Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Electric Shower install

• 15-09-2019 7:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭

A friends daughter lives in an Apartment All water is pumped except cold tap in kitchen

In the Hot press is a Tank which consists of a Hot Water Tank and a Cold water storage combined all insulated with foam you know the ones

She really wants the convenience of an Electric Shower but the Shower Rose will be as high if not higher than the Storage Tank level when its on the wall

Is it possible to install an Electric Shower in this situation could i pump the cold outlet from the tank into Electric shower

A mains fed shower will not work water pressure is all over the place

thanks
    Xl500

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

xl500 wrote:
    A friends daughter lives in an Apartment All water is pumped except cold tap in kitchen

xl500 wrote:
    A mains fed shower will not work water pressure is all over the place

If the water is Pumped what I would do is install a mains fed shower but rather than connect it to the mains I'd connect it to the pump. In fact on a full new install we point blank refuse to connect a mains fed shower to the mains supply as the client will rarely be happy with the result in the long run.

A mains fed shower connected to the pump is like connecting to the mains in that its now pressurised. It's pressurised but unlike Irish mains water this will have constant pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭xl500

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    If the water is Pumped what I would do is install a mains fed shower but rather than connect it to the mains I'd connect it to the pump. In fact on a full new install we point blank refuse to connect a mains fed shower to the mains supply as the client will rarely be happy with the result in the long run.

A mains fed shower connected to the pump is like connecting to the mains in that its now pressurised. It's pressurised but unlike Irish mains water this will have constant pressure.

Thanks Sleeper

Can you point me to a Triton mains shower suitable for that or another one you would recommend

is it a common install to connect a mains Electric shower to a pump cold supply

xl500 wrote: »
    Thanks Sleeper

Can you point me to a Triton mains shower suitable for that or another one you would recommend

is it a common install to connect a mains Electric shower to a pump cold supply

It is common to install mains fed showers to pumps, particularly if there is already a pump there. Calling a mains fed shower "mains fed" really just means it needs to be pressurized. It need min 3/4 or 1 bar of pressure. A pump can provide these requirements better than Irish mains water.

Any mains fed shower will be suitable. Personally I go with tried & tested Triton T80Z but any will do. There is a much better selection of mains showers compared to pumped electric. There are all sorts of shapes, sizes & colours. Personally I try stay away from showers with a PCB board as they can be expensive to repair. I will point out though that Triton & Aqualisa showers bought from the UK (this includes screwfix & some B&Q showers) have no Irish warranty. Some of the models aren't sold in Ireland & you wont be able to get parts for repair in Ireland. Then again some are that cheap that you'd just replace them rather than repair them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Those combined storage tanks are usually small (btw I've only seen a few) so you would need to be careful not to have a high output shower that might empty the storage faster than it fills incl. storage.

Perhaps this is rarely a concern, Sleeper?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Wearb wrote:
    Perhaps this is rarely a concern, Sleeper?

I never really thought about it before until you posted it. Electric shower would be fine but if it was a slow filling tank then a power shower might not be a good idea @14 litres per minute

Electric shower is only putting out 3 to 5 litres of hot water per minute. I don't know how many litres of water the tanks hold but I'd guess there is enough water for a 15 /20 minute shower and that's without it filling up at the same time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement