Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've just taken delivery of this http://www.santinisms.it/en/men-jackets/meridian-winter-jacket-335.html, so no excuse to not cycle tomorrow if the temp goes as low as its claimed and maybe give a little review.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Weepsie wrote:
    , so no excuse to not cycle tomorrow if the temp goes as low as its claimed and maybe give a little review.

Weepsie wrote:
    I've just taken delivery of this

Decent looking jacket, looking forward to your review.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

thought I'd tackle a segment I'd been eyeing up today, 1.3km 5%.
    Made it up but wasn't easy, I'll be back
    fingers frozen again. still need proper gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

Weepsie wrote:
    I've just taken delivery of this

That's really nice

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Bloody colder than yesterday. -2 for about an hour but felt like an age!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭secman

Out to blessington and back through Manor Kilbride, 48.5 km Avg 25.6 kph. Was bitter cold this morning but thankfully a dry one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Weepsie wrote: »
    I've just taken delivery of this http://www.santinisms.it/en/men-jackets/meridian-winter-jacket-335.html, so no excuse to not cycle tomorrow if the temp goes as low as its claimed and maybe give a little review.
    did it get an adequate test?

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭disco1

post this for friday...102 km from costa teguise to el golfo in lanzarote 22.0c fantastic day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

Pretty nice leaving the house but once I turned at Ballymore it was straight into the snow. Got home in time for the match. Serious burn in my quads for the first half...

https://www.strava.com/activities/862510136

• Registered Users Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

disco1 wrote: »
    post this for friday...102 km from costa teguise to el golfo in lanzarote 22.0c fantastic day.

I was in lanzarote last weekend, but didnt have time to rent a bike. Did a tour of the island and some great cycling roads through the national park and la geria, with good little climbs.

Thought about going out in dublin this morning....nope

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

The AA is tweeting that the Sally Gap is impassible this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Chuchote wrote: »
    The AA is tweeting that the Sally Gap is impassible this morning.

It's completely frozen didn't stop some gob****e in a tour bus trying to go over it mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Club spin and we decided to try seek shelter from the wind but it proved fruitless at time. Very cold at times and messy back roads meant for a less than enjoyable spin.

Got relief when heading back to base and speeds went up while still under control, nice to end a spin in such a way.

100km with AVG speed of 28.8km and just 650m of elevation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Club spin, went with the quicker group this morning, as numbers were low, struggled with the pace and the wind, 3 of us turned back after 30+ km.

One of those punctured shortly later, and decided to call a lift, then the other bonked with about 10km from home as we were passing his parents house, so he bailed, it was his first spin in 3 months.

So had to do the last bit on my own, the wind was cruel,

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Club spin this morning, really felt the last 20k but I'm blaming that headwind we had for first 45k or so.
    Only 9 of us out so turn at the front came round faster than usual.

https://www.strava.com/activities/863827729

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

did it get an adequate test?

Not yesterday due to how long it took my body to get over the shock of running. I did take it out today however with just a merino base layer and it for layering to start and a light gilet in pocket should I need it.

Decided I had only the energy to get to the Phoenix park and do a loop or two. That escalated to 5 laps, and ambled around Farmleigh very slowly too for a break.

Headed for home when I'd done 5 laps, but being so close to 100 km by then, I took a detour via Finglas and did 100 km for the day, albeit a very slow 100 km. I was average 24 kmh for the first 2 hours, then slowed a little, but last 20 km I wa woefully slow.

Wind was seemingly constantly in my face no matter which loop I did, or direction I faced. Going down hill at the Magazine fort was rather slow when you can normally zip down there quickly. There was numerous passages of sleet too for good measure.

The bad weather meant the park was relatively quiet which was nice, and seeing the mist and snow on the Dublin Mountains looked good. It will probably be my bad weather place for cycling as there are plenty of places to get coffee and take shelter, even if it is a little dull.

https://www.strava.com/activities/864070786

As for the jacket. Brilliant. Might be the best bit of kit I own. I put the gilet on after a bit as the wind was so in my face going downhill that I felt it on the chest, but other than that I was neither too warm, nor cold at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Tough out there this morning with that strong cool Easterly - we went SW for the first 55km until coffee in Portarlington - and suffered a bit on the way back battling the headwind, but managed our 100km spin.......but not before a car literally swerved into the group near Kilmeague !

Driver then pulled back out, stopped suddenly and reversed back down the road at a crazy speed nearly hitting another car, and then took a left turn and sped off - being slightly dazed/shocked at what had just happened, we only got part of his reg. and when we visiting the Garda station later to formally report it (we had phoned in at the time of the incident), they couldn't make a match between the reg and vehicle type.

Then got home to hear about that awful incident in Rathcoffey which claimed a young woman's life ! Tragic news, and I can't help thinking we could have been looking at a serious injury or worse in our own group also thanks to the actions of this unhinged individual !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Myself and a fellow cyclist (him leading) nearly side swiped on our commute but someone pulling into the bus lane on the rock road, tbh it was almost a brown pants moment :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Cycled The Barrow Way with a lovely lovely tailwind on Saturday. It's currently idyllic with the grassy bank.
    The grassy bank is due to be replaced by hardcore so chances to enjoy it as it is are going to come to an end soon.
    CX bike, easy pace all day, lovely spin.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Chilly one out there today, and being passed by a Funeral cortege going up Cruagh road made me think of the poor woman from Orwell who died over the weekend which added a further shiver. Stiff enough headwind and misty rain going up by Pine Forest but even a filthy outdoor spin in poor conditions beats having to do an hour on the turbo this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Chanced a quick spin on Monday after two lovely days on bike Sat & Sun.

Bit tight for time and rushing but threw on a new chain and bottom bracket and hopped on bike out the door into the darkness for a 30km spin on a few quite roads. Little voice in my head "did I squeeze those pinch bolts on crank? fcuk it's grand I have multi tool anyway" I didn't and I didn't.

Sure enough crank came off about 10km in, in the middle of nowhere! Contemplated a 10km one leg cycle but after 2.5km I was bollixed, that and the shame of going through a neighbouring village like a one man freak show convinced me to call the wagon.

The B&M IQ-X is still impressing on a side note

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

ford2600 wrote: »
    ... convinced me to call the wagon.

That's a nice name to call your other half when she's doing you a favour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

That's a nice name to call your other half when she's doing you a favour!

It was my brother in laws van, kinda looks like a wagon 😀

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

ford2600 wrote: »
    It was my brother in laws van, kinda looks like a wagon 😀

So a bro wagon rather than a broom wagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭joey100

A very very short 2km spin from Harry's bikes to work. Had to leave in the new build to get the front derailleur sorted, just couldn't get it done myself. So 1st spin ever on it was the short spin back to work. It's a supersix evo and it feels great, coming from a Scott CR1 pro and even though that's a good bike can feel a bit of a difference, feels a bit livelier or something. Looking forward to getting out on it properly now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Disc brakes are starting to fade on my Giant defy 2. Nearly rear ended a car on the way to work, things are bad when you can't outbreak a car! Time to bring it in for a service methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

40km around NCD this morning in 1hr 30. Can't wait until my youngest starts school in September so I'll have more time to get out for longer...

https://www.strava.com/activities/867059164

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Another slow 25k around Kilternan, Pine Forest and Cruagh at lunch, not helped by unusually heavy traffic. Highlight was meeting a small herd of deer on Pine Forest road, though pleased to have been climbing it rather than descending at that point. A bit wet and windy but not bad for all of that. Slowest time ever for the route thanks to having to stop for traffic twice and to take a call once, ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

New route for commute - not loving it. Too much stopping and starting and really narrow roads.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Devil's Elbow / Featherbeds etc.
    https://ridewithgps.com/trips/12985535

Dangerously windy across the Featherbeds, cold, didn't have overshoes on.
    51k. 886m el.

Strava gives me 802m and max 56.5kph
    RidewithGPS gives me 886m and max 73.4kph. (actual reading on eTrex unit)
    Me ahrse......good bye Strava.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/868490504

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement