Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volvo Ocean Race 2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

xtradel wrote: »
    The mention of Peter Gabriel playing here may have come from sombodys arse :rolleyes:

as long as Manu Katché is with him I don't care whose arse it came from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Any Saw Doctors?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭deisedude

Lads don't ye know a WUM when you see one!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

xtradel wrote: »
    Actual acts announced so far:

Ryan Sheridan
    The Stunning
    Kanyu Tree
    The Deans
    Stephen James & Band
    Túcan
    The Amazing Apples
    Hot 8 Brass Band

Sharon Shannon & 42 piece orchestra
    About as interesting as a day spent listening to GBFM. Exactly the kind of stuff i thought it would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Any Saw Doctors?

It doesn't appear that the Saw Doctors are playing which is pure bullsh1te. They are great performers and gets every one all lively. I love them. They were playing in venues up and down the country for the past couple of years but avoiding Galway for some reason and avoiding a major event happening in Galway.

• Advertisement

yeehaw wrote: »
    Give me 5 minutes and I will post a screen shot of my Skype with Peter, who came across as something of a bell end if I'm honest.

Coming up in my thread talking smack about arses. This is my house! Tumble dry

Do you ever contribute anything useful around here?.

Was it supposed to be funny, posting different acts..... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭squonk

That 5 minutes is long gone.

It's a pity because the actual acts are ones you could catch any day of the year really. It's not a bad line up but I'd love to see something bigger given the event that's in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

Pic not working- will alter

• Registered Users Posts: 31,813 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Screw you Yeehaw with your Peter Gabriel. That had my heart jump in hope!

I know the Saw Doctors are in England on the 7th of July so they are probably planning a few festivals over there around that week...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I can't wait to see Peter Gabriel, it'll be the highlight of my year.
    I really hope he is playing.
    Really really hope.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

125605.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Now if today was the 1st of April :D:D. I think ye been had re the acts supposed to be coming

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Wompa1

ilovesleep wrote: »
    It doesn't appear that the Saw Doctors are playing which is pure bullsh1te. They are great performers and gets every one all lively. I love them. They were playing in venues up and down the country for the past couple of years but avoiding Galway for some reason and avoiding a major event happening in Galway.

I believe there was some unpleasentness between them and the kingpins of event management in Galway. The Saw Doctors wanted to use a tent out in Salthill for a gig that the Arts festival had and the tent was going to be there sitting empty for 2 days, so they offered to rent it out for 2 gigs but were told no. Or at least that's what I remember from a few years ago. There was a suggestion they had problems with the same event management people before when trying to get a gig setup in town so maybe they've figured enough is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭littleteapot

I like the Amazing Apples and the Deans but I don't think they're big enough for this. Couldn't they have got bigger bands? This is very underwhelming

I like the Amazing Apples and the Deans but I don't think they're big enough for this. Couldn't they have got bigger bands? This is very underwhelming

Sounds like they just rang the Roisin and looked for contact numbers for each of the bands! Who was on last time? I'd expec a biggish UK act really. All these we can see any night of the week in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,851 ✭✭✭thesandeman

The Atlantic Pirates would be brilliant for this. As well as being great musicians they would suit the theme of the event. Surprised Padraig hasnt used his influence to get them involved yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I believe there was some unpleasentness between them and the kingpins of event management in Galway. The Saw Doctors wanted to use a tent out in Salthill for a gig that the Arts festival had and the tent was going to be there sitting empty for 2 days, so they offered to rent it out for 2 gigs but were told no. Or at least that's what I remember from a few years ago. There was a suggestion they had problems with the same event management people before when trying to get a gig setup in town so maybe they've figured enough is enough.

wow, so the biggest band to come out of the west are being denied playing in their hometown by some egotystical pen pushers - is this true? such a pity. The saw doctors will be still rocking the crowd when the pen pushers crawl under their rocks, if this is the case. how petty.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭boogaloop

Very underwhelming in my opinion - this is a huge international event, Galway have been very lucky to get the race finale here. A lot of eyes are going to be on our city, and I really hoped they would pull out a few more stops than the usual Sharon Shannon & The Stunning. Don't get me wrong, good bands but considering the Abu Dhabi stopover had Coldplay.....

Very disappointed tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's Ireland, we can get away with that stuff.
    U2 would be cool though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

boogaloop wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, good bands but considering the Abu Dhabi stopover had Coldplay.....

Probably funded by some money one of the sheiks found down the back of the sofa.

• Advertisement

Yeah and I know the country is broke but surely Bord Failte could pony up some cash? It can't be that tight seeing as this is a major international event and one that's great for tourism.

Aside from that, what about the Chamber of Commerce/Galway City Council? There's no Red Arrows this year but why are they content with a largeish crowd when by putting some money in the pot and getting a Muse/Kasabian/Roxy Music/Whoever? they could draw in a lot more punters.

What's there to come to Galway for now? The Stunning/Sharon Shannon and some boats, and a bit of craic, in other words, the same thing there always is to come to Galway for. They need a Wow factor and while Coldplay are probably too big for Galway, there's nothing holding up some Tier B acts. The Coldplays and U2s of this world have massive tours with huge entourages and lots of equipment so the cost would be very high but there are lots of other bands who can play The Olympia or similar spots that would be perfect.

I'm a bit disappointed now really, especially after that muppet Yeehaw yesterday. What a tool! In fairness to him though, it's one or two acts like he mentioned that should be on the cards. What they've got right now just smacks of laziness and compalcency and not to mention, doing things on the cheap.

biko wrote: »
    It's Ireland, we can get away with that stuff.
    U2 would be cool though.

nah, leave them where they are - they might be cool on the east side of the country but here in the west we have more taste. :D

Oh ye of little faith. Those bands are all warm up acts (I think some might even be made up lol). We are waiting on the ink to dry on the agreements with the big guns before announcing it. I had an e mail from Jedward's people earlier and they are also on the agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

squonk wrote: »
    Yeah and I know the country is broke but surely Bord Failte could pony up some cash? It can't be that tight seeing as this is a major international event and one that's great for tourism.

Aside from that, what about the Chamber of Commerce/Galway City Council? There's no Red Arrows this year but why are they content with a largeish crowd when by putting some money in the pot and getting a Muse/Kasabian/Roxy Music/Whoever? they could draw in a lot more punters.

What's there to come to Galway for now? The Stunning/Sharon Shannon and some boats, and a bit of craic, in other words, the same thing there always is to come to Galway for. They need a Wow factor and while Coldplay are probably too big for Galway, there's nothing holding up some Tier B acts. The Coldplays and U2s of this world have massive tours with huge entourages and lots of equipment so the cost would be very high but there are lots of other bands who can play The Olympia or similar spots that would be perfect.

I'm a bit disappointed now really, especially after that muppet Yeehaw yesterday. What a tool! In fairness to him though, it's one or two acts like he mentioned that should be on the cards. What they've got right now just smacks of laziness and compalcency and not to mention, doing things on the cheap.

Regardless of if there's some more acts being announced soon I'm sure that the organisers can look at it and say-
    it's the final leg so Galway will be packed anyway, regardless of if we have a BIG name band or not.
    Most acts mentioned are Irish so it's showcasing Irish artists. I'm no fan of SShannon but with 42 piece behind her it'll be impressive.

Oh ye of little faith. Those bands are all warm up acts (I think some might even be made up lol). We are waiting on the ink to dry on the agreements with the big guns before announcing it. I had an e mail from Jedward's people earlier and they are also on the agenda.

i think I will be coming down with a flu on the night they are in town. :D

seriously tho, a world event and they come up with two laughing hyenas to entertain. Are you sure ??

Fair enough YeeHaw but right now there's an awful lot of talk with no evidence to back any of it up. You never came back on the IM snippet yesterday so I think a lot of people could be forgiven for being disinclined to believe you at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Was just talking to my good mate Peter Gabriel over at Phil Collin's house in Nigeria and he told me yeehaw never once was in contact with him about the boat thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

Come on people do you think for a minute that anyone from the Volvo organisers would post like this guy, he is making it up about which bands etc are coming and fooling the lot of you.

dolan-duck-gooby-pls-6689_preview_tiny.jpg

• Advertisement

Coming to think of it, I'm pretty sure Peter Gabriel doesn't handle his own bookings anymore either. It's not like giving Noelie McDonnell a shout to see if he's available on a day. Noelie would be a good choice for a gig actually!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement