Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Punchbowl wrote: »
    spurious wrote: »
    I'm going to put them and the newer versions, taken by the kid on my site soon.

Nice one, where can we see these pictures?

There will be a link from http://www.dublin1850.com - hopefully by the end of this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

I'm open to correction on this but I think The Commercial Buildings occupied the site. I think it was taken down and rebuilt sideways where it still stands today on the eastern side of the bank plaza.

Any historian, architect or knowledgeable person able to clarify?

Quite right.

No I'm not an architect but a sort of amateur Dublin historian.

I remember the building you mention had a connection to the Ouzel Galley. As far as I recall it had the actual bell from that vessel on show in a window.

You could walk through an alley at part of the building, which brought you into a sort of courtyard and on to the Merhant's Arch.

Why the Ouzel Galley? There's an interesting article on it here. Read to the bottom of the article and you'll see the connection. Good story.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Not really. They are standing at the intersection with South Great Georges Street. The Central Bank would be a few hundred yards down from there.
    Ah cheers wishbone-that makes a lot more sense now. They haven't sausages in under arms it's Rick damn tasty burgers.
    And thanks for clearing up central bank puzzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

Rashers wrote: »
    Temple St 1950

TempleSt2.jpg

Same view 2005

TempleSt1.jpg

Thanks for posting this Rashers, Ive lived in Hardwicke Street all my life.
    Crazy how the area used to look.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

Cant believe that they were only taken in 1980, great pics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Fantastic, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Those 1980 pictures are brilliant!

There's a lot of interesting pictures here - http://www.dublinbuses.com/buspics.html

GREAT photos!. If only more had been as foresighted as Tommy.

And please pass along to Glen our fullest admiration for taking and matching the photos so well. He did a remarkable job of it.

And full marks to you spurious!

A thousand thanks.

dancor wrote: »
    Thanks for posting this Rashers, Ive lived in Hardwicke Street all my life.
    Crazy how the area used to look.

Here's one from 1964

hardwickest1964.jpg

And going back a bit further....to 1848!

1848.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Great pictures alright.
    dancor wrote: »
    Cant believe that they were only taken in 1980, great pics.
    What I find interesting is that many of the tenements are still standing and give those streets a 'built-up' feel. Several years later most of them were demolished and what we had left were vast areas of wasteland around those streets. It would be great to get a few pics of Gardiner Street/Summerhill from about 1987 when the country was on it's knees. My memory of those areas are empty spaces full of rubbush and mattresses, propped up gable ends and ad hoc skanger car parks everywhere.

Incidently, can anyone remember when they widened the junction of Summerhill and Gardiner Street Middle. I was thinking about it the other day when passing. Summerhill was much narrower then, about half the width it is now, so they widened the end of it from the junction back to Langrishe Place. I remember the roadworks but can't recall if it was 10 years ago or 20 years ago.

Another memory is the IDA building there sticking out like a sore thumb. They planted a few creepers around it and now it's almost totally hidden. :)

Incidently, can anyone remember when they widened the junction of Summerhill and Gardiner Street Middle.

Sometime in the early 90s?

Here's a pic looking up Summerhill from the corner of Parnell St. I'd say the pic was taken about late 60s.

That pub (No 121) on the corner of Summerhill/Lr Gardiner St used to be The Green Kilt.

thehill.jpg

And a pic down the 27 Steps taken about the same time. Mary's Mansions visible, part of Liberty House, and the old gasometer.

27steps-1.jpg

Back to the late 60s again and the old 7-A-Side that used to be played at the back of Sean McDermott St... with Summerhill and the 27 Steps there too.

7aside.jpg

And the Diamond shortly before demolition.

diamond4_2-1.jpg

Cracking pics rasher. Spoiling us northsiders. Love the football pic.

Fabulous pictures Rashers - are they your own?

There really was a lot of Georgian Dublin. No wonder they are trying to preserve the few streets that are left.

Thanks humberklog and Wishbone.

I love all of Dublin, but the Northside in particular... that's where me oul heart lies.

Some of those pics are scanned from various books, and you can see some on the National Library site too.

I often wonder how many realise the Georgian buildings were actually built in the 1700s and in fact were never pulled down but were reconditioned... until finally demolished.

I was born in one of the originals before they were reconditioned... less than an asses roar from the 27 Steps. Oh and I even remember the Steps being reconditioned too.

Does that mean I'm getting old? :eek:

Oh, and here's an even older pic taken at the back of Summerhill. The 27 Steps would be to the left of the pic and my grandfather owned the stable with the open door. He was the coalman. And no I wasn't even a glint in me daddy's eye when that pic was taken.

Note the lack of footwear.

1000.jpg

That is a stunning photo.
    I lived in a georgian block too for a while. 65 merrion sq.(with the Erwin Schrodinger plaque, (he was friend of extended family)). Had whole building to myself for a while.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

In the basement they had a rifle range with .22cal rifles. Imagine having something like that in the centre of Dublin now.

There is! Less than 500m from there in Trinity there's a range for both .177 air rifle and .22 rifles.

Great photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

^^ great pics. Makes me sad to see the Rare oul Dublin toimes. It's fastly losing it's charm.
    hs15.jpg

L_Irishtown_c1890-1910_lroy10963.jpg

L_CustomHouse_lcab2.jpg

L_GrattanBridge_NS5456.jpg

Some great pics in the 1911 census archives website http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/exhibition/waters/index.html

1895 workhouse
    MainPic_Workhouse_NA06-026.jpg

J_Em_GraftonStreet_lroy702.jpg

IRLConor wrote: »
    There is! Less than 500m from there in Trinity there's a range for both .177 air rifle and .22 rifles.

I mean open to the public. ;)

In my opinion the best pics are those from the past 30 years or so. Those pics from the late 1800s don't have much relavance.

• Advertisement

WindSock wrote: »
    1895 Workhouse. Don't know why they done away with them.

Did you read or see Strumpet City?

Okay.....

The year is 1964..... where's this?

1964-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Yeah the old pics from my lifetime, ie in the 80's and 90's interest me too but I have been intrigued the last hour or so looking back through the 100 years old ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Dublin Tenemant Life is a long and fascinating book.
    There are loads of copies in Dublin libraries and it's Easons too to buy.

In my opinion the best pics are those from the past 30 years or so. Those pics from the late 1800s don't have much relavance.

But would you agree that if you look closely at them you can see the social as well as the visual changes in our city?

Like this picture of a shoe repair shop on Summerhill in the 60s.

leather.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Here's one from 1964

hardwickest1964.jpg

Thats a particularly interesting photo for me - my Dad grew up in the tenements right beside the church (The buildings known as 'George's Pocket'), and my mum lived there for a couple of years after they married.
    In Jan 1964, they moved out of there just days before I was born - I missed living there by about a week!

deswalsh wrote: »
    Thats a particularly interesting photo for me - my Dad grew up in the tenements right beside the church (The buildings known as 'George's Pocket'), and my mum lived there for a couple of years after they married.
    In Jan 1964, they moved out of there just days before I was born - I missed living there by about a week!

I remember George's Pocket well.

Just as well they moved out before you were born because I think the bells were still rung on Sunday's and for other congregational stuff back then.... you wouldn't have got a wink of sleep!

I've searched for a pic of George's Pocket but no luck. The best I could come up with is this photo from about 100 years ago. Still.... maybe that pub on the corner was your dad's local. ;)

StGeorges4-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

StGeorges4-1.jpg

If I can't a chance today I'll take a photo from the same spot, it doesn't look a whole lot different today.

Mairt wrote: »
    If I can't a chance today I'll take a photo from the same spot, it doesn't look a whole lot different today.

That'd be great to match up the two. I've discovered that the pic was supposed to have been taken about 1911. But I question that date as there's no sign of tram tracks nor overhead cables in the Dorset St part of the photo. My guess is the photo is older than 1911.

George's Pocket used to be a sort of 3 sided square around the church -- the church being 'in' the square if that makes sense. Then in the '60s they built flats behind the church.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I've searched for a pic of George's Pocket but no luck. The best I could come up with is this photo from about 100 years ago. Still.... maybe that pub on the corner was your dad's local. ;)

Great stuff Rashers! My Dad has passed away, but I'm sure my mum would be interested in those photos.

• Advertisement

Did you read or see Strumpet City?

Okay.....

The year is 1964..... where's this?
    Rathmines road Rasher?

Advertisement