Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drivetime with Mary Wilson

• 07-10-2015 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭

"So what" says Mary Wilson in an interview on today's programme. Arthur Spring repeats it back to her "So what". I never said "so what" says "Mary Wilson".

It was a catty ratty performance by Ms. Wilson, Arthur Spring held his cool and was very impressive speaking on his brief on Child Care.

Arthur Spring is a politician of substance and well worth looking out for in the future!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

While I didn't hear the interview referred to by the OP, I'm regularly amazed at the rudeness and cattiness of some of the current affairs presenters /journalists on RTE /TV3 - some quite disrespectful and dismissive towards their interviewees, be they politicians or other public figures. Politeness and professionalism aren't necessarily incompatible when it comes to public service broadcasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Interviewers are not content to seek out clarification and get better insight into matters of topical concern, but rather they themselves want to become the news with too many "What if" questions which are not geared towards confidence, progress, peace or stability but rather the opposite.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

While I didn't hear the interview referred to by the OP, I'm regularly amazed at the rudeness and cattiness of some of the current affairs presenters /journalists on RTE /TV3 - some quite disrespectful and dismissive towards their interviewees, be they politicians or other public figures. Politeness and professionalism aren't necessarily incompatible when it comes to public service broadcasting.

I actually like this trait in some interviewers.
    I think maybe you are mistaking rudeness for them just trying to get an honest answer out of them, or the answer to the question that was asked.

They are faced with people pussy-footing around a question so often, I too would get fed up and keep asking them until they told me what I wanted to know.

Not answering what you were asked, I would class that as rudeness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I heard the whole interview and disagree. AS was saying very little of substance and MW was pressing him for details. AS irritated me-he kept harping on about women. I have been critical of MW in the past but I think she is a good presenter.

honeybear wrote: »
    I heard the whole interview and disagree. AS was saying very little of substance and MW was pressing him for details. AS irritated me-he kept harping on about women. I have been critical of MW in the past but I think she is a good presenter.

If you heard the whole interview I suggest you challenge my opening statement.

So what" says Mary Wilson in an interview on today's programme. Arthur Spring repeats it back to her "So what". I never said "so what" says "Mary Wilson".

So many party hacks on here I question the value of trying to make a point here.

Just for the record Arthur Spring was polite, respectful and wholly cooperative throughout the whole interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭Expunge

Xenophile wrote: »

So many party hacks on here I question the value of trying to make a point here.

Yer a gas man, Xen!

From this thread by yourself.....
    "Arthur Spring is a politician of substance and well worth looking out for in the future!"

And from the Tipperary General Election thread in the Tipp forum, also by your good self:

"The only strong candidate allied to a Party is Alan Kelly of Labour."
    "Alan Kelly is Tipperary's only hope for a seat in the cabinet position."
    "A good reason why Kelly should get your Number One"

And finally...
    "Eishtec creating 200 jobs at new Clonmel centre.

I can see the hand of Alan Kelly T.D. at work here"

Expunge wrote: »
    Yer a gas man, Xen!

From this thread by yourself.....
    "Arthur Spring is a politician of substance and well worth looking out for in the future!"

And from the Tipperary General Election thread in the Tipp forum, also by your good self:

"The only strong candidate allied to a Party is Alan Kelly of Labour."
    "Alan Kelly is Tipperary's only hope for a seat in the cabinet position."
    "A good reason why Kelly should get your Number One"

And finally...
    "Eishtec creating 200 jobs at new Clonmel centre.I can see the hand of Alan Kelly T.D. at work here"

Thanks for the publicity, Tipperary South has not had a full time Cabinet Minister for a period longer than four and a half months since 1957. Yes you read it right 1957. In the interest of fairness and balance it is good that we now have a full time Minister who is not a parish pump politician representing us at National level.

"So what" says Mary Wilson in an interview on today's programme. Arthur Spring repeats it back to her "So what". I never said "so what" says "Mary Wilson".

It was a catty ratty performance by Ms. Wilson, Arthur Spring held his cool and was very impressive speaking on his brief on Child Care.

Arthur Spring is a politician of substance and well worth looking out for in the future!

I notice that Mary Wilson is not on the programme this afternoon, maybe she is stressed out after her blatant error of yesterday !

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

I notice that Mary Wilson is not on the programme this afternoon, maybe she is stressed out after her blatant error of yesterday !
    And I notice the Radio forum appears to have been hijacked by Labour party activists not only content with peddling their pet Election candidates, but also seeking to character-assassinate working professionals.

Get Lost.

Get Lost.

Are you suggesting that you are not open to honest debate here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Are you suggesting that you are not open to honest debate here?

That's the way it seems to me .

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

That's the way it seems to me .
    Party Political Rants are inherently DIShonest and I for one don't appreciate them on this forum - nor the blatant, disingenuous, candidate-plugging. Perfectly acceptable for you to go and fill your boots here instead... B-bye!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

My God, Mary Wilson is an insufferable pious prude. Does she ever get down off that high horse of hers?

My God, Mary Wilson is an insufferable pious prude. Does she ever get down off that high horse of hers?

Tell us what upset you Peadar..... off ya go lad.....

Well that's generally how I feel about her, tbh. I presume there is not much traffic on any thread with her name because people just dont care about her and her dull show. But the smug, superior, accusing tone that she adopted when interviewing Michelle Mulherin today was ridiculous.

Honestly Mary, do you really think that you are that much better than everyone else?

Well that's generally how I feel about her, tbh. I presume there is not much traffic on any thread with her name because people just dont care about her and her dull show. But the smug, superior, accusing tone that she adopted when interviewing Michelle Mulherin today was ridiculous.

Honestly Mary, do you really think that you are that much better than everyone else?

Nice one Peadhar, agree to an extent, but MM came across as a proper chump going on air exposing this.

All this of course is GAA corporate stuff, same as some gimps in RTE who wouldn't know a Hurley from a cricket bat will be 'in boxes' for the Football Final.

Have to agree that Wilson was all in 'smugness central' for that interview.

Wonder was she at the Hurling Final being from Tipp and ostensibly interested in GAA?

Uhmmmmmmmm m

Have to agree that Wilson was all in 'smugness central' for that interview.

I would agree on Mulherin, and I lost all respect for her when she "voted with the party" that time anyway. But Wilson's childish questions, knowing full well that she hadn't been to many of the matches.

She was the same with Mick Wallace a while back. Looking down her nose at him with his tax problems, as if he was something she scraped off her shoe.

I would agree on Mulherin, and I lost all respect for her when she "voted with the party" that time anyway. But Wilson's childish questions, knowing full well that she hadn't been to many of the matches.

She was the same with Mick Wallace a while back. Looking down her nose at him with his tax problems, as if he was something she scraped off her shoe.

Uhmmmm tax 'problems' ?

Like not paying is it ?

Bit of a neck on him Peter, going on about NAMA given that history.

Wouldn't have much time for the bould Mike, in fairness.

While listening to Mary Wilson's interview with the Mayo senator today, all I kept thinking was ... why was this even newsworthy

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Lazairus

Hello all.

whats your opinion. Do you love the hard news. do you love that Rte presenters are so embedded in politics.

its hard news, politics, more hard news, and a light hearted story somewhere.

It seems that rte drivetime should be called rte political broadcasts.

what do you think? Is this incorrect view? .

Cheers.

Laz

I

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Lazairus wrote: »
    Hello all.

whats your opinion. Do you love the hard news. do you love that Rte presenters are so embedded in politics.

its hard news, politics, more hard news, and a light hearted story somewhere.

It seems that rte drivetime should be called rte political broadcasts.

what do you think? Is this incorrect view? .

Cheers.

Laz

I

Pretty sure there's already a thread

I say keep John Murray on this show. Leave Mary Wilson on a permanent holiday.

I say keep John Murray on this show. Leave Mary Wilson on a permanent holiday.

While I was a critic of John Murray on the 09-10 slot, he is doing well in this slot.

Don't think he has the 'edge' to do it full time, but he certainly has improved a lot

Proves my point that that is his best at presenting data which requires no 'personal' input, just straightforward reportage and interaction with a series of events.

Don't think I could take the Dubbalin drawl for an extended period though.

But fair play to John, he is making a good fist of it.

While I was a critic of John Murray on the 09-10 slot, he is doing well in this slot..

But this was always my point about Murray. The first time I heard him he was filling in for Marian Finucane and he was good at it. But the only thing that RTE had free was Ryan Tubridy's old slot, when Tubridy moved to fill in for Gerry Ryan. And then for the few years we had John Murray trying to do comic intros and telling knock knock jokes, offending as many people as possible. Now they have moved him in to sport, something that he obviously has absolutely no interest in.

John is good at the serious political stuff, so if they are going to have him on air, then this is what he should be doing. And since the bar is set soooo low by Mary Wilson to start with.

As I once heard said "If the bar was set that low, I would feel no sense of achievement in having jumped it".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

It was a nothing story in the grand scheme of things.
    She adopted a mischievous line of questioning to which Mulherin had no credible answers.
    I enjoyed the interview to be honest, sometimes we need some pantomime stuff to lighten the mood.

I don't understand why anyone can dislike Mary Wilson. Nobody ever accuses Philip Boucher-Hayes (whom I find to be occasionally pompous) of being patriarchal or priggish, yet the far more mild-mannered M.W. is inevitably criticized as a matriarchal prig. There even seems to be a gendered quality to the criticism. It's all a bit unfair.

I don't think she's RTÉ's best current affairs interviewer (I'd reserve that accolade for Audrey Carville), but she's certainly above average by RTÉ's standard. She speaks clearly, she prepares well, she asks intelligent questions, and displays very little political bias. She doesn't seem 'pally' with anybody in politics, probably because she arrived in Drivetime from the courts, and not as a political correspondent.

I wouldn't like to see her move out of this slot. My heart sinks every time I hear John Murray fill-in for Wilson. Murray is just not as professional a broadcaster in my view, and his political bias is just not debatable at this stage. George Lee must be looking at Murray and thinking 'wtf'?

But this was always my point about Murray. The first time I heard him he was filling in for Marian Finucane and he was good at it. But the only thing that RTE had free was Ryan Tubridy's old slot, when Tubridy moved to fill in for Gerry Ryan. And then for the few years we had John Murray trying to do comic intros and telling knock knock jokes, offending as many people as possible. Now they have moved him in to sport, something that he obviously has absolutely no interest in.

John is good at the serious political stuff, so if they are going to have him on air, then this is what he should be doing. And since the bar is set soooo low by Mary Wilson to start with.

As I once heard said "If the bar was set that low, I would feel no sense of achievement in having jumped it".

I would not agree that John is good at the serious political stuff

John is passable at reportage and presenting a current affairs type of show with no in depth or confrontational type of interviews, passable.

He keeps the show moving along at a brisk pace, asks the questions written on his control sheet, but other than that serious political stuff- nah

Not bad, but not Premiership standard.

Imo, Mary is better than any of her subs. However, like all other RTE presenters, it is amazing how many days off they all have.

John Murray is on again this week , well today anyway.

Does anyone think as I do that he is making a biggish play to replace Wilson ?

Giving it socks and in fairness doing quite well.

Moving the programme along at a good deal faster pace than Wilson does.?

Anyone any comments?

• Advertisement

John Murray is on again this week , well today anyway.

Does anyone think as I do that he is making a biggish play to replace Wilson ?

Giving it socks and in fairness doing quite well.

Moving the programme along at a good deal faster pace than Wilson does.?

Anyone any comments?
    Think he's found his niche very good alright!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement