Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Red Fred

Marty's Party!

Don't tell me Ryan takes November 22nd. off, just to commemorate JFK :D

Tubs was at the Paul Simon concert on Monday night so needed yesterday to recover from being up past 10 p.m.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Red Fred wrote: »
    Tubs was at the Paul Simon concert on Monday night so needed yesterday to recover from being up past 10 p.m.

Along with, it would appear from his comments, most of the frontline staff of Montrose.

They were hardly all on freebies I wonder:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

RTE supporting the arts.

Or is it the other way around?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

You and your ilk are the reason why things have swung to the right Mr Finlay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

You and your ilk are the reason why things have swung to the right Mr Finlay

Who's that Sept. Sounds like something I might be interested in.
    Fergus perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Who's that Sept. Sounds like something I might be interested in.
    Fergus perhaps?

thats the one

Have a listen back to it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

OMG came across this show this morning - radio now switched off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Del.Monte wrote: »
    OMG came across this show this morning - radio now switched off.

You're missing him talking to a woman about how one time she ate a Big Mac.

Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

lawlolawl wrote: »
    You're missing him talking to a woman about how one time she ate a Big Mac.

Seriously.

It was somebody living on crisp sandwiches when I switched off. :D

Does every guest on this show have to have a relation with cancer?

• Advertisement

sligojoek wrote: »
    Does every guest on this show have to have a relation with cancer?

Whilst I have in the past supported Tubridy ,I'm rapidly tiring of his offering.

Box- sets, books, films, take up waaaaaaaay too much time .

Where does the lad get the time to watch and read all this stuff ?

It's incredible.

Also some of his mannerism are getting to me 'Jannooree' being one and 'too-day'.

When it gets to that stage it's time to switch off for a while anyway, I find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

Tubridy is a waste of space and time, does anyone seriously listen to his old guff. I reach straight for the off switch after the 9 am news.

Tubridy is a waste of space and time, does anyone seriously listen to his old guff. I reach straight for the off switch after the 9 am news.

Plenty do, because someone doesn't appeal to you, doesn't mean others won't take a different view.

Look at Ronan Collins, someone must like repetition and banality!

But hey, thats people for ya.

I'm rarely able to listen to the radio before 10.30. I've been at home for the last week and heard a few segments of Tubridy. It seems most guests, regardless of what they're on to plug, end up talking about a parent, sibling or child who has/had cancer.

Those americanisms are tedious too. Looking in the meeeeeer. Free speeeerit, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,528 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Can somebody at Dublin Airport please lock Al Porter away in luggage?

Can somebody at Dublin Airport please lock Al Porter away in luggage?

Shove the Camenbert Quartet in there with him too.

Crowd of hacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Dave Fanning standing in for Tubridy today and doing an interview with someone from the BBC I think about obituaries.

Probably the most unprofessional interview I have heard in a long time.

You think Mary Wilson interrupts a guest rudely? Have a listen back to Dave and, if you can make out his 100 mph delivery (how professional is that!) try and count the number of times he interrupts/talks across his guest. What a waste of time that fellow is and the main reason I don't listen to him with any frequency. How much does our Dave earn a year then I wonder to justify that drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,773 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Agree with above post.

I turned it on this morning when I woke up, and DF was absolutely galloping through an interview with someone (was half asleep so can't actually remember who it was) - was positively rude in interrupting him/her to end the interview really abruptly. I thought maybe he was late for the news or something, but no, just went for an ad break and onto another mile-a-minute interview.

He should listen back to himself some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Agree with above post.

I turned it on this morning when I woke up, and DF was absolutely galloping through an interview with someone (was half asleep so can't actually remember who it was) - was positively rude in interrupting him/her to end the interview really abruptly. I thought maybe he was late for the news or something, but no, just went for an ad break and onto another mile-a-minute interview.

He should listen back to himself some time.

Yes I was half asleep myself also I couldn't get over how basically disrespectful he came across. He seemed to boast at one point about not having ever seen a particular tv program that his very patient guest referred to which, if he was putting his guest first, he would not have mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Somebody at RTE should take Dave Fanning aside and tell him to grow up. He's a 60-something broadcaster who still thinks he's too cool for school, and seems to think it's rebellious and radical to play The Strokes or The White Stripes on Radio One. He gives off an air that he doesn't give a toss about anything, and he's come into the studio with about a minute to spare. And his tiresome anecdotes about rubbing shoulders with the great and good of rock music have been told so many times, I could almost recite them verbatim by now.

• Advertisement

Well I did my best to warn listeners !!

All together now.....

"It's that time of year......"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Brendan O'Connor does a great job every time he stands in for Tubs but it's unlikely that he was interested in working during the holiday period (he has a young family etc....).

You wouldn't believe how far I had to dig to find this thread!

I say, keep Marty on the show. It's got a much more community radio feel to it, and a presenter who actually has a genuine interest in his guests.... And Marty himself is a likeable character.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,528 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

This interview reminds me of Alan Partridge's radio item 'This Morning's Farmer'. :D

This violin woman is the definition of "insufferable".

Covers a few inconsequential Kennedy stories, and follows with a plug for his own book. The joys of being an RTE employee. A book that would never have been written if he hadn't been given the profile he has by RTE.

Covers a few inconsequential Kennedy stories, and follows with a plug for his own book. The joys of being an RTE employee. A book that would never have been written if he hadn't been given the profile he has by RTE.

Does that chip on your shoulder never start to wear you down?

He had the profile he has, due to a very successful broadcasting career (whether you like his broadcasting style is neither here nor there).

He's now written a book (about what? Not tuned in as i as it happens don't like his show).

Why wouldn't he mention it?

Ah come on Heidi. Patrick And The President..??? Are you telling me that this is a significant, important piece of writing... or Tubridy and his publisher simply cashing in on his celebrity and access to push the thing through his RTE TV and radio shows. Same as Joe Duffy, he should be told to keep his private works private.

Ah come on Heidi. Patrick And The President..??? Are you telling me that this is a significant, important piece of writing... or Tubridy and his publisher simply cashing in on his celebrity and access to push the thing through his RTE TV and radio shows. Same as Joe Duffy, he should be told to keep his private works private.

But why wouldn't he plug it?

Of course he'd cash in on his profile/ presence on radio - he'd be a fool not to! His is a personality show (his), the whole thing is based on him and his opinions and views. The book is one snall part of that. (Who's Patrick btw? Which president?)

JD is a different kettle of fish which I've given up on these days for the sake of my blood pressure. That's meant to be a caller driven show in which JD is merely a facilitator - hah!!!!

The two simply cannot be compared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    But why wouldn't he plug it?

Of course he'd cash in on his profile/ presence on radio - he'd be a fool not to! His is a personality show (his), the whole thing is based on him and his opinions and views. The book is one snall part of that. (Who's Patrick btw? Which president?)

JD is a different kettle of fish which I've given up on these days for the sake of my blood pressure. That's meant to be a caller driven show in which JD is merely a facilitator - hah!!!!

The two simply cannot be compared.

If he is plugging a book so as to enrich himself even further, he should be paying for the privilege. It's advertising. The thought never crossed his or the management's minds.
    If he regards it as a 'perk' then perks are taxable for BIK.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement