it on the Instructors Category A bikes(usually 600cc+). You won't want a 125cc bike after that. Trust me, I inherited a 125 from my dad and was using it first. Did the IBT on a 600cc and cried going back.

Sold the 125 like 2 months later and bought a 600cc bike.

What would you be using the bike for in everyday life?

Good point here, this is why i pointed out to LIGHTNING would a 125 be enough, even when i go from my own bike to the scooter the difference is huge.

A 125 is an A1 licence isn't it? I just went for direct access so haven't a clue

To be honest the bike wont be used that much so I don't really need anything too big/powerful. I have a classic Porscher that satisfies any need for speed :pac: Basically the bike will be used to scoot into the city centre so I doubt it will see any speed higher than 80k!

I will eventually go for the A full license which I can assume I can use a 125cc on (even though a A1 covers that)?

That's the speed bit sorted so :D

Totally up to you on this one, but it would be easier if you did the full A test rather than a lower category as this way you won't need to go doing an extra day out with an instructor to upgrade to the full A, frozenfrozen had that experience recently but i think his age was the reason why.

Once you have the full A you can drive whatever bike you want after a year of holding the full licence i was told by my insurer.

Stay away from Chinese made tat

And for the love of jaysus, unless you're a skinny teenager don't get a 125

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Wmadden

Lads , I have my theory booked for early next month, im over twenty five so every one is saying, go for the full A , that way you can ride any bike and don’t have to go back doing more tests or training, so I get my permit, do the ibt training, that’s all grand, but what next? Do I buy a 125? If I get a massive bike I wouldn’t get insured, What is the lowest cc bike you can do the A riding test on? Any help would be appreciated,

Wmadden wrote: »
    Lads , I have my theory booked for early next month, im over twenty five so every one is saying, go for the full A , that way you can ride any bike and don’t have to go back doing more tests or training, so I get my permit, do the ibt training, that’s all grand, but what next? Do I buy a 125? If I get a massive bike I wouldn’t get insured, What is the lowest cc bike you can do the A riding test on? Any help would be appreciated,

Over 595cc/50kw for the full A. Just do the lot on an instructors bike. You need to wait 6 months to take the test.

Stay away from Chinese made tat

And for the love of jaysus, unless you're a skinny teenager don't get a 125

You wouldn’t be a fan of Keeway then :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Wmadden

Over 595cc/50kw for the full A. Just do the lot on an instructors bike. You need to wait 6 months to take the test.

Cheers man, thanks for the reply!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭wallpapers123

Hi Guys,
    How does a Ninja 300 on a learner's permit sound? (Looking at a used one for around 4 grand)
    Initially I was planning to get an STriple, but since no insurance company is ready to insure me on that bike on a learner's permit, thinking of a temporary alternative, till I get my full license.
    I am new to riding in Ireland, but have ridden bikes in my home country for years.

Advertisement