Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drivetime with Mary Wilson

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Wilson has a habit of constantly interrupting people but by and large she's an excellent journalist.
    But.
    She's dry and tedious. No entertainment value. No jovialness (is that a word?)
    All she has to do is kick off the shoes, relax and you know, see what happens. Way too serious. Have you ever heard her laugh? Tell a joke? Make a witty, off the cuff remark?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,054 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

bobbyss wrote: »
    Wilson has a habit of constantly interrupting people but by and large she's an excellent journalist.
    But.
    She's dry and tedious. No entertainment value. No jovialness (is that a word?)
    All she has to do is kick off the shoes, relax and you know, see what happens. Way too serious. Have you ever heard her laugh? Tell a joke? Make a witty, off the cuff remark?

Aah heee yur!!

She’s not in the entertainment business

That said, she is pedantic, annoying, and is a shill for the feminist movement, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Aah heee yur!!

She’s not in the entertainment business

That said, she is pedantic, annoying, and is a shill for the feminist movement, in my opinion.

Of course she's in the entertainment business. It's all about the ratings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

VERY poor interview by Sarah McInerney with Dara O ‘ Brien from FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Is Mcnerny taken over from wilson now?

McNerny is poor lads. She's trying to copy Chris O'Donoghue or Matt Cooper with the tough line of questioning but she isn't able for it.

• Advertisement

Pussyhands wrote: »

McNerny is poor lads. She's trying to copy Chris O'Donoghue or Matt Cooper with the tough line of questioning but she isn't able for it.

I thought she was grand when she started on Radio 1 but I think this week has been disappointing-lots of breaks during Drivetime. Is this an RTE summer thing? Also her little laugh with some interviewees is grating me a la Aine Lawlor. I think Sarah has potential-I remember it taking me a while to get used to Mary Wilson and now, I think Mary’s Show is better than its competitors.

Pussyhands wrote: »

Filling in..... she’s hard going.... wouldn’t be a fan.

Something about her I don’t like.

Could be me, in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭griffin100

McInerney was absolutely dire tonight with Brendan Burgess. She sounded like a Sinn Feinn / PBP rep advocating for people who haven't paid anything towards their mortgage in years being allowed to stay in their houses whilst the rest of us pay for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭blazard

im a today fm listener ,converted from drivetime

but not when ivan is off:(

but carry on

griffin100 wrote: »
    McInerney was absolutely dire tonight with Brendan Burgess. She sounded like a Sinn Feinn / PBP rep advocating for people who haven't paid anything towards their mortgage in years being allowed to stay in their houses whilst the rest of us pay for them.

Can’t agree there, she has to interview the lad, challenge his views.

I agree with him, but McInerney has to play devils advocate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Could be me, in fairness

I like her voice. Something very sensual about it. Gets me all hepped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭plodder

Could be me, in fairness
    You get the feeling that the regular crew has decamped for the Summer to wherever they decamp to, leaving herself to hold the fort. It sounds pretty bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Agree that she has to play devil's advocate, and I thought she did it very well to be fair to her.

But holy God, I thought the interview with Burgess went on for about a week, and the one with the two women about the Granny Grant went on for about a month :eek:

Seriously, did they run out of material and just keep mouthing at her "keep going, just keep GOING"? :confused:

I never heard topics dragged out as long. It occurred to me at the time that it might be because our (my) attention span has been shortened of late (it has, for sure), but they fairly tore the arse out of those two interviews anyway.

But back on topic - give me Sarah ANY DAY over Mary Wilson. I can't actually listen any more when she's presenting.

I thought she did a bad interview with Burgess

plodder wrote: »
    You get the feeling that the regular crew has decamped for the Summer to wherever they decamp to, leaving herself to hold the fort. It sounds pretty bad.

Galway Races with Marty, P.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DjdPxKdXoAAbTca?format=jpg

I agree she has to play devils advocate but in this case it sounded more like she was pushing her ideology which is fine for NewsTalk but not RTE. Talk of 7,500 people living on the streets was just silly.

I agree she has to play devils advocate but in this case it sounded more like she was pushing her ideology which is fine for NewsTalk but not RTE. Talk of 7,500 people living on the streets was just silly.

You could very well be right there, I was throwing her a bit of slack.

Sarah poor again today imo

Anyone hear Lorraine Courtney’s segment-I don’t know whether it was the content or the delivery, but it was a snoozefest

So many breaks on tonight’s show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Don't have a problem with SM. But its the height of ignorance to both listeners and colleagues to delay the news for nearly 5 minutes by prolonging some bs item. This has happened several times this week.

Anyone hear Ronan Mullan on this evening? Very odd interview

honeybear wrote: »
    Anyone hear Ronan Mullan on this evening? Very odd interview

Tore Sarah a new one.

She was at it again this evening. She is incapable of leaving her left wing student union persona at the door of the studio.

She was at it again this evening. She is incapable of leaving her left wing student union persona at the door of the studio.

I felt sorry for Maria Bailey being “interviewed”. It felt a bit like the Late Debate. I do think Sarah has potential to be a good presenter, if she leaves the impartiality out of discussions such as the homelessness.

Don't feel too sorry for Bailey, she's very nice but is a liteweight. She's only ever sent out to bat when no one else is available. She's from a colourful political family - look up the wiki page on her old man.

Don't feel too sorry for Bailey, she's very nice but is a liteweight. She's only ever sent out to bat when no one else is available. She's from a colourful political family - look up the wiki page on her old man.

Colourful...hmmm good lad G,covers a lot.

John Bailey......nuff said.

Dara O Brien from FF just have a pathetic interview re homelessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Robert Troy must be the Last Man Standing in the Houses of the Oireachtas -- was on the Hard Shoulder talking about promoting cycling, and is now on Drivetime, proposing FoI on the presidency!

And it really must be the silly season, as I'm nodding along to both...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Tore Sarah a new one.

a) What a crass metaphor.
    b) What an utterly idiosyncratic account of Mullen's (pretty standard for him) utter nonsense.

Takes an especially special snowflake to single-handedly start a tone-trolling exercise on social media, then pop up on the radio to try and make out that social media is far too crass for the likes of his delicate sensibilities.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement