Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-06-2020, 10:15   #31
colm_mcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooey Looey View Post
I was always a filter coffee man. I changed to Nespresso years ago and wasn't long changing back to beans. The reason wasn't the price, I felt guilty about all the waste going to landfill.
There are tonnes of compostable pod options now.
Advertisement
27-06-2020, 10:18   #32
mr_edge_to_you

Now that the economy is in the crapper is it still called a “boutique”?
27-06-2020, 10:26   #33
aw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk View Post
For €200 you would be better off on looking out for the €240 deals that pop up from time to time on Delonghi Automatic Bean machines.

Ok, it wouldn't include the coffee, but bags of beans are so much cheaper then Nespresso pods, it will be cheaper overall after just a few months.

I went from the original Nespresso Machines to a Delonghi a few years ago, at the time I wasn't sure given the expense, but it has worked out as one of the best investments I've ever made. If it broke in the morning I'd buy a new one straight away without hesitation.
Curious about the cleaning of these type machines. Is it much of a burden?
27-06-2020, 10:29   #34
Thephantomsmask

Send a message via Skype™ to Thephantomsmask
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy101 View Post
I got a Nespress Vertuo in January, coffee is great and really handy and recommended it to parents and inlaws, but now the pods ares starting to add up, spend about 50E a month on pods, yes cheaper than going out for coffee but its still a fair whack. Interested in this Delonghi Idea... they all seem to be about 500-1000 quid though on currys.
The magnifica listed in the boards thread is currently £251 on amazon

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001EO..._rfX9Eb2TMNG8G
(3) thanks from:
27-06-2020, 10:31   #35
Gooey Looey

Quote:
Originally Posted by colm_mcm View Post
There are tonnes of compostable pod options now.
There are now but were other deciding factors, 5-6g of coffee just isn't enough IMO. I now use 16g in my double espresso americano

Last edited by Gooey Looey; 27-06-2020 at 10:36.
Advertisement
27-06-2020, 10:42   #36
Super_Sonic

I normally buy from discountcoffee.ie During the week I got 12kg of beans delivered for about €111.

The pods are very handy though.
27-06-2020, 11:10   #37
astrofluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
This bothers me also a little and is actually one of the reasons I use the Nespresso pods as they will take them back in recycling bags. I drop them to the boutique once every few months.
If you contact Nespresso by phone you can ask for a Nightline pick up at your door for used pods. Just need to tell them how many bags you've filled. No you can order and dispose without leaving your home!!

I think the long-term plan is to have a stop point at Parcel Motel.
(2) thanks from:
27-06-2020, 11:14   #38
Soulsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicetrustedcup View Post
Have a bean to cup machine myself,

Paid about 185 euros from the amazon warehouse about 4 years ago,

You can buy any coffee bean you like for it and so much cheaper then nespreso I am talking about 14 euros a bag of 1K coffee and that’s for good beans online

You get about 120 cups for 14 euros this weeks out 11.5c a cup of fresh ground coffee that’s the very same as what you get in a coffee shop

If you like coffee buy a bean go cup there amazing value for money
Hey, which bean to cup machine did you get?
27-06-2020, 11:25   #39
Mr.S

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyussB View Post
You can get a decent moka pot and coffee grinder, plus half a years worth of coffee, for a little above the same amount of money. The coffee will be better and cost way less than the capsules, too - saving you money in the end.

These machines aren't worth it even when they're free. Especially as this one is ridiculous enough to reject non-standard capsules.
I disagree. The machines are good and this is also a good deal if you want all round standard coffee hassle free.

Obviously Nespresso make their money on pods vs machines (they don't even manufacture them) so there is incentive to get people onto machines. The new Vertuo pods are pretty decent if you prefer longer coffees vs espresso / lattes on the original machines though.

I really never got the Nespresso hate, main benefit of Nespresso machines / pods is the convenience and producing a decent coffee within 30 seconds without fail.

Of course there are cheaper / "better" alternatives, but that's the same with everything. The vast majority of people do not want to bother with beans, buying them, grinders etc. Connivence over effort. (Yes I know it's not that much effort)
Advertisement
27-06-2020, 11:47   #40
micks_address

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrofluff View Post
If you contact Nespresso by phone you can ask for a Nightline pick up at your door for used pods. Just need to tell them how many bags you've filled. No you can order and dispose without leaving your home!!

I think the long-term plan is to have a stop point at Parcel Motel.
Yep nightline took back four bags for us last week..the vertuo capsules are bulky.. the machine can usually be bought for around 100 euro on sale... Have the old and new machine type..prefer the new.. yes it's patent crap to lock you into Nespresso only pods but the rotation makes the coffee smoother.. it's not cheap coffee but it's consistently good and convenient
27-06-2020, 12:53   #41
coach22

Maybe I have an account specific deal but I am getting a further discount of around 15 euro for buying 200 capsules. I can also select the machine for 239 with the bigger water tank
27-06-2020, 14:08   #42
DaveyDave

So the eco friendly solution to these is to have a van drive to my house and pick up two dozen pods every week, rather than just put one empty bag of beans into my green bin? The planet is saved!

In all seriousness though if you want to save money in the long run a bean to cup machine is the way to go. You don't have to enjoy coffee as a hobby to have a convenient, nice coffee solution with real beans. Plenty of bean to cup options out there.
27-06-2020, 14:34   #43
Mantis Toboggan

If you want good cheap coffee those 30 euro tassimo machines do the job perfectly. Plenty of choice and availability on the pods and they work out around 20 cent each.
Thanks from:
27-06-2020, 14:56   #44
Ivefoundgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach22 View Post
Maybe I have an account specific deal but I am getting a further discount of around 15 euro for buying 200 capsules. I can also select the machine for 239 with the bigger water tank
I had the same discount and could add the 239 machine.
27-06-2020, 15:07   #45
rks

Doesnt seem to work for me:

Added these 2:
https://www.nespresso.com/ie/en/orde...ortment-vertuo

Then added this:
https://www.nespresso.com/ie/en/orde...-classic-black

At the checkout its still looking for €328.40. What an I doing wrong?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion