Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

tuxy wrote: »
    Yes well spotted

https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/lapierre-audacio-100-for-sale/22476149

I like the look of that bike. New 2019 model and looks like it's hardly been used but a S not M size would be better

a252ab75fa4b80b6aa81ba93de065922.png

5'7 is 170cm so you would be between two sizes on the chart. I'd advise to always go for the smaller option if between sizes. You can make a bike that's a bit on the small size fit with out too much trouble but it's more difficult and sometimes impossible to get a bike that's a bit too big to fit.

Just look at all the adverts for these bikes especially the ones that have not been used much. You can tell by the saddle height they were too small for whoever was using them so it's no surprise they didn't use it much.

I'd rather get it right as you say and go for the smaller size. Something will pop up yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Looking at so many ads I got confused! I suppose size is only issue ... :(

That was my issue when I got my first road bike years ago but it's only a matter of waiting and keeping an eye out.

http://www.adverts.ie/18449377

Another trek. They go up at some rate. Thanks to all contributing , you have probably saved me as I'd have bought a worthless piece of junk too big for me with out the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

http://www.adverts.ie/18449377

Another trek. They go up at some rate. Thanks to all contributing , you have probably saved me as I'd have bought a worthless piece of junk too big for me with out the advice!

I tend to browse Adverts and DoneDeal for bargains I really don't need, and spotted this!

https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/lapierre-audacio-400-road-bicycle-52cm-frame/22484104

Nothing wrong with the Trek you'd listed either, just the one I put up has a nicer set of components (looks like a newer series Tiagra) for a little less money!

Deano12345 wrote: »
    I tend to browse Adverts and DoneDeal for bargains I really don't need, and spotted this!

https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/lapierre-audacio-400-road-bicycle-52cm-frame/22484104

Nothing wrong with the Trek you'd listed either, just the one I put up has a nicer set of components (looks like a newer series Tiagra) for a little less money!

10 speed Tiagra at that price is fantastic value IMO!

• Advertisement

I'll contact that guy about the Lapierre. Is that frame size good for 5 7? I think it is?

52 is a medium, it's confusing how different brands size bikes differently.
    It might be ok but it might be slightly too big.

https://gyazo.com/b0cb40e7d004f490e60c852df0221ede

Something really odd that I've noticed.
    When sizing up a bike for myself the reach and stack are the two most important measurements.
    On the Lapierre Audacio the reach of the S is longer than the reach of the M.

I've no idea why that would be the case, it doesn't make since the top tube is longer on the M.
    I'm sure that either a S or M will fit you but can't figure out which is best.

52 is a medium, it's confusing how different brands size bikes differently.
    It might be ok but it might be slightly too big.

https://gyazo.com/b0cb40e7d004f490e60c852df0221ede

Something really odd that I've noticed.
    When sizing up a bike for myself the reach and stack are the two most important measurements.
    On the Lapierre Audacio the reach of the S is longer than the reach of the M.

I've no idea why that would be the case, it doesn't make since the top tube is longer on the M.
    I'm sure that either a S or M will fit you but can't figure out which is best.

That diagram confused the life out of me ha ha! I wonder if anyone looking in here has had one of these and could shed some light. It is annoying how all the different brands vary.

Looks like the Lapierre was sold on adverts for 320 yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Something to think about is that you're looking at ads from all over the country. What's the 5/6 hours it'll take you to get to Cavan/Galway/Cork and back + petrol worth to you. Especially if you go and don't like the bike. I'd limit the search geographically myself.

• Advertisement

Something to think about is that you're looking at ads from all over the country. What's the 5/6 hours it'll take you to get to Cavan/Galway/Cork and back + petrol worth to you. Especially if you go and don't like the bike. I'd limit the search geographically myself.

I know, I am only really looking at anything close to home but by searching wide it's giving me an idea of what's out there, pricing etc. I'd travel in Munster realistically unless it was a very good deal that someone would dpd down and that I could have an idea of size by trying the same bike down here.

https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/road-bike-for-sale/22511519?campaign=3

This one seems good, but I imagine the price should be less. Handlebars filthy! So must have some travelling done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭cletus

Wonder why there's one shoe left attached to the pedal

cletus wrote: »

The sign of a triathlete *yuk!* :P

cletus wrote: »

Storage he says...................

I'll contact that guy about the Lapierre. Is that frame size good for 5 7? I think it is?

I spoke to this guy, obviously I can't do anything until after 31st with being away. He won't take less than 360, but he has two more 52cm bikes after this one to sell, for some reason.

If I could try one in cork for size I'd be happy to collect it, as I have some friends I am meant to visit in Galway anyway.

A case of wait and see I suppose, but I'd really need to get to try it out for size first.

I like the giant but this size chart would indicate that size small is probably best for your height

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/_upload_au/rider_height_frame_size.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

OCR & SCR were old models from giant. Not sure, you can probably search it, but I’m guessing they stopped making them 8-10 years ago.
    The defy is a bit newer , but looks like an oldish paint job, and sora is a basic group set, probably 8 speed. You might get a 10 speed group set bike from a known brand for similar money if you have patience & keep looking.

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    OCR & SCR were old models from giant. Not sure, you can probably search it, but I’m guessing they stopped making them 8-10 years ago.
    The defy is a bit newer , but looks like an oldish paint job, and sora is a basic group set, probably 8 speed. You might get a 10 speed group set bike from a known brand for similar money if you have patience & keep looking.

It's a 2015 Giant Defy 3 with 9 speed sora, I think it's good for the money if only the frame was correct size.
    10 speed Tiagra on a good frame for under €300 is unlikely.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the input!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I spoke to this guy, obviously I can't do anything until after 31st with being away. He won't take less than 360, but he has two more 52cm bikes after this one to sell, for some reason.

Ask for a receipt before handing over any money, it is more than likely legit but no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Quick question, how do people rate the Cycle Super Store on Airthon Road?

Seems like that have plenty of choice and a second hand section out back.

Going to take a drive out to it tomorrow and possibly get something !

CramCycle wrote: »
    Ask for a receipt before handing over any money, it is more than likely legit but no harm.

Yeah it is an unusual one I thought as well. Now he's on adverts with a lot of decent reviews as well. As you say prob legit but you can never be too careful.

Any thoughts on the edge cycle shop in cork?

It's been a few years since I was in there but it probably hasn't changed much.
    Large selection of bikes,expensive prices. You probably won't find anything good for under €1k in there.
    Might be good if you could get the bike to work scheme.

https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/racing-bike-for-sale/22383902

Thought I was on a winner but looks like m frame

The helmet is medium
    The frame size is?????
    He says 20" which is 50.8 cm, very weird trying to give the size in inches when nobody uses that sizing method.
    I think I can see an L written on the frame in one pic so that's way bigger than he claims the frame is.
    I don't understand why people can't just give the details written on the frame.

The helmet is medium
    The frame size is?????
    He says 20" which is 50.8 cm, very weird trying to give the size in inches when nobody uses that sizing method.
    I think I can see an L written on the frame in one pic so that's way bigger than he claims the frame is.
    I don't understand why people can't just give the details written on the frame.

20 inch, 50cm, says on Google that is an m frame. Very strange alright

• Advertisement

20 inch, 50cm, says on Google that is an m frame. Very strange alright

I think he's trying to convert it to some very old system where a 20" frame would be a fairly large size. No idea why as that sizing has not been used for a very long time. Or maybe mountain bike sizing where 20" would be large. Either way he just made the number up.

Advertisement