Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Prime time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Foaming at the mouth about the male population = perfectly fine

Foaming at the mouth about immigrants committing crime = deeply problematic

WOKE logic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

It now seems that they were mistaken. We don't know how close they were to the actual attack and what they actually saw. From the reports emerging today regarding DNA evidence examined, the Gardai say it is not possible that the suspect held, had committed the crime. The Gardai were acting on information received and have now concluded their investigations in that particular regard. They have prevented a potential miscarriage of justice by undertaking a professional investigation. There are often non productive routes in crime investigation, but they have to be pursued until concluded.

The investigation now continues in probably more difficult circumstances, without a main suspect. The bike that they have discovered seems to be a focused line of investigation - how long will it take for someone to provide information about it?

This case, like many others, may well rely on additional people coming forward with partial information that can be added to other evidence and we do not have a good track record on that in this country. There are many long term high profile cases still open because Gardai believe someone knows, but hasn't said.

I hope for the sake of the family in particular and society in general, that anyone who has fact or suspicion comes forward as soon as possible. Bring the info forward and let the Garda investigation take its course.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

seems like they jumped to conclusions and pinned it on the local 'oddball'

I wouldn't be critical of people giving recall evidence after such a traumatic event. They did their best but human recall can be very unreliable, particularly when trauma is involved.

There is however a lot of jumping to conclusions in society generally at the moment and some of the comments posted on this thread are worth re-considering under mature reflection and in the light of the actual outcome concerning the man held.

The Gardai have to be allowed to do their job, and society needs to help them to do so, by providing information and letting them do the investigations.

Dreadful optics here for the guards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Old_-_School

A lot of murderers in Ireland have just gone about their business as usual after the murder, thinking that running away would arise suspicion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,062 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Anyone know was the fella seen near Aisling (as in trying to help her if that is the case) or was he just in the area and got mentioned by the witnesses?? If he had been trying to help why would he leave the scene?? That in itself is probably a minor crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭recode the site

It’s the train of communication that is wrong. The impression was given or widely taken that they had caught their man pretty much red-handed. Details about the individual got posted widely. There seemed to be no other person possibly under suspicion. Just a matter of waiting for the official evidence.

Then he is justifiably released as innocent of this crime, but everyone in town knows who he is. There is a murderer on the loose and all we know is they are connected with a bicycle. Unless we have been on Twitter we have not the vaguest idea of the description of the person, who could be anywhere.

Can I get away with anything if I pay the piper, so to speak?

How? Within 24 hrs they arrested and investigated a witness identified suspect and eliminated him from the case. The Garda commissioner was on scene pretty much immediately to supervise the investigation.

The reporting about the suspect held in some traditional media outlets (mainly print), and on many internet and social media platforms has been very questionable. How does any of this reflect badly on the Guards in these very early days of the investigation?

The messages to media by AGS strongly indicated they had their man , they don't also tend to hold a completely innocent person for a full twenty four hours

• Advertisement

Did they hold him for 24 hours though. The blokes name and photo was shared all over social media. I know they’ve brought him to a safe place but they could have done that hours before they released their statement to ensure he wasn’t followed by the press.

All the above is just guesswork on my part

Official communications do not get described as 'messages to media'.

Some of the reporting agencies publishing quotes regarding this case are not even media organisations. All too frequently these days various reporting agencies, traditional broadcast/print and otherwise are falling over themselves to get the word out first - often when they should hold back for verification. The Guards can not be blamed for a lot of the quote reporting that gets attributed to them and circulated. Public demand for instant gratification often results in bad reporting, particularly with new internet based media outlets.

An officially released Garda position comment I heard reported yesterday afternoon said that the Guards 'were keeping an open mind'. That was a formal communication statement officially released and it spoke volumes in terms of what then actually happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭NATLOR

AGS also communicated that 50 officers were being assigned to the case. That they would leave no stone unturned to solve the crime and they were appealing for info on the bike

These indicate they weren't that confident they had their man

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes this was the first thing that stood out to me yesterday, why have 50 on the case if they were no longer seeking anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Absolutely.

Head gangster in a gangster regime.

I was just trying to explain why his visit to Ireland might not be on everyone's radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Old_-_School

I don't feel any sympathy for the man released from custody without charge.

He committed violent crimes in the past.

That puts him on the suspect list every time there's a violent crime in his vicinity in the future.

That's on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭irishproduce

There doesn't seem to be a dedicated thread for this discussion about the murder in Offaly. It's a pity because it's being discussed on TV this eve so discussion on the forums would be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Receiving pictures there on whatsapp of a chap cycling the bike the guards are asking about. CCTV pictures taken of a screen.

If he's the culprit it's going to be very interesting how the woke crowd reconcile it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I have no idea.

Are todays rumours of who did it any more accurate than yesterday's rumours of who did it.

Wait & see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭bigroad

Would he be a chap with a bit of a sun tan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭bigroad

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is the bike in the photo released by Gardai the actual bike or a similarish model, ie there could be differences on the actual bike?

Main story on the independent ticker says the gardai have CCTV images of their main suspect cycling the bicycle around Tullamore. Those are the CCTV images I was sent.

Who knows until they release a statement which should be today.

If latest rumours prove correct ?, I doubt any discussion whatsoever will be permitted about this murder

That's how explosive it is for the progressive left and the causes they champion ,RTE will need to have NGO heads on round the clock for months on end

The " hate speech " laws will be fast tracked

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so have they charged the second guy yet? or is he still being questioned?

I've thought that myself. If the rumours are true, how will the woke crowd be able to reconcile two seemingly champion causes for them colliding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭Xander10

not been questioned. getting the best of medical care in hospital to make him better, at the moment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement