Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

Rashers wrote: »
    Spot on. Well done!

The pub with 1840 on it was the old Scotch House.

I think that's the old Bray bus to the left.

The Constable Sheehan memorial was in the middle of the road crossing just beyond the Scotch House. (junction of Hawkins St)

I'm not sure what the Fun Palace is now.

There were all kinds of amusements, as well as the old infamous fruit machines inside. And you could play roulette down in the basement... big money won and lost on that one.

In the basement they had a rifle range with .22cal rifles. Imagine having something like that in the centre of Dublin now.

They used to have an electric shock machine in there too. You dropped in your penny and drew these two metal bars together.... and as they came closer you received a progressive electric shock... the idea being to see how close you could draw the bars together before either letting go or presumably dropping dead.... I never saw anyone bring them completely together.

For anyone that remembers, the photographer would have had his back to the public toilets.... now long gone too.

Well spotted.... Burgh Quay it is.
    i think the fun palace is still there in that modern building in the same spot.
    If the rifle range was there now they would probabley have ak47s or m16s lol:D

The year is 1952.... and the street is?

1952.jpg
    is it camden st. those old buses were great you could jump on
    at the back if you missed the bus as it was pulling away many a time i did in the late 60s and 70s when i was a young fella "A the good ol days". Then they brought in them old yolks with doors spoil sports.

On the money. Nice one!

I thought by cropping the pic it would last longer. In the first one above it can be seen why Wishbone or anyone would think it was a one way street.

Here's the original, taken from the bottom of Sth Gt George's St, looking towards Trinity.

Seems like all of the men except those riding bicycles are wearing hats.... even the man in the car and on the bus. Ya don't see many bowler hatted men like the one in he foreground, nowadays.

DameStreet1952-1.jpg

Anyone got an oldie or anything?
    Wow that bus is heading for inchicore i live in kilmainham and would of got the inchicore bus as it past through kilmainham i wonder is it a 21 or if there is anyone on it i know i wonder where that boy is now or the others in the pic great photo.

Here's one from 1964

hardwickest1964.jpg

And going back a bit further....to 1848!

1848.jpg
    amazing pic i dident know there was any pics of hardwick st from that period those folk look like they just got married i wonder are any of their
    ancestors around in this century.:eek:

Did you read or see Strumpet City?

Okay.....

The year is 1964..... where's this?

1964-1.jpg
    cant figure this one out:confused:

• Advertisement

Sights, what we were listening to and the fashion..

(Bagatelle - best band ever)

Summer in Dublin.

allways loved that song summer in Dublin brings back some great memories
    "A Dublin in the rare ol times" Bagatelle were a truley great band often seen them play, fond memories.

How about framing either of these two for your mum? Mairt did a great job of matching so I 'stitched' the old to the new.

(the footpath outside the pub looks like it hasn't been rebuilt.. the old and new look the same to me)

I wonder if someone sees these 100 years from now how different it will look to them. The church will probably still be there but dwarfed by tall glass office buildings.

temple.jpg

or

temple1.jpg
    the matched pics look really well things havent changed that much the spar shop front really spoiles the look of the old building do. The church looks really well since is was cleaned up great pics..

Dancor wrote: »
    I hope not, I love the area as it is, although in 100 years I wont have a say :( Dont know if anyone remembers the old site where spar is, they look the same in the pics but about ten years ago there was a gas explosin (Insurance fraud) and it tottally destroyed the building, The builders did a good job making it look the same.
    yea i rember that explosion i was living in Drumcondra at the time
    i think the place was deralict for a long time before they rebuilt it.:eek:

flynnc8 wrote: »
    I wonder what happened to the ornamental details on the building that is now kavanaghs...:confused:
    yea i was wondering myself what happened to those details on the building
    it's a pity they were destroyed or whatever happened maybe the building could of been damaged during the 1916 rising as there were a lot of skirimishes away from the city centre as well during the fighting.

Good one! Ya got it.

Here it is before I cropped a bit to make it less familiar.

Love yer man's suit.... and the girl racers.

AungierStreet1952-1.jpg
    wow the whole st looks totally different i think they did widen it
    yer mans suit looks real louie copeland he's probabley off to meet the mot under clerys clock and bring her to the pics in the metropole and then up to the ballroom upstairs ye can imagine the rest.

• Advertisement

Thank you. I love this city and especially her history.

That's something I'd love to do. I have a great interest in Dublin since the Vikings

Try a book called Dublin by Peter Somerville-Large. I could recommend a lot of books.... Villages of Dublin by Pat Liddy is a good one too.... Dublin be Proud..... the list is endless.

There's a good DVD available too called Medieval Dublin (from Vikings to Tudors).

From 1953.... where?

1953.jpg
    has to be parliment st

Degsy wrote: »
    jeez,fibbers is there now..i mean left!
    wow i often stood at that bus stop coming home from school in the 70s i used to get the 23 bus there at the time great pic. id love to get some pics of the whole kilmainham area going as far back as possible.

You got it! The last of old Summerhill. Well spotted from such a bad pic especially.

Just this one now..... and the clue is.... nah it can be easily seen. :-)

1964-1.jpg
    is it parnell st opposite where the enterence to the ilic is now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,086 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

is it parnell st opposite where the enterence to the ilic is now
    It's at the five lamps.

GraftonStreet1956.jpg

does anyone know what that flower pot type thing on the right is?
    i think its the bottom end of a lampost that has been removed:confused:

Hermy wrote: »
    I've been meaning to post a picture of what this area looks like now so here it is...
    Picture_062_Medium.jpg
    Picture_063_Medium_1.jpg

But here's something else from the same street which I spotted while looking for ghost signs...
    Picture_059_Medium_1.jpg
    Picture_058_Medium_1.jpg

The lettering in the ghost sign looks quite similar to that highlighted in the old picture.
    Would the sale of Exide Batteries have been commonplace back then?
    yes exide batteries were a common brand in the 60s iam not sure if they
    are still on the market now do but the brand was available for a long time
    great pics by the way.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

i think its the bottom end of a lampost that has been removed:confused:

And with a basket inserted it became a litter bin. If anyone can magnify the plate on the side you'll see 'Bruscar' on top and 'Litter' below.

I would agree with them too.... to a point.

On the plus side most if not all of the old granite buildings, GPO, Bank of Ireland, Custom House etc are a lot cleaner. They used to be that dirty grey which looked really bad.

On the minus side we had a fine old Georgian city with streets laid out on the old medieval city (in general). In my opinion too many glass montrosities are springing up.... like warts on a beautiful face.

There was character to the old buildings too, and particularly the shop fascades.... imagine that older pic of Henry St without the garish signs.... then look at the glass box on the corner of the newer picture.

Anyone old enough to remember the Theatre Royal.... now look what replaced it, Hawkins House. Talk about the beauty and the beast!

I could go on but better not.

Instead here's Moore St in 1959. (looking towards Parnell St) Has the Ilac improved the look of the street?

moorest1959.jpg
    no the ilac dident improve the look of moore st i rember it being
    built and allways thought it was an eyesore and badley designed.

Definitely bins. I fell off one once when I was a kid. Can you get a pic to compare?

The gas release thingies, are they like these? I think these are vents to prevent build up of sewer gas.

The year is 1969.

Bollards19691.jpg

Bollards1969.jpg
    i think they were air vents for the old air raid shelters during world war2. I often sat on that little wall on my way home from school and had a smoke:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,086 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

i think they were air vents for the old air raid shelters during world war2. I often sat on that little wall on my way home from school and had a smoke:D

There are a few theories regarding them. Pat Liddy says they were vents for O'Connell Street basements that went out that far, others think they ventilated Findlater's wine stores, others think they are early examples of bollards to protect corners. They are not exactly in their original location

See from post 2504 onwards in the excellent Archiseek O'Connell Street thread.

• Advertisement

humberklog wrote: »
    Very risque for '69 (eh don't know if that came out right).
    See the car turning into parnell st.,outside the national bank(top picture)?
    That's an Austin1300 the same as what Basil Fawlty drove(and whacked with a tree branch).
    yea i noticed the ol Austin1300 i had one for a while in my army days unfortunatley i wrote it off if Basil Fawlty had of seen the state of it he would of whacked me with a tree branch:eek::)

Gaspode wrote: »
    Is that where the waxworks was?

The first time I ever went to the movies in a real cinema rather than the school hall was in the Plaza Cinerama (as it was known then) on Granby Row, which is where the hotel is now. (101 Dalmations was the movie by the way!)
    The plaza was a fine building and indeed i went to a few films there, It's a sad thing that it was ever pulled down.

Yep, and the Cinerama too.

Originally built in 1789 as a chapel, before its conversion into the Dorset Picture House in 1911. In around 1928 it was re-named Plaza Cinema.

In 1967 it was converted into a Cinerama theatre opening on 28th September 1967 with "Grand Prix". Closed on 28th July 1981, the former Plaza Cinema was converted into the National Wax Museum, it was closed and demolished in 2005 and hotel built on the site.

oldnnew.jpg

They replaced a beautiful building with a red and white lego brick!
    what an ugley building that new hotel is it's discusting that they were ever allowed to build such a monstrosoty just look at the fine building they pulled down shame.:mad::confused:

Merchants Arch 1960.
    merchantsarch1960.jpg

Now here's one for yiz. Whats the name of that alley that leads from the arch to Temple Bar? No one seems to know, not even the emergency services.
    merchants arch

O'Connell St. 1960s

Anyone spot another one of those tulip shaped things we discussed a few pages back?

OConnellSt1960s.jpg
    i rember that kiosk when i was a young kid i think it was an information centre at the time.
    As far as i can rember the caravan was where you paid to climb up the steps to the top of nelsons piller. Anyone else rember?

A little piece of lost Dublin. Anyone remember it? I got a fill here a few times. North Dublin.

Garage.jpg
    I think it was on the nth strand rd on the way to fairview:confused:

dSTAR wrote: »
    Cracking thread.

Its been a quite a few years since I strutted around Dublin as a young fella. Does anyone have any pictures of those little Johnston Mooney O'Brien bakery trucks that used to deliver bread to houses or any old Irish Press scooter delivery boys or paper sellers circa 1970's?

I've been North and I've been South
    I've been East and West
    I've been just a rolling stone
    Yet there's one place on this earth
    I've always liked the best
    Just a little town I call my own

For Dublin can be heaven
    With coffee at eleven
    And a stroll in Stephen's Green
    There's no need to hurry
    There's no need to worry
    You're a king and the lady's a queen
    Grafton Street's a wonderland
    There's magic in the air
    There's diamonds in the lady's eyes
    And gold-dust in her hair
    And if you don't believe me
    Come and meet me there
    In Dublin on a sunny Summer morning

I've been here and I've been there
    I've sought the rainbow's end
    But no crock of gold I've found
    Now I know that come what will
    Whatever fate may send
    Here my roots are deep in friendly ground

For Dublin can be heaven
    With coffee at eleven
    And a stroll in Stephen's green
    There's no need to hurry
    There's no need to worry
    You're the king and the lady's a queen
    Grafton Street's a wonderland
    There's magic in the air
    There's diamonds in the lady's eyes
    And gold-dust in her hair
    Come and meet me there
    Come and meet me there
    A what a great ol song i rember Noel Purcell used to sing it
    brings back a lot of mamories:)

Nothing special, but you get a look at Grafton St in 1974.

imagine having to listen to that american dude showing those videos
    all day to everyone that called in sure you would be on the tablets just after one viewing he's talking like we are some sort of alian coloney he came accross:eek::eek::eek::o:o:o

(Presumably you meant College Street?)

It looks like they are observing the the D'olier Street/Hawkins Street area from that odd shaped monument that was outside the RIC Station.
    Those two guys pointing their rifles up in the air dont look like they have had a lot of combat experiance or experiance useing rifles from the way they are holding them' there's a sharp kick back from an old enfield 303 rifle and if your not holding it properley especially the way they are you could be knocked right back :D:D:confused:confused:

• Advertisement

Hope this isn't a re-post. This is Lower Gardiner Street from the junction of Gloucester St (now Sean McDermott St) looking towards Mountjoy Square.

The year is 1929.

1929-1.jpg
    great pic of lr Gardiner st i wonder are any of the people in the pic still alive some of the younger ones could be. The two men on the right in the pic walking along with the woman:D look like Gardai probabley from Fitzgibbon st station.

Advertisement