Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-06-2020, 20:40   #31
mad m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Z View Post
are these distant learning course or do you have to live near those colleges?
Drove up and down to Waterford every 2nd Friday, stayed Friday night and headed back to Dublin Saturday afternoon.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-06-2020, 20:45   #32

Higher Diploma in Science in Computing (Cloud Infrastructure) Institute of Technology Tralee Level 9

Higher Diploma in Science in Networking and Systems (Full-time / 1 year)

Very interested in these two. Work full time in IT.
22-06-2020, 20:54   #33
FFVII

If you don't have a level 6, can you do a level 7?
Thanks from:
22-06-2020, 20:57   #34
mad m

Quote:
Originally Posted by lickalot View Post
Higher Diploma in Science in Computing (Cloud Infrastructure) Institute of Technology Tralee Level 9

Higher Diploma in Science in Networking and Systems (Full-time / 1 year)

Very interested in these two. Work full time in IT.
Honestly go for it. I started last September. In final semester, final exams in August. It flew in.
22-06-2020, 21:00   #35
Beersmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by taytobreath View Post
Some of the courses on there are brilliant, its worth having a good look at that excel file.

Can anyone tell me why are some of the level 9's called a certificate in ..... I always thought a level 9 is a masters or a post graduate diploma.
Because it isn't a level 9 qualification you get, its not worth enough credits. Best way to think of it is its set at level 9 difficulty.

You only get certs with all of them, level 6 will be easier and require less work etc.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-06-2020, 21:11   #36
Brozy

Quote:
Originally Posted by taytobreath View Post
Can anyone tell me why are some of the level 9's called a certificate in ..... I always thought a level 9 is a masters or a post graduate diploma.
I'd imagine you only do a few modules and not enough credits for the full diploma or masters.

I just completed a level 7 certificate course through springboard and I'd highly recommend it. Especially if you can find something you're interested in or relevant to your job. I changed industry this year and it definitely helped having the course on my CV. It's also a great way to update your CV.

A word of warning for those working full-time and looking at a course. I only had 2 modules at once but dedicating the time to coursework and studying was tough.
(2) thanks from:
22-06-2020, 21:51   #37
taytobreath

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFVII View Post
It would depend on your recognized prior learning, for example have you a job someway related to the level 7 course you are applying for. Look up the course and see their entry requirements and see if they have a mature entry route or a R.P.L. route, they usually do.
Thanks from:
22-06-2020, 21:54   #38
This is it

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFVII View Post
You would need to have a level 6 previously or study up to level 7 over the course of two to three years which would incorporate the level 6 in the course. You couldn't skip level 6 and do a one year level 7. The one year would be an addition for someone that already has a level 6 higher certificate.
22-06-2020, 22:27   #39
Pickboosgo

Could anyone recommend a course in Limerick with good employment prospects afterwards. None of them relate in anyway to what I have previously studied/ worked at, but can't find work in my area and just want a decent job don't care what as.
Advertisement
22-06-2020, 22:31   #40

Did a level 7 recently, what I found was unless previously employed in the chosen subject area, still pretty hard to get into.
Having said that, I'm looking to do a level 8 in the same field.
22-06-2020, 23:19   #41
zweton

That's the thing right, crossing over into another area without the exp to back it up. Back to the catch 22.
Thanks from:
22-06-2020, 23:22   #42
This is it

I went back to college as a mature student using Springboard and got a job in IT from it. Have managed to progress nicely in the meantime. No different than accessing the course direct, except it costs much less, or nothing in some cases
(4) thanks from:
22-06-2020, 23:34   #43
Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by This is it View Post
I went back to college as a mature student using Springboard and got a job in IT from it. Have managed to progress nicely in the meantime. No different than accessing the course direct, except it costs much less, or nothing in some cases
Can I ask what course you did? Was it part time or full time? Would be interested in that area myself.
22-06-2020, 23:39   #44
This is it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
Can I ask what course you did? Was it part time or full time? Would be interested in that area myself.
Computer Science. I did it part time which is labeled as 19 hours I think, but realistically you're talking 30+ hours most weeks between college, study and projects, and more again for end of semester projects and exams.

I'm full time now but looking at some courses to see if anything takes my fancy.
23-06-2020, 08:14   #45
Brozy

It's a shame they don't have the website updated with all the course information like last year.

It was very easy to navigate and pick out courses that interested you.

Now you have to search the course from the title and the institutions have different webpage layouts which puts me off searching.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion