Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male guest outfit

• 13-09-2019 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭

Hi, been a very long time since I've been to a wedding. What is the accepted male outfit as in does it have to be a suit and tie or can I go smart casual ( suit jacket and smart shirt or collared polo)?

I'm not family just a guest.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭skallywag

I guess it is very much down to individual taste. Personally I would have no issue if you dressed as you describe.

I know of others though who see it is an affront.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Springfields

Thespoofer wrote: »
    Hi, been a very long time since I've been to a wedding. What is the accepted male outfit as in does it have to be a suit and tie or can I go smart casual ( suit jacket and smart shirt or collared polo)?

I'm not family just a guest.

Thanks
    Depends on what type of.wedding it is..if.its a church number a suit and tie would be fairly standard...but assuming you know the couple getting married you should be able to judge if smart casual would be ok ... if your not sure then err on the side of caution and wear a suit. You can always remove the tie and jacket later..
    Collared polo shirt is.far too casual imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Just back from the shops and delighted I bought a suit jacket.
    I have to give a big thank you to the shop assistant ( which I did in store) who very subtlety walked me through the process of trying on formal wear and gave honest advice on fits, colours etc.

I never get the opportunity to really wear a suit but when I tried in my jacket, pants formal shirt and they fitted nicely I felt kind of, proud, how it looked.

Formal it is and now I can't wait.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Springfields

I have to give a big thank you to the shop assistant ( which I did in store) who very subtlety walked me through the process of trying on formal wear and gave honest advice on fits, colours etc.

I never get the opportunity to really wear a suit but when I tried in my jacket, pants formal shirt and they fitted nicely I felt kind of, proud, how it looked.

Thanks.

Great stuff. Have a great time

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lunamoon

Anything but jeans/denim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sir Guy who smiles

Thanks.

A lot of people shy away from suits, but when they get a well fitting one they start to like it.

You can start pricing tuxedos now!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

A lot of people shy away from suits, but when they get a well fitting one they start to like it.

You can start pricing tuxedos now!:)

I have to agree with you on this.
    It felt great to dress up, I even pushed the boat out and rented a high end car for the weekend.

So not only do I want to start wearing formal clothes more often I now want a fancy car to match!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sir Guy who smiles

I have to agree with you on this.
    It felt great to dress up, I even pushed the boat out and rented a high end car for the weekend.

So not only do I want to start wearing formal clothes more often I now want a fancy car to match!

Great idea. I was going to hire a classic car for my 10th wedding anniversary but it didn't work out.

Hope you were able to impress someone by giving them a lift!

Advertisement