Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday with Miriam

• 26-07-2020 5:02pm

Not really a huge fan of this programme, it's usually just background noise in between Bowman on Sunday and Brendan O'Connor.

Today's show was an interesting change in direction. She had Mary Trump on as a guest. Trump spoke about the book she has written about her uncle, and her diagnosis that he is a narcissist (she has a PhD in clinical psycholgy), and gave a lot of background information on the factors that, she believes, shaped Trump's personality.

It seems surprising that this programme was chosen for such a big interview.

Colm Toibin gave a good account of his memories of Italia 90 too. I can't even remember what else was on the programme, probably the usual. But just a heads up about the Trump segment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

I used to enjoy the programme that she did where she interviewed 2 people (related through blood or an activity or friendship) - that was good but this new programme (well I think it's been going the last few years) can be hit & miss.
    Yeh surprised BOC or Tubs didn't get that interview with Trump's niece. Might have a listen back, thanks for the heads up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

Not really a huge fan of this programme, it's usually just background noise in between Bowman on Sunday and Brendan O'Connor.

It used to be just background noise for me too, but it's over to Vincent Wall on Newstalk now. I heard the guest list this morning and it sounded like it was worth a listen, but I can't take to Miriam on radio at all...I just can't listen to her.

Cole wrote: »
    It used to be just background noise for me too, but it's over to Vincent Wall on Newstalk now. I heard the guest list this morning and it sounded like it was worth a listen, but I can't take to Miriam on radio at all...I just can't listen to her.
    I like her work in political interviews. She said before she believes the best journalism involves asking tough, or embarrassing questions. She can be quite tough in political interviews, even today asking Mary Trump if she isn't just a bit bitter about being disinherited.

But most of the Suday with Miriam content is quite bland and the questions are very soft, because who really wants to go hard on some author who's written a paint-by-numbers 'holibops book', which is the show's bread and butter.

I think the slow pace doesn't suit O'Callaghan's style, although she's so nice about everyone it almost seems harsh to criticise.

Must check out Vincent Wall. Very incisive broadcaster, knows his stuff inside out.

I think the slow pace doesn't suit O'Callaghan's style, although she's so nice about everyone it almost seems harsh to criticise.

She does seem like a good egg and genuine...but I just can't.
    Must check out Vincent Wall. Very incisive broadcaster, knows his stuff inside out.

Business is not particularly my area of interest, but I think he's very good. The topics/guests are accessible and very interesting sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Robert McGrath

I like her work in political interviews. She said before she believes the best journalism involves asking tough, or embarrassing questions. She can be quite tough in political interviews, even today asking Mary Trump if she isn't just a bit bitter about being disinherited.

But most of the Sunday with Miriam content is quite bland and the questions are very soft, because who really wants to go hard on some author who's written a paint-by-numbers 'holibops book', which is the show's bread and butter.

I can’t agree with you there. I’ve never heard Miriam ask a genuinely incisive “tough” question in her life. And I’m not talking about “asking Gerry Adams if he was in the IRA” type of question - anyone can do that. I’m talking about genuinely listening to the interviewee and challenging them on their assertions and asking for evidence. She is very poor at that, in my opinion. Dermot Desmond was very fortunate that she was the interviewer for a follow up radio piece on his housing article in the papers - she doesn’t actually challenge her interviewees. Soft soap celeb stuff is her wheelhouse, I think

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I had this on after Sunday Miscellany but as noted above, it was as background noise. I didn't know she had Mary Trump on, otherwise I would have paid more attention. I will try listen to that later.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,328 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

But most of the Suday with Miriam content is quite bland and the questions are very soft, because who really wants to go hard on some author who's written a paint-by-numbers 'holibops book', which is the show's bread and butter.

"Mary Trump joins me now from New York". I don't think so, and the difference in audio from that of the live studio can be clearly heard. She wouldn't get up at 5 in the morning to do an interview on Irish radio. She is doing the rounds plugging the book and it would all be rehearsed. Any hard questions would be just part of the agreed script, and it saves the interviewer from having to actually read the book.

She was on Womans Hours BBC Radio 4 on Friday, a bit shorter but mostly the same as on Miriam. This format of plugging books, films etc is a well established routine.

I can’t agree with you there. I’ve never heard Miriam ask a genuinely incisive “tough” question in her life.
    There was one interesting one with Eoghan Murphy that comes to mind. Miriam was giving him a grilling on the homelessness figures (he was Housing Minister, at the time) and gave him a rough time. She was even pretty harsh on his "posh" image and I don't exactly know how, but I think he was audibly squirming. Anyway, Miriam (who is a Foxrock native, but without any sense of irony) confronted him with uncharacteristic bluntness about Murphy's upbringing, moving back and forth between this and his failure in housing. He got quite tetchy with her, but she kept pressing him.

A murder happened that day.

But you're right, she isn't aggressive, but I would say she can be tenacious with her questioning, at times. We saw this on TV, also, with her famous grilling of Martin McGuinness during the 2011 Presidential Election debate. There was a minor controversy at the time, which was unfair. She was asking what everyone wanted to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,433 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

What’s going on today? Sounds like Ronan Collins is doing a “feature” on Gavin James. Going on far too long.

Miriam has had Mick Flannery, Brendan Graham and Michael Harding on repeatedly over the past while but they’d only be getting, the usual, 15 minutes. Harding really should get more.

If Newstalk wasn’t so bad before 11am on a Sunday I’d have turned off ages ago. Is this what it feels like to be one of the more “bound up” Radio Forum regulars?

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We saw this on TV, also, with her famous grilling of Martin McGuinness during the 2011 Presidential Election debate. There was a minor controversy at the time, which was unfair. She was asking what everyone wanted to know.

I think you are remembering it wrong, she said he had murdered people.

A very big accusation to make unless you have the evidence to back it up, which she didn't.

Lets be honest, RTE did a job that night to get rid of any candidates who might be a threat to the chosen one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

She has billy keane on at moment.

Total nonsense talk

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

She has billy keane on at moment.

Total nonsense talk

Did he make some comment about the behaviour of refugees there? Sounded strange but I couldnt hear due to the loudest kettle in the world reaching boiling point.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Did he make some comment about the behaviour of refugees there? Sounded strange but I couldnt hear due to the loudest kettle in the world reaching boiling point.

He was talking about donkey sanctuary refugees as far as I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

He was talking about donkey sanctuary refugees as far as I can remember.

Ah right, that really went over my head!

You can’t not but like John Spillane. Seems to have a genuine “passion” for Irish music, language and history.

Decent enough show today, no sign of Mick Flannery or Michael Harding though. You’d miss them all the same.

Think I’m going to have that Spillane song, the one he played on the ‘Late Late’ as well, stuck in my head for awhile. Could be worse, I suppose.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Spillane is a nice enough fella. I cannot claim to be as taken with his music. But sure it is all subjective.

Had the misfortune to sleep through Sunday Miscellany this morning. Woke up to Miriam. I normally try and avoid her, the voice. You know, its a bit much for me. And while she may of been a great interviewer at one point. Those days are surely gone.

Glad I caught this mornings show. But I do not plan on making a habit of it.

Had the misfortune to sleep through Sunday Miscellany this morning. Woke up to Miriam.
    You didn't miss much.

The only good things about sunday miscellany are the intro jingle, the music (we got a bit of Schumann today as a treat) and the occasional good story. Now, I like poetry, but when it comes to poets reading their own work...jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

You can’t not but like John Spillane. Seems to have a genuine “passion” for Irish music, language and history.

Decent enough show today, no sign of Mick Flannery or Michael Harding though. You’d miss them all the same.

Think I’m going to have that Spillane song, the one he played on the ‘Late Late’ as well, stuck in my head for awhile. Could be worse, I suppose.

I like some of his stuff, not all. He was in a band back in the day called The Stargazers who were pretty decent, kind of jazzy which isn't my thing but they were good at it.

You can’t not but like John Spillane

Ah but you can. Maybe it's just the way he is, but his stuff just comes across as all a bit contrived for me.

You didn't miss much.

The only good things about sunday miscellany are the intro jingle, the music (we got a bit of Schumann today as a treat) and the occasional good story. Now, I like poetry, but when it comes to poets reading their own work...jaysus

I enjoy the, more, story-based “pieces”, myself. It mightn’t be that great every week but it would be a shame if it was cut.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement

Ah but you can. Maybe it's just the way he is, but his stuff just comes across as all a bit contrived for me.

His music or the man, himself? I’m not too into his music, it’s fine for what it is but I don’t doubt that if you were to meet him in person he’d be exactly as he is when he’s interviewed.

That’s just the “impression” I get.

The tide is turning…

Spillane is a nice enough fella. I cannot claim to be as taken with his music. But sure it is all subjective.

Had the misfortune to sleep through Sunday Miscellany this morning. Woke up to Miriam. I normally try and avoid her, the voice. You know, its a bit much for me. And while she may of been a great interviewer at one point. Those days are surely gone.

Glad I caught this mornings show. But I do not plan on making a habit of it.

Sums up Miriam for me. She seems like a 'genuinely' nice person but that voice and all the "ah" and "mmmm" is so hard to listen to. If you listen to any audio of Miriam from say the 90s, you'll hear how her voice/accent has (unconsciously) changed to sound more loike the modern version of the so called 'D4'/'Dort' accent. Pretty normal for that to happen to youngsters, but a bit less so as you age...maybe it's all Caitriona Perry's fault.

His music or the man, himself? I’m not too into his music, it’s fine for what it is but I don’t doubt that if you were to meet him in person he’d be exactly as he is when he’s interviewed.

That’s just the “impression” I get.

His music. I don't think I've ever heard him being interviewed, so I can't really judge him as a person....maybe one reflects the other...who knows. Might be a lovely fella.

His music. I don't think I've ever heard him being interviewed, so I can't really judge him as a person....maybe one reflects the other...who knows. Might be a lovely fella.

I, honestly, don’t know. That’s just the impression I get from seeing his tv shows and interviews. Just seems really into it.

The tide is turning…

I, honestly, don’t know. That’s just the impression I get from seeing his tv shows and interviews. Just seems really into it.
    Yeah, he comes off extremely sound, the few times I've heard him. He has the energy of a very musical teenager, but the man must be in his 50s. That's what people get from doing a job they love, I think, they never age. Full of enthusiasm, but plenty between the ears too. Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

I enjoy the, more, story-based “pieces”, myself. It mightn’t be that great every week but it would be a shame if it was cut.

I really enjoy the story pieces myself. More so then the music.
    Lillian Smith and Sunday Misc are my favorite ways to start a Sunday.

I really enjoy the story pieces myself. More so then the music.

Lilian Smith's show is really good...heard her play a Shay Healy song about the joys of gin and followed that with What's Another Year.

Sunday Misc is a bit hit and miss, but I caught a bit this morning with a guy reminiscing about Gerrit van Gelderen on RTE...only those of a certain age who grew up in Ireland will have a clue who that was.

A bit of an 80s nostalgia morning.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I enjoyed this mornings Sunday Miscellany. However, I've always found it to be essential listening.

Sunday mornings just wouldn't be the same without it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Lillian Smith sounds totally different than she did when she presented weekends Late Date around 10 years ago. It's like listening to a different presenter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Lilian Smith's show is really good...heard her play a Shay Healy song about the joys of gin and followed that with What's Another Year.

Sunday Misc is a bit hit and miss, but I caught a bit this morning with a guy reminiscing about Gerrit van Gelderen on RTE...only those of a certain age who grew up in Ireland will have a clue who that was.

A bit of an 80s nostalgia morning.

I remember Gerrit and his speeded up drawing of birds.

Advertisement