Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice on descending

Options
  • 06-08-2019 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

I've dabbled in cycling over the years (I'm mainly a runner) but I've got more into it this summer and I feel I'm improving and taking on longer distances and bigger climbs. There's one part of cycling that I'm struggling with though... I'm quite cautious when descending, perhaps overly cautious. If I allow my speed to increase when descending and I hit a bump of any sort I find the bike often goes into a "wobble" and the only way I can get out of it is to slow right down, almost to a stop. The "wobble" can be quite scary and it feels like I'm going to lose control of the bike.
    I had the bike serviced and explained the problem to the mechanic but he could find nothing wrong. So it's obviously something I'm doing - or not doing. Any advice on good descending technique would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

daveboy01 wrote: »
    I've dabbled in cycling over the years (I'm mainly a runner) but I've got more into it this summer and I feel I'm improving and taking on longer distances and bigger climbs. There's one part of cycling that I'm struggling with though... I'm quite cautious when descending, perhaps overly cautious. If I allow my speed to increase when descending and I hit a bump of any sort I find the bike often goes into a "wobble" and the only way I can get out of it is to slow right down, almost to a stop. The "wobble" can be quite scary and it feels like I'm going to lose control of the bike.
    I had the bike serviced and explained the problem to the mechanic but he could find nothing wrong. So it's obviously something I'm doing - or not doing. Any advice on good descending technique would be much appreciated.

Doozerie, Lennymc and lumen have helpful posts here

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056681365/2

If you learn to swim, buy an ugly bike, loads of ugly gear and don't improve at descending there is a perfect sport for you

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭daveboy01

Thanks very much for that, a lot of good advice on there, the biggest point I'm taking from it is to relax - or at least try to. I guess it's something that hopefully will improve as I get more experienced

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

Sounds like speed wobbles.
    I've had a couple and they are scary.
    You need to use (part of) your body to apply a damping effect. Ideally by pushing your knee against the crossbar.

However I'd also note your comment that this happens often when you hit a bump. That brings other questions to light.
    Are you picking your lines right - you should be scanning the road a good bit ahead.
    What's your position on the bike, you should be down in the drops when descending to get weight onto the front end.
    Is there a mechanical issue somewhere, e.g a wheel out of true that makes the bike more susceptible to oscillation when it hits a bump.

A quick Google on cycling speed wobbles will give you lots of tips

rtmie wrote: »
    Sounds like speed wobbles.
    I've had a couple and they are scary.
    You need to use (part of) your body to apply a damping effect. Ideally by pushing your knee against the crossbar.

However I'd also note your comment that this happens often when you hit a bump. That brings other questions to light.
    Are you picking your lines right - you should be scanning the road a good bit ahead.
    What's your position on the bike, you should be down in the drops when descending to get weight onto the front end.
    Is there a mechanical issue somewhere, e.g a wheel out of true that makes the bike more susceptible to oscillation when it hits a bump.

A quick Google on cycling speed wobbles will give you lots of tips

Thanks for this. No issues with the wheels, I've had them checked. I've tried to move my position to down on the drop bars but it happened again at the weekend (when I hit a bump). I think it might be a confidence thing and that I need to relax... but yes maybe I need to consult google too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

A few things to consider..
    Do you know what your top speed is by any chance?
    While your wheels may look faultless by eye they might not be....
    How old are the wheels you got the wobble on? Ive had a few scares over time but always on older wheel sets.
    If you are holding the bars white knuckle tight this wont help...Relax the arms and dont grip as tight...
    Another factor is your own weight....The heavier you are the faster down hill you will go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

What kind of bike do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ridelikeaturtle

Read up on motorcycling techniques, all the same advice on apexes, braking, cornering, will transfer to cycling, knowing that you've got 1) tiny brakes, 2) a smaller tyre contact patch, and 3) effectively no sidewalls, so a lot less grip/traction.

But the knowledge will help you be more smooth and that should help things.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,298 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

would be curious as to whether it actually was speed wobbles you were experiencing - they seem to be a very rare phenomenon, would be very unlucky to happen you multiple times in short order i'd hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Do you always descend with your hands on the hoods? And are your elbows straight when you do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

As a matter of interest is it the same hill you're decending on that you have this effect happen?

• Advertisement

Descending is all about positive mental attitude. If you think it’s dangerous, if you think your going too fast, if you think your going to crash, you probably will.

If your not comfortable Descending at speed don’t. Nobody wants to end up in hospital or worse.

Enjoy your cycling and descend at a speed your comfortable with. Assuming your on a road bike, descend while hold the bars on the drops and try to relax. If you find your going too fast, brake gradually and anticipate any possible hazards.

The more descending you do, the better, more confident you will become.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Just to add to the above, if you're getting wobbles after hitting a bump for whatever reason, maybe try a bit of off road cycling or mountain biking where you're hitting bumps all the time. I found this stopped me getting nervous hitting bumps and gravel on the road. Another thing to consider is slightly wider tyres at a lower pressure which take out some road buzz and make things that bit smoother.

Thanks for all the replies folks, some really good advice.

- my bike is a road bike, a Giant Defy from 2013. The front wheel is two years old, rear wheel is original, so six years old. I had the wheels checked out by a bike mechanic and he said they're fine

- it's not the same hill where "the wobble" happens, it's happened me in different places

- my max speed is about 50 km/h - so not that fast

- I'm not heavy - 6'0" tall and 70kg

- I think I'm possibly holding the bars too tight and need to try and relax

- I was thinking back to some cycling I did last summer and I was flying downhill, so somehow I seem to have lost my confidence a bit.

- I'm planning a ride in the mountains this weekend so hopefully I can work on some of this advice. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭YoTaro

An idea might be to borrow a bike, go for few cycles and see how you go.
    If you still get the wobbles its you, if not its the bike. Be good to rule out the bike as the issue.
    For piece of mind

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

I had a friend - an experienced cyclist - and he got a new bike that produced a dreadful wobble very frequently. There was no clear explanation but a change of bike fixed it.
    Some blame loose head bearings but I don't think so.
    As suggested, try borrowing a bike.
    Learn to use the drops on all fast and technical descents - you have much more control over your bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

YoTaro wrote: »
    An idea might be to borrow a bike, go for few cycles and see how you go.
    If you still get the wobbles its you, if not its the bike. Be good to rule out the bike as the issue.
    For piece of mind

Second this. Assumption in general in this thread is its something you are doing but it's just as likely to be the bike. Your technique may well be as good as most others, eliminate the bike first

Check your headset bearings. If they are stiff or worn they will make descending tricky and could be the cause of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

The wobble happens when the resonance happens. The rider plus bike have a unique oscillation frequency. Nothing wrong about that, the issue starts when there is a constant force acting with similar intervals.

That force is coming from the wheels, as they are the only parts that work in oscillating fashion during descents. It doesn't need to be much - a slight bump in the tyre, a stone in the thread or just a bit of being untrue.

Once the oscillation frequency of the rider gets in sync with the impuls, the wobble starts. Slow down, or change position (to modify own oscillation frequency).

Advertisement