Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping A Bike Under A Lean To

• 25-12-2018 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭

Hi
    we have recently moved into a new house which has a wooden shed at one side of the house and a gated lean to at the other side. My smallie got a bike off Santa today so I'm looking storage options for her bike and mine. I am planning to keep them secured under the lean to but I'm wondering if this is good practice? They would be dry at all times but would be exposed to changes in temperature, would this be a big issue? The shed isn't huge and the lean to is a lot more convenient but obviously I'd like to hear the advice of those in the know here.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'd be concerned about dew.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If you're concerned about rust, a lean to won't provide any protection against moisture in the air. Even a wooden garden shed won't protect against rust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭bungaro79

Thanks guys, I was thinking that moisture of some sort would be an issue. Is there anything ye would recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Bikes are meant to be used outside so unless they are super cheap or super expensive there isnt much to worry about (imo) keep them clean and keep them lubricated and they should do alright.

All my bikes and kids bike stay outside. Few rusty bolts on the cheap kids bikes and faded paint on my bikes is all that I've experienced. My bikes are cycled in all weather too so i dont try keep them pristine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

All bikes will corrode if left outside. It also depends on how often you ride your bike and how you maintain your bike. If you don't maintain it and leave it outdoors in winter, the bike will deteriorate over time.

If you care about your bikes, keep them indoors.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155633432226230&set=gm.2385850508157016&type=3&theater

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

I keep bikes under a lean to and there have been no issues. Not as good as inside but not being stripped by the weather. Works well and unless you have a 3k+ bike I think it's a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I've had to keep my bikes under a lean-to for the last 17+ years. Things of note:

Tyres, vinyl/rubber (saddles, grips) and some printed decals will degrade/fade in sunlight/UV - try to make it as opaque as possible, or at least exclude direct summer sunshine.

Allow some wind to blow through if possible - mine uses IKEA shower curtains as a door, and in the beginning, I tried to make it as windproof as possible, and many of the small chrome fittings went rusty. Things are much better with a 20cm gap at each end of the curtain.

Brooks saddles don't like the damp of deep winter (like around now), and one of mine used to form white mould - a coating of Proofide (not wiped off) protects the saddle until the Spring.

To prevent corrosion of chrome, steel or aluminium, ACF-50 is brilliant - widely available in motorcycle shops.

Old shot of my lean-to (with too-wide curtain and non-opaque roof, opaque lining since placed under roof to shield bikes from light):

3w4FZoF.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭bungaro79

Thanks for all the replies everyone

Advertisement