Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Newstalk: 'Lunchtime Live' with Andrea Gilligan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

She didn't speak well and is obviously biased and angry over it.

The difference is that if the R rate doesn't stabilise in the next three weeks we'll have 150 cases a day.

If people can't see the difference between a restaurant setting and a pub setting they are being deliberately difficult or just don't understand.

Food doesn't protect you from Covid but having a meal and drinks in 105 minutes reduces the capacity to drink large volumes.

Of course people and businesses already open will flout it, but that's no reason to open up more people to risk.

At the end of the day this is to protect the health service and stop it from becoming overwhelmed.

With potential forecast of approx 200 cases this week that is too many for our health service.

After watching the documentary on Covid wards I can't imagine the fear and trauma healthcare workers are experiencing.

Schools and 3rd level institutes will have to remain closed on the basis of yesterdays decision.

If the worry is that young people are spreading the virus then keeping hundreds of kids under the age of 18 in the same building for 35 hours a week is not the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

And now Gilligan and guests are conflating house parties with pubs. You cannot compare the two.

A house party will contain a circle of friends who will spread to a wider circle in a community.

But a pub has the potential to create multiple clusters across multiple communities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I normally immediately switch off when I hear Ciara Kelly's voice, but I think I would actually leave it on if Andrea Gilligan was presenting all the time.

And now Gilligan and guests are conflating house parties with pubs. You cannot compare the two.

A house party will contain a circle of friends who will spread to a wider circle in a community.

But a pub has the potential to create multiple clusters across multiple communities.

And you are conflating house parties with dinner parties. You cannot compare the two.

BPKS wrote: »
    And you are conflating house parties with dinner parties. You cannot compare the two.

A dinner party is 6-10 people around for dinner connected through family or friendship.

A house party is any number of people connected through family or friendship.

Pub customers for the most part have no connection.

• Advertisement

A dinner party is 6-10 people around for dinner connected through family or friendship.

A house party is any number of people connected through family or friendship.

Pub customers for the most part have no connection.

:D

You must have been to very exciting house parties in your time

BPKS wrote: »
    :D

You must have been to very exciting house parties in your time

I’ve been to many but people have always been connected through friendships at least or through shared community.

Now we’re not talking about ‘after parties’ where people follow the crowd.

Perhaps for a retiree like me the Americanisation of the House Party where it’s some random location arranged through social media is not particularly believable in Ireland.

And I don’t think we’ve had any cases of a Covid Party where guests deliberately try to contract Covid from someone infected.

She didn't speak well and is obviously biased and angry over it.

The difference is that if the R rate doesn't stabilise in the next three weeks we'll have 150 cases a day.

If people can't see the difference between a restaurant setting and a pub setting they are being deliberately difficult or just don't understand.

Food doesn't protect you from Covid but having a meal and drinks in 105 minutes reduces the capacity to drink large volumes.

Of course people and businesses already open will flout it, but that's no reason to open up more people to risk.

At the end of the day this is to protect the health service and stop it from becoming overwhelmed.

With potential forecast of approx 200 cases this week that is too many for our health service.

After watching the documentary on Covid wards I can't imagine the fear and trauma healthcare workers are experiencing.

Having an opinion does not make you biased. She is as entitled to her opinion as Ivan Yates is on many of his topics and Ciara Kelly too. You may not agree with Andrea Gilligan today but she was very articulate and clear in her message.
    She didn't trip over one word, no himmming , hawwwing or dithering , no words mixed up or stuttering about in anger. She knew exactly what she wanted to say and spoke with a passion for quite a few minutes, she certainly wasn't shouting! She could give Michael Martin lessons in clear speaking.

If that was a rant it was a brilliant rant! I don't agree necessarily with pubs being open, I'm not a pub person, but I think its a huge hit to the pub business and feel very sorry indeed for pub owners, particularly small rural pubs.

Having an opinion does not make you biased. She is as entitled to her opinion as Ivan Yates is on many of his topics and Ciara Kelly too. You may not agree with Andrea Gilligan today but she was very articulate and clear in her message.
    She didn't trip over one word, no himmming , hawwwing or dithering , no words mixed up or stuttering about in anger. She knew exactly what she wanted to say and spoke with a passion for quite a few minutes, she certainly wasn't shouting! She could give Michael Martin lessons in clear speaking.

If that was a rant it was a brilliant rant! I don't agree necessarily with pubs being open, I'm not a pub person, but I think its a huge hit to the pub business and feel very sorry indeed for pub owners, particularly small rural pubs.

Her family are publicans, that's the definition of bias. She even started by stating she's biased.

She was angry and thus incoherent because she couldn't understand the logic of not opening pubs. It's very basic.

I feel sorry for the dead and their families.

You can rebuild a business, you can't bring someone back to life.

She was far from incoherent, she was in fact extremely articulate.
    The definition of incoherent is “expressed in an incomprehensible or confusing way “.
    She spoke with great clarity , as I said earlier you might not agree with her opinion , but you need to listen back if you think she was incoherent.

I’d certainly be happy if Andrea Gillian got a permanent gig.

• Advertisement

She was far from incoherent, she was in fact extremely articulate.
    The definition of incoherent is “expressed in an incomprehensible or confusing way “.
    She spoke with great clarity , as I said earlier you might not agree with her opinion , but you need to listen back if you think she was incoherent.

I’d certainly be happy if Andrea Gillian got a permanent gig.

I was being polite calling her incoherent as I’ll put it down to confusion if she can’t differentiate the risk between 105 minutes of eating with a drink and 105 minutes of drinking.

I think we have enough voices serving publicans in the media and the Dail.

Some diversity would be welcome.

Andrea Gilligan interviews a dietician on the surprising news that 5-a-day isn't sufficient, we should be consuming 7 items of fruits and vegetables per day

Andrea: So what do you make of this news?
    Dietician: This isn't news, I was on this show talking about this 2 years ago

( ဓ д ဓ )

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Andrea Gilligan interviews a dietician on the surprising news that 5-a-day isn't sufficient, we should be consuming 7 items of fruits and vegetables per day

Andrea: So what do you make of this news?
    Dietician: This isn't news, I was on this show talking about this 2 years ago

( ဓ д ဓ )

Sure they were talking about the new “star sign” there yesterday, I remember hearing about that about ten years ago when a manager in my place of work got all anxious because she was mad into that “stuff”.

To be fair, it seems like that “discovery” was brought to the fore recently but it was still “old news”.

Could see Andrea Gilligan or Susan Keogh being in with a “shout” for Ivan’s seat. I wouldn’t like to see either of them replacing Ciara as I think the lunchtime show has a terrible “format”.

Can’t stand any show where you have to listen to the “opinions” of the general moron. That seems to be very popular on here, though. Just sayin’.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Andrea Gilligan interviews a dietician

I always have to google (can never remember) which of "dietitian" v "nutritionist" is the one with actual qualifications and professional regulation, and which is the one that anyone can claim to be...

I always have to google (can never remember) which of "dietitian" v "nutritionist" is the one with actual qualifications and professional regulation, and which is the one that anyone can claim to be...
    Good memory aid might be D=Degree

Dieticians are formally educated and registered. Roseanna Davison is a nutritionist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Good memory aid might be D=Degree

Dieticians are formally educated and registered. Roseanna Davison is a nutritionist.

And 'nutritionist' contains nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

is Ciara Kelly the Queen of the Karens??

Dickie10 wrote: »
    Karen is a racist, or at least is racist after her third class of rosé, and either supports Trump or doesn't think he's all that bad. She typically doesnt have a career outside the home, and is not college educated.

No, not at all.

Karen is a racist, or at least is racist after her third class of rosé, and either supports Trump or doesn't think he's all that bad. She typically doesnt have a career outside the home, and is not college educated.

No, not at all.

A 'karen' is just a term for someone who is irrationally angry or upset. Doesn't generally have to fit any other descriptors. :)

A 'karen' is just a term for someone who is irrationally angry or upset. Doesn't generally have to fit any other descriptors. :)

Then still the answer is no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Dickie10 wrote: »

No, not at all.

Kelly is not a Karen, but equally, that definition is incredibly narrow.

Kelly is not a Karen, but equally, that definition is incredibly narrow.

It is. Karen is basically a poorer white woman who, if she were black, would enjoy considerably less privilege.

Obviously there is no strict definition, but you'll never come across a definition where Karen is a college educated, professional, anti-racist.

It's not a particularly useful category in Ireland, given our history and our demographics/ lack of ingrained racial conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

These are the two different definitions:
    Karen” is commonly used in the US to refer to a strident middle-class white woman who talks down to people of colour, usually in serving-staff positions.
    https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2020/apr/13/the-karen-meme-is-everywhere-and-it-has-become-mired-in-sexism
    Karen is a pejorative term used in the United States and other English-speaking countries for a woman perceived to be entitled or demanding beyond the scope of what is considered appropriate or necessary. A common stereotype is that of a white woman who uses her privilege to demand her own way at the expense of others. Depictions also include demanding to "speak to the manager", anti-vaccination beliefs (sometimes in favor of the unproven medical use of essential oils), being racist, or sporting a particular bob cut hairstyle. As of 2020, the term was increasingly being used as a general-purpose term of disapproval for middle-aged white women.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_(pejorative)

For me Karen is another moronic term to add to the list: libtards, snowflakes, boomers and so on... Frankly anyone using that nonsense outside of a joke should not be taken seriously.

No, not at all.

Central Park Karen had a job with investment firm Franklin Templeton, so I think these definitions of a Karen as uneducated non-professional is redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

So, while not being a "Karen" CK is a strident middle-class white woman who talks down to people of colour who disagree with her.

Central Park Karen had a job with investment firm Franklin Templeton, so I think these definitions of a Karen as uneducated non-professional is redundant.

Well anyone can throw around the term Karen, as evidenced by claims that CK is one. The original meme is pretty clear, but at the end of the day it's just a stereotype.

Well anyone can throw around the term Karen, as evidenced by claims that CK is one. The original meme is pretty clear, but at the end of the day it's just a stereotype.

It's being used more recently aligned with racism but originated with the can I speak to a manager meme. It's used as a pejorative against white middle aged women to depict their privilege and sense of entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Because?

(I read it on Saturday but I don't know what particular reference it has to Kelly except that now there is female presenter on radio during the day.)

• Advertisement

meeeeh wrote: »
    Because?

(I read it on Saturday but I don't know what particular reference it has to Kelly except that now there is female presenter on radio during the day.)

Well if I have to explain it....................

Advertisement