Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you own a car

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭ Maverick Wonderful Column

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

I did own a car, but it broke down, and being the dope that I am left it sitting in my driveway for 3 years before getting rid of it. I cycle most places, but if I need a car I can get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I bike commute to work and a bit further sometimes. I go out on the bike at the weekend but its also usually the only time the car gets used too. I love it though, it's fast and fun and I wouldn't be without it!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Pablo Rubio

Lawr wrote: »
    I have a car. It's really old, like myself, but it works, like myself. I cycle to work, but take the car if I need to get the groceries on the way home or if I know the wind will be gale force 9 or greater. I would say that I cycle to work five days a week most weeks, though occasionally, I take the car. I have two bikes. I have put less than 30,000 miles on the car in the six years or so that I have owned it. I love driving, but I hate drivers. It was either a gun or a bike. I went bike.

I have 2 cars(one she drives & one I hardly ever drive) , 2 guns and 4 bikes . I hate driving , like shooting , and love cycling. If the wife suggests I get rid of a bike I tell her I'll have to get more guns.......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I don't own a car, but I joined GoCar (the Brompton is very handy for getting to and from the bases), so I have access to a fleet of cars and a van.

Using GoCar costs me a few hundred a year, because I use the bike or public transport for all but the most inconvenient of journeys. It's a good option if you rarely drive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Rezident wrote: »

If you work in the city centre and you start at 9 - 9:30 how do you anticipate avoiding traffic?

I don't, I don't, and by result of both, I do!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Yes, I have a car. Haven't driven it in 2 years though. Cycling is easier, and much less stressful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

By the way (I hope it is not too much off topic) - how do you like my new jersey :)

One%20Less.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I own a car that I couldn't do without as I live in the sticks and need to get to the airport and back once a week at times the bus doesn't coincide with. The car sits in the airport untouched for a week while I commute to work. Then I fly home and try and get out for spins on my time off.
    I own 3 bikes at the moment and use them all, and drive the car almost every day I'm in the country. I should get a cheaper car as the tax is now almost 600 a year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I'll give you my car keys when you pry them from my cold, dead hands

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Thread title should be "Do you own a cage".

Have two motorbikes if that counts. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

Yep. Drive a lot for work all over the county. Then there are school runs and weekly shopping and trips to family and golf etc. Love my bike but its for health and fitness tbh. If you have a family and live in a small town you need a car. Don't have any problem with cars. It's never the mode of transport that is the problem, it's the individual using it. As cyclists we meet probably tens of thousands of cars without issue. A handful are idiots but that's life. A Di*k is a Di*k whether he's driving a car or cycling a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭thebourke

i commute to work all year round on the bike..i have a car but never drive to work....i use the car for shopping and driving down the country...

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Sagi

Asd I'm close to 30 years now, I finally decided to make my license, so from next year on I'll have a motorcycle, still no car for me.

I hope I don't get fat and lazy, but I guess that's what's going to happen :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭JMcL

Cycled everywhere when I lived in Dublin and rented a car for the odd weekend I needed it. Down the stick now, so need a car as quality of public transport shocking, but have commuted most days this year on 2 wheels and intend to continue over the winter

Seweryn wrote: »
    By the way (I hope it is not too much off topic) - how do you like my new jersey :)

One%20Less.jpg

nice, where could you get one of those?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Sagi wrote: »
    nice, where could you get one of those?
    There are few shops that stock these, i.e. this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Asd I'm close to 30 years now, I finally decided to make my license, so from next year on I'll have a motorcycle, still no car for me.

I hope I don't get fat and lazy, but I guess that's what's going to happen :-(

You do know that's not the way it's supposed to be done? :pac:

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    You do know that's not the way it's supposed to be done? :pac:

enlighten me , please

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

enlighten me , please

i think he means your supposed pass your test and the dept of transport send your licence to you , making your own is generally frowned upon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

One car, one van and two bikes. We live about 25 miles from Dublin, I commute into Dublin by bike but use the car for long haul or haulage. The Van is essential to my partner's business but she does the odd spin out on it.

Ok, I'm not a native speaker, langauage fine tuning still has to be done....

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

1 bike, no car. Live in Dublin 8, work in Dublin 2, no point in wasting money on car ownership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

1 car, 1 camper van, 6 bikes.

Got a bigger car during the summer to fit more bikes in!!

Car gets out at the weekends and 2 trips to sports during the week. Commuting is done by bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

No car, can't afford one and Dublin is too small for me to justify buying one. I wanted to get a licence and get put on my ma's insurance and just sit on it to lower costs but I've no incentive to do the theory test because I won't drive.

The road racer and all-mountain bikes I plan to buy are cheaper than a cars cost for the first year.

• Site Banned Posts: 161 ✭✭John37

The trend seems to be that cyclists with dependents to support need a car and that single people who don't have kids to transport around can make do without one. Its one of our luxurys that we can rely on the bike to travel everywhere. I only use the bus or train for long journeys down the country or if the weather is so bad i.e gael force winds, snow.

Advertisement