Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rebuilding Ireland home loan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

What the hell? Someone I work with is currently on an extension. My approval is up in a bit over a month, this didn't even occur to me as a risk.

Jfc I hope this is some sort of weird misunderstanding on their part or I'll lose my fecking mind.

I feel like crying. Spent 5 months getting outbid on every house we went for & now literally can't househunt for the final 6 weeks of our AIP. Then we have to start all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Benci

optogirl wrote: »
    I feel like crying. Spent 5 months getting outbid on every house we went for & now literally can't househunt for the final 6 weeks of our AIP. Then we have to start all over again.

This is a joke, the scheme is supposed to help people getting their own home... We applied in 2019 still waiting for appeal decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Will be looking for an extension also. How can they expect people to make offers and then commit to spending hundreds of thousands of euro on something they've never seen or set foot in due to level 5 restrictions. Madness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

During covid particularly they should offer an extension. I think you will be able to put them right. I would email my local TDs and Minister for Housing also. Lots of people have received extensions and no reason why you should be different. Probably just another stressful hiccup along, stay calm and just to get to work sorting it and I would be very surprised if they didn't extend.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gandalfio

donfers wrote: »
    During covid particularly they should offer an extension. I think you will be able to put them right. I would email my local TDs and Minister for Housing also. Lots of people have received extensions and no reason why you should be different. Probably just another stressful hiccup along, stay calm and just to get to work sorting it and I would be very surprised if they didn't extend.

We asked our local authority. The response was 'you can view homes virtually through photos and videos and we will therefore not be granting any extensions'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Proporridge

Antho12 wrote: »
    I want to give a bit of hope to everyone on here since I was watching this thread every day during my own Rebuilding Ireland journey and I think it’s important to share good experiences as well.

I’m a single applicant and was given 5x my income by Dublin City Council, which is far more than what any bank was willing to lend me. The whole process took only 3 months from first application date to final approval plus an additional 3 weeks to get the cheque issued to solicitor (due to Christmas break). Everyone I dealt with in DCC was very responsive, helpful and kind during the whole process.

Of course each application is unique and conditions, delays, etc. might differ depending on what county you deal with. But to anyone who is now like I was then, thinking that getting a loan with Rebuilding Ireland would be a very slow and painful process, all I can say is that my own experience was quite the opposite. I’ll make sure to come back on here to help where I can. Best of luck to every one.

Hi just wondering if you could confirm after you were approved in principal did the council send out an engineer to approve the property you were purchasing or did they instruct you to get your own engineer? If you had to get your own engineer could you confirm exactly which council you applied with ie fingal etc I am currently fighting with donegal county council who send out their own engineer to accept and independant engineer report otherwise I have to wait until we are back into level 3 restrictions before he will come out! Already 7 months into the process with no delays on my end stuff requested always back into them within 7days and we are still 7 months in! And I am buying the house I am currently renting so didn’t gene have to go hunting for one it’s becoming a nightmare

Emailed DCC asking what documents etc we need to apply for an extension (our AIP is up on 18th March and obviously we can't house hunt at the moment). this was the response

Hello Optogirl,

Unfortunately we are not giving extensions.

Regards

What an absolute kick in the teeth.

These councils are actually making me sick we are in a global pandemic and they are refusing to adjust a simple process to facilitate the times!! It’s taken me 7 months to get to the point where I am approved in principal submitted all the documents they asked for in relation to the property I’m buying (I currently rent it so didn’t have to even go looking) and I’m waiting 2 months on their engineer to come out and approve the property im currently fighting with them to accept an independents engineers report otherwise I cannot move in the application at all until we go back to level 3 restrictions!!! God knows when that will be and there is no way my landlord/vendors is going to hang about for months they will sell to someone else and I’m (single mum with 2 kids) out on the street as soon as the restrictions on eviction are lifted!! Absolute joke

Time to round up the troops and ring Joe Duffy!

Time to round up the troops and ring Joe Duffy!

I’ve done something along those lines waiting to see what the outcome is going to be fingers crossed it gets things over the line!! Unfortunately it all seems to be not what you know but who you know

Jafin wrote: »
    I'm with Clare County Council and I had to organise an engineer myself.

Thank you for coming back to me appreciate it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

So what now then, are we supposed to start just applying again before our AIP is even up or...? Is the scheme being wound down or something?

So what now then, are we supposed to start just applying again before our AIP is even up or...? Is the scheme being wound down or something?

It sure feels that way. The fact that I got a one line response rather than 'no extension but here's what you need to do'. So disappointing.

We're 41 now so repayments are going to be huge if and when we ever do get to draw down.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Antho12

Hi just wondering if you could confirm after you were approved in principal did the council send out an engineer to approve the property you were purchasing or did they instruct you to get your own engineer? If you had to get your own engineer could you confirm exactly which council you applied with ie fingal etc I am currently fighting with donegal county council who send out their own engineer to accept and independant engineer report otherwise I have to wait until we are back into level 3 restrictions before he will come out! Already 7 months into the process with no delays on my end stuff requested always back into them within 7days and we are still 7 months in! And I am buying the house I am currently renting so didn’t gene have to go hunting for one it’s becoming a nightmare

I applied with Dublin City Council, they didn’t send their own engineer, I had to hire a surveyor myself to do survey + valuation. This was during the previous level 5 lockdown so either your council’s engineer or your own engineer should be able to get this done now. If not you might consider looking for another surveyor.

Antho12 wrote: »
    I applied with Dublin City Council, they didn’t send their own engineer, I had to hire a surveyor myself to do survey + valuation. This was during the previous level 5 lockdown so either your council’s engineer or your own engineer should be able to get this done now. If not you might consider looking for another surveyor.

Perfect thank you! My councils procedure is to send their own engineer waiting for him is going to lose me the house I’m buying and my current home in one so it’s not an option I spoke to the area manager today and she is going to ring around other councils to see what they are doing and If they accept external engineer reports as I told her from reading on here they do. I told her Clare and Dublin do this but she asked me to specify which Dublin council so I just wanted to be able to tell her if she comes back to me. Fingers crossed this will make them adjust their procedures to suit the current pandemic situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Lauren52

Emailed DCC asking what documents etc we need to apply for an extension (our AIP is up on 18th March and obviously we can't house hunt at the moment). this was the response

Hello Optogirl,

Unfortunately we are not giving extensions.

Regards

What an absolute kick in the teeth.

We are with KCC, I asked about this as we are purchasing a new build which might not be ready before within the 6mts. I was told that once we had found our property and submitted the forms it would go to credit comittee again and approved as contracts have been drawn etc so we went ahead with signing them.
    Hopefully You got someone who does not know what they are talking about.

Lauren52 wrote: »
    We are with KCC, I asked about this as we are purchasing a new build which might not be ready before within the 6mts. I was told that once we had found our property and submitted the forms it would go to credit comittee again and approved as contracts have been drawn etc so we went ahead with signing them.

We don't have a property though.....or any way of finding one within the next 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Jafin

Perfect thank you! My councils procedure is to send their own engineer waiting for him is going to lose me the house I’m buying and my current home in one so it’s not an option I spoke to the area manager today and she is going to ring around other councils to see what they are doing and If they accept external engineer reports as I told her from reading on here they do. I told her Clare and Dublin do this but she asked me to specify which Dublin council so I just wanted to be able to tell her if she comes back to me. Fingers crossed this will make them adjust their procedures to suit the current pandemic situation.

I can't believe how every council does everything completely differently, it makes no sense to me. You would have thought there would be a "master document" or something sent round to every council giving the procedures they need to stick to.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Benci

Jafin wrote: »
    I can't believe how every council does everything completely differently, it makes no sense to me. You would have thought there would be a "master document" or something sent round to every council giving the procedures they need to stick to.

I agree! I know people who got 4 extensions already, my second extension declined, and is same council. (same situation as the house is not finished yet). There is no general regulation for this scheme?

Was on to DCC this morning. No extensions. He kept saying 'please god you'll find sometihng by March'. Really man? Would you hand over a third of a million for a something you'd never seen? I am so pi**ed off right now.

Was on to DCC this morning. No extensions. He kept saying 'please god you'll find sometihng by March'. Really man? Would you hand over a third of a million for a something you'd never seen? I am so pi**ed off right now.

Bizarre. And did he say anything about applying again?

• Advertisement

Bizarre. And did he say anything about applying again?

yes we have to start the application again and have to wait until this one is up. Christ. Do they enjoy making work for themselves?

yes we have to start the application again and have to wait until this one is up. Christ. Do they enjoy making work for themselves?

So basically for no reason at all, they're putting us out of the game until June/August. Great stuff, nice one DCC :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6 CKenna

Can two screenshots of two bank online mortgage calculator showing insufficient offers be used for the 2 refusels ?

CKenna wrote: »
    Can two screenshots of two bank online mortgage calculator showing insufficient offers be used for the 2 refusels ?

This varies by council. DCC and Fingal accepted screenshots no problem, SDCC insisted on insufficent offer letters (you can get one of these within an hour from AIB's online application if you have your stuff handy, so that's one)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭KH1591

Lauren52 wrote: »

We were told the same, once you've found a property, signed contracts and there's a valid reason you haven't drawndown in the 6 months they will grant you an extension.
    With delays to the building now I'm sure people will be asking for a few more months to finalize everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 grape86

Hi, apologies if this has been asked already-Is it possible to apply for the help to buy in conjunction with this scheme, if purchasing a new property? Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

grape86 wrote: »
    Hi, apologies if this has been asked already-Is it possible to apply for the help to buy in conjunction with this scheme, if purchasing a new property? Thanks

Yes, that is allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 14 estabon

Hi proporridge I've just applied with donegal Co Co I'm just wondering which area you applied and hoping I don't have the same problems.. Mine is with the housing agency two weeks now we've applied to letterkenny, also do you have to pay the councils solicitor fees?
    Thanks IA

I've queried the weird DCC extension situation with my local TDs, one of whom says he's already awaiting a reply on a similar case.

• Advertisement

I've queried the weird DCC extension situation with my local TDs, one of whom says he's already awaiting a reply on a similar case.

That would be me! Have emailed everyone & they are grudgingly considering a 3 month extension. In a global pandemic.

Advertisement