Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

o2 ' please call me' texts

• 29-12-2006 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭

Hey everyone,
    My friend is getting plagued by text messages from a number he does not recognise - the texts always say something like ' can you call me on this number 086XXXXXX - to call back press the 'dial now' option' . He thinks someone may be using this number to steal credit from peoples phones, so he doesn't want to text or call the number from his mobile. Could this really be a scam?Also, his phone will ring once, and before he can answer it, it's gone and it's a missed call from the same number. I advised him to ring the said number from a landline, but he can't try that until he's back in work

Have any of you gotten such texts or calls??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Just a pranker id say. Call me texts can be sent for free from o2 to o2 by typinging *103*phoneno#
    Probabably someone just messing, wouldn't worry too much. Just ring back off landline or block number and see who answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

If it's really pissing you off it may be worth giving O2 a call and reporting it. And if you've got a couple of extra mins file a quick report with the guards.

Who knows, maybe he's done it to others too and they've done the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭twanda

Thanks guys.
    He reported it to O2 and asked them to block the number, but they said they couldn't and it was probably someone just pranking - they didn't seem interested. I guess he will have to put up with it until it stops.

He hasn't been pranking anyone else.

Nah, didn't expect them to be able to block his number for you. Try filing a report with the Guards aswell if you're walking by...

Not sure if it'll have any major effect but others may be having the same problem and maybe one Guard, or one customer care agent may notice something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Sorry to drag this up again.

My wife has got two of these messages today.
    Best to ignore them for now I guess?

kleefarr wrote: »
    Sorry to drag this up again.

My wife has got two of these messages today.
    Best to ignore them for now I guess?
    There's nothing malicious in them really .. maybe someone sent them to your wife by mistake. I really wouldn't worry about it unless you're getting them every five mins ..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I always thought o2 limited such messages to avoid such abuse?

Advertisement