Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The 'what have some travellers somewhere done this time? thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

Raw sewage from the Finglas halting site pumped the Tolka river as well??

Anyone living along the Tolka should be taking notice

• Registered Users Posts: 28,981 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

touts wrote: »
    They have had 150 years since they went on the roads to make better choices and they have consistently and often deliberately made choices with bad results for themselves. Now if it was only harming themselves you would say that is free will. But those choices also harm their children and society in general. At some point choice has to be removed as an option from them to protect everyone. The legal system is based on the removal of the option to make bad choices and it is time that system was fully applied to the travelling community just as it is applied to the rest of us.

the legal system is fully applied to the traveling community. travelers are not exempt from the laws of the land or being subject to the powers of the legal system. however, the reality is that we have an under-resourced and under-funded police force, which means that trying to catch people who can move about easily and be gone from an area quite quickly, is quite a hard task to carry out, because the manpower isn't available. to change that is in our hands by making policing and justice an election issue.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

hurler32 wrote: »
    Drugs, machine guns , stolen items , cocaine pressing machine , a monkey no less ...seems like the guards found everything there expect anyone who does a days work . Do Fine Gael still think travellers are great people ?

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/crime/three-people-released-from-custody-after-caged-monkey-drugs-and-guns-seized-at-halting-site-37988256.html

"Two brothers as well as a close female relative of the duo were taken into custody last night".

The wife of one of the brothers, is the other brothers cousin...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,789 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

"Two brothers as well as a close female relative of the duo were taken into custody last night".

The wife of one of the brothers, is the other brothers cousin...

So she's her husband's cousin, nothing new there.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

The two men have been released without charge

OF COURSE THEY HAVE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Drugs are a menace and laws should be much much harder on scum like these.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭touts

OF COURSE THEY HAVE!

Justice industry only makes money off the criminals they keep on on the street committing repeat offences not criminals they put in jail committing no lucrative crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

OF COURSE THEY HAVE!

The monkey has admitted full responsibility for everything and the rest are free to go

• Registered Users Posts: 7,789 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

The woman who is in her 30's has been charged, she has been released and will appear in court at a later date.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Napalm

.....;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

This just makes my blood boil. They are growing further and further apart from the rest of the settled community and there's a feeling this will boil over at some point. Those scumbags should be sent to join the foreign legion or be dropped into Syria as unharmed reconnaissance

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

the legal system is fully applied to the traveling community. travelers are not exempt from the laws of the land or being subject to the powers of the legal system. however, the reality is that we have an under-resourced and under-funded police force, which means that trying to catch people who can move about easily and be gone from an area quite quickly, is quite a hard task to carry out, because the manpower isn't available. to change that is in our hands by making policing and justice an election issue.

You're absolutely right, Gardai are doing their best with what they have, but they're bringing these guys up to the judge and the judges are giving out joke sentences if they give one at all, judicial reform has to become an election issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

it's been a while since I read all 21 pages of a thread, that video is some shameful carry on, more so due to the fact the poor uneducated kid was actually talking sense back to joe telling him he can't drink it fast.

tusla are a dangerous crowd of enablers of terrible behaviour in kids and atrocious parenting.

i grew up around travellers and it breaks my heart when you see innocent toddlers that haven't a clue of the lifetime of horrific pain and suffering that's ahead of them. honestly i don't know if it would be better for them to be taken away from their parents and if that's not possible then sterilise them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Have Pavee Point issued any statement yet...??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

the legal system is fully applied to the traveling community. travelers are not exempt from the laws of the land or being subject to the powers of the legal system. however, the reality is that we have an under-resourced and under-funded police force...

I'm sure that if I were filmed feeding Guinness to a child who should be sitting in Junior Infants rather than sitting in a pub, this same under-resourced and under-funded police force would be knocking on my door in short order.

How can you claim with a straight face that the the legal system is "fully applied" to Travellers? They routinely get away with tax evasion, welfare fraud, criminality, violent feuding, anti-social behavior, not educating their children, bare-knuckle brawling, astonishingly high levels of domestic abuse, and numerous other things that are against the law.

An average Joe will get hauled over the coals if he makes a mistake on his tax return. But we have "unemployed" Travellers driving around the country in 191 vans and fighting each other for a 70k purse.

They are not subject to the same standards of scrutiny and legal enforcement. Not by a long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

washman3 wrote: »
    Have Pavee Point issued any statement yet...??

It happened over the border.....

I'm sure that if I were filmed feeding Guinness to a child who should be sitting in Junior Infants rather than sitting in a pub, this same under-resourced and under-funded police force would be knocking on my door in short order.

they would if it is reported. unless it is reported or the gardai find out about it in some way they may not come. the gardai may be aware of this incident but not have enough evidence to bring any actual charges. either way, if they know about it there is no way they wouldn't investigate it.
    How can you claim with a straight face that the the legal system is "fully applied" to Travellers?

very easily. travelers are before the courts and are jailed for various crimes. if this wasn't happening then you would have a point but it is so clearly they aren't exempt from the laws of the land.
    They routinely get away with tax evasion, welfare fraud, criminality, violent feuding, anti-social behavior, not educating their children, bare-knuckle brawling, astonishingly high levels of domestic abuse, and numerous other things that are against the law.

cab and revenue i believe carry out raids from time to time, there have been plenty of such reports of such in the media over the years. as said above, travelers appear in court for various other crimes which are reported in the media when it happens. domestic abuse unfortunately requires the victim, or a witness to the abuse to report it. so i can certainly agree that is something that does slip through the net unfortunately.
    An average Joe will get hauled over the coals if he makes a mistake on his tax return. But we have "unemployed" Travellers driving around the country in 191 vans and fighting each other for a 70k purse.

so will a traveler if caught defrauding the tax man.
    They are not subject to the same standards of scrutiny and legal enforcement. Not by a long shot.

because the police numbers aren't there to catch them all. however when travelers are caught they face the same standards as everyone else. they are not exempt from the laws of the land ultimately. it's on the government and electorate's head that the police numbers aren't there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

How can you claim with a straight face that the the legal system is "fully applied" to Travellers? They routinely get away with tax evasion, welfare fraud, criminality, violent feuding, anti-social behavior, not educating their children, bare-knuckle brawling, astonishingly high levels of domestic abuse, and numerous other things that are against the law.

You might as well bang your head against a wall, than try to talk sense into some people. Some posters see themselves as the Patron Saint of Lost Causes.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

very easily. travelers are before the courts and are jailed for various crimes. if this wasn't happening then you would have a point but it is so clearly they aren't exempt from the laws of the land.

cab and revenue i believe carry out raids from time to time, there have been plenty of such reports of such in the media over the years. as said above, travelers appear in court for various other crimes which are reported in the media when it happens. domestic abuse unfortunately requires the victim, or a witness to the abuse to report it. so i can certainly agree that is something that does slip through the net unfortunately.

because the police numbers aren't there to catch them all. however when travelers are caught they face the same standards as everyone else. they are not exempt from the laws of the land ultimately. it's on the government and electorate's head that the police numbers aren't there.

your full of manure and pretty much everybody in this country and far far away knows you're talking through your ar$e, an individual traveller can and will accumulate a hundred or more convictions and still receive light sentences, can be put off the road several times for long periods and still be driving yet get away lightly, but if it was one of us in the court with 10% of their records we'd be feeling the full weight of the law down on top of us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

pure.conya wrote: »
    your full of manure and pretty much everybody in this country and far far away knows you're talking through your ar$e, an individual traveller can and will accumulate a hundred or more convictions and still receive light sentences, can be put off the road several times for long periods and still be driving yet get away lightly, but if it was one of us in the court with 10% of their records we'd be feeling the full weight of the law down on top of us

I have to disagree. I think eotr is bang on the money. Our prisons have a high proportion of male and female travellers.

The issue with travellers is that they accept prison as part of life. That isn't the case with our general population.

Having said that, there is no shortage of home grown scum with 100s of convictions who are walking the streets.

• Advertisement

pablo128 wrote: »
    I have to disagree. I think eotr is bang on the money. Our prisons have a high proportion of male and female travellers.

The issue with travellers is that they accept prison as part of life. That isn't the case with our general population.

Having said that, there is no shortage of home grown scum with 100s of convictions who are walking the streets.
    This comes up time and time again in traveller threads. No one is going to dispute that "settled" people have a criminal element that don't give a fcuk about society and will lead a lawless life. The issue is one of percentages. Far more travellers commit crimes than their settled counterparts because they are groomed from a young age to do so, as evidenced in the video at the beginning of this thread. They are not taught to go to school, get a job, get married and pay a mortgage. They are taught to leave school before the Junior Cert, get married to a cousin before 18 and pay for it by filling out social welfare forms and supplement that gravy train with a few extra curricular activities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    This comes up time and time again in traveller threads. No one is going to dispute that "settled" people have a criminal element that don't give a fcuk about society and will lead a lawless life. The issue is one of percentages. Far more travellers commit crimes than their settled counterparts because they are groomed from a young age to do so, as evidenced in the video at the beginning of this thread. They are not taught to go to school, get a job, get married and pay a mortgage. They are taught to leave school before the Junior Cert, get married to a cousin before 18 and pay for it by filling out social welfare forms and supplement that gravy train with a few extra curricular activities.

I get that, and I am certainly no defender of travellers. However they do get imprisoned just like anyone else. There was nothing wrong eotr's post which was attacked.

I get that, and I am certainly no defender of travellers. However they do get imprisoned just like anyone else. There was nothing wrong eotr's post which was attacked.
    EOTR's post makes it sound like they are held to the same standards as the rest of society, which clearly they are not. How many settled families have funerals where the Guards have to check the graveyard first for slash hooks? CAB have raided some halting sites but it's not uncommon to see travellers in flashy cars or graves with flashy headstones. Everyone knows how they pay for these things but we're not allowed to say anything or we're racist. RTE treat them like some sort of downtrodden, disadvantaged class and anyone who publicly says otherwise is committing PR suicide. Yes a lot of them end up in jail (eventually) but they also get away with far more than your average, law abiding citizen.

It's not just "settled" people who think like this. Ask any foreigner who has had dealings with them what they think and they can't believe how much they get away with. The Guards, the legal system and social welfare system all know the score but no one knows how to deal with the problem. Seriously, what are we supposed to do with people who want to live off society but not follow societies laws?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Funny enough that’s the same lad fighting for that purse and feeding his toddler the Guinness.
    He’s also traveller royalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

They get imprisoned due to the tsunami's worth of crime they commit. To rack up the number of convictions you hear that some of these lads have you'd need to be commiting crime 24/7.

pure.conya wrote: »

actually you may not as there are plenty of settled people with similar ammounts of convictions who continue to get light sentences. in general sentences in ireland are light bar very serious crimes and even those sentences should be raised.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Compare that to a decent parent.

"They don't give a rats - it's horrible to think they are allowed go around like that because if it was my son harming someone like that I'd kill him myself."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

So...whoever wins that "fight" gets 70k?

The fight is common knowledge of who's in it and where it is. So why aren't the social welfare going after the winner to stop his payments for 5 years? If you are signing on you have to declare any new income you may receive.

Unless you're a traveler of course. So lie down on the end of that road with that bull****.

• Advertisement

So...whoever wins that "fight" gets 70k?

The fight is common knowledge of who's in it and where it is. So why aren't the social welfare going after the winner to stop his payments for 5 years? If you are signing on you have to declare any new income you may receive.

Unless you're a traveler of course. So lie down on the end of that road with that bull****.

you are assuming that the wellfare staff are aware of it. they may not be given they can't be aware of everything.
    perhapse you could alert them to this fight and give them the details? they would have to act on a complaint.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement