Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tonne bag of logs Vs small net bags

Options
  • 15-09-2019 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Hi

I know it's approximate guess but how many net bags you see in the garage would make up a one tonne bag of logs

My guess is those bet bags are approx 10kg and from what I read one tonne bags are 200-300kg. So based on that I don't see a great saving. Locally I can get the one tonne bag for 130 euros. And a bag of logs is 6/7 euro.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

Isn’t the weight of a tonne 1000kg?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭allycavs

dam099 wrote: »

No they are just put into the builder bags . They are called drop bags or one tonne bags. They would take a tonne of gravel or sand. But there's alot of air (empty space) when filled with logs . Don't think they are stacked but just piled in

• Registered Users Posts: 35,625 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

dam099 wrote: »

If you fill a ton bag with feathers it would not weight a ton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

i get logs in stacked in crates by the cubic metre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

Are the net bagged logs the same quality as the tone bags?
    From my experience the net bagged logs are inferior by a long shot. Hard to light and burn , giving off little heat. Maybe area dependent.
    Make sure to compare like for like, it’s not all about price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭rn

All timber sources have to be checked for quality. A tonne bag can just as easily be full of unseasoned softwood as a net bag.

The stacked crates seam to come from kiln dried outfits and are a single wood type, so would be best quality.

I see many of hardware stores in Midlands are doing kiln dried hardwood stacked crate for 189. Which would be much better value than the loosely filled tonne bag at 130.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 BogBoy84

rn wrote: »
    I see many of hardware stores in Midlands are doing kiln dried hardwood stacked crate for 189. Which would be much better value than the loosely filled tonne bag at 130.

130 is an awful price for a tonne bag, even for hardwood. A tonne bag of hardwood should be around 80-90 and a tonne bag of softwood should be 60-70.

I have never purchased those kiln dried hardwood crates but at more than twice the price of normal hardwood I couldn't justify it.

Also if you're buying firewood make sure you check the size of the bag. A 90cm bag is not 0.9m3, its 0.729m3, an 80cm bag is 0.512m3.

Also a "tonne bag" is a tonne bag of sand/gravel and not a tonne of firewood. A m3 bag of softwood will weigh approx 250kg. You will get about 31 small net bags to a m3 bag.

The biggest thing to check when buying firewood is its moisture content. The lower the better, air dried will be less than 25% but if seasoned properly it will be 18-20 which is perfectly acceptable. Kiln dried will be around 12%. I personally think the extra cost of kiln dried is not worthwhile.

Ya agree re kiln dried timber. I do find it can burn too fast and hot in my stove and it's very difficult to set draught to burn it nicely. Local place sells Lithuanian hardwood and a match would light it.

While air dried hardwoods seems to be much easier to burn nicer.

Avoid softwood, unless it can be mixed with hard wood, 2 logs to 1 or 1 to 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 BogBoy84

rn wrote: »
    Ya agree re kiln dried timber. I do find it can burn too fast and hot in my stove and it's very difficult to set draught to burn it nicely. Local place sells Lithuanian hardwood and a match would light it.

While air dried hardwoods seems to be much easier to burn nicer.

Avoid softwood, unless it can be mixed with hard wood, 2 logs to 1 or 1 to 1.

Softwood aint too bad, spruce particularly I like. In a big stove with big logs it burns away quite nicely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement