Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Neighbour has issue with boundary wall I built

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Who cares, it's a rental, the man causing damage has no right to do so owner or renter.
    He is renting, the wall is on the op land so he can do what he likes with it and also can go to the legal height too.
    He could then plant a hedge or trees and do what he likes.

The LL I'd say is delighted because he won't have had to spend cent.

Sorry it is not a rental as far am I am aware the person causing the issue is a family member living with the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

“The Bible tells us to love our neighbours and also to love our enemies; probably because they are the same people.” – CK Chesterton.

“You may talk of the tyranny of Nero and Tiberius; but the real tyranny is the tyranny of your next-door neighbour.” – Walter Bagehot (Victorian Economist)

Honestly, there's two of you in it - you erected a boundary wall without having the courtesy of consulting with your neighbour. Very bad manners. Your neighbour uses a sledgehammer to damage the wall. Totally out of line. The fact that the wall is in your property (if i'm reading your post correctly) seems to me to solve the legal matter (although I'm no legal eagle). A gesture is required on your behalf in effort to becalm the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

stevek93 wrote: »
    The issue I have is now the neighbour still thinks it is in his garden, he is coming out with a hammer occasionally hitting it. The neighbour who has the issue is not in fact the property owner also. Should I send a letter to the owner of the house from the land surveyor mentioning our findings? Also would it be wise to get the Gardaí involved for criminal damage?

Jaysus, that took an odd turn - sounds like you're dealing with a bit of a loon. Who just comes our and starts hitting a wall with a hammer???

I'd be getting onto the landlord alright and trying to record that.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Jaysus, that took an odd turn - sounds like you're dealing with a bit of a loon. Who just comes our and starts hitting a wall with a hammer???

I'd be getting onto the landlord alright and trying to record that.

Sorry it is a family member living with owner as far as I am aware.

I have cctv footage of the wall being hit sort of, the camera doesn’t look over the wall but it has audio so you can hear “bang bang bang” in the footage and the neighbour poking his head over the wall looking into the garden whilst raising the hammer over the wall.

“The Bible tells us to love our neighbours and also to love our enemies; probably because they are the same people.” – CK Chesterton.

“You may talk of the tyranny of Nero and Tiberius; but the real tyranny is the tyranny of your next-door neighbour.” – Walter Bagehot (Victorian Economist)

Honestly, there's two of you in it - you erected a boundary wall without having the courtesy of consulting with your neighbour. Very bad manners. Your neighbour uses a sledgehammer to damage the wall. Totally out of line. The fact that the wall is in your property (if i'm reading your post correctly) seems to me to solve the legal matter (although I'm no legal eagle). A gesture is required on your behalf in effort to becalm the matter.

Yes the wall is in my garden I believe a boundary wall is different? Correct me if I am wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Sorry it is a family member living with owner as far as I am aware.

I have cctv footage of the wall being hit sort of, the camera doesn’t look over the wall but it has audio so you can hear “bang bang bang” in the footage and the neighbour poking his head over the wall looking into the garden whilst raising the hammer over the wall.

Solicitor last resort, do you know the actual owner? I'd speak with them 1st if you haven't, id make it very clear that there will be no alternative to go legal if it doesn't stop but I'd only state that if they play hard ball.

Make them aware it's your wall and on your property, tell them they're free to build their own one or put in a wooden fence etc.

I'd also speak to the Gardai about it and have it recorded.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Great thanks. May I ask how would the RTB come into it? As far as I am aware it is only for the rental sector?

Because if the landlord does nothing, you may have to open a case with the RTB.

Edit. Ignore as you’ve clarified the person is not a tenant but living with family

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Gumbo wrote: »
    Because if the landlord does nothing, you may have to open a case with the RTB.

Doubt they'd be registered if it's a family member living with the owner?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Doubt they'd be registered if it's a family member living with the owner?

No, and no need to either. The OP cleared up that matter after I posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Nightmare neighbour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Why should I have the nuisance of mowing around the pillars? A garden trimmer would suffice to cut around the pillars. On the neighbours side of the garden is over grown with weeds ivory and vines it is like a jungle there is no grass to cut, it was an eye sore before the wall was erected.

You wanted the wall he didnt...why the **** should he have to endure the pains at your behest?

You wanted the wall he didnt...why the **** should he have to endure the pains at your behest?

The wall is 100% in my garden what is the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Meeoow

If the wall and pillars are on your property, it is none of his concern. He has to stop trying to damage your property.

Meeoow wrote: »
    If the wall and pillars are on your property, it is none of his concern. He has to stop trying to damage your property.

Is there much the Guards can do to stop him hitting with a hammer?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,229 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Is there much the Guards can do to stop him hitting with a hammer?

They’ll send a special unit out to coat it in Flubber.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I have to say , you sound like a terrible neighbour. This could comeback to bite you when you try to see your house.

Chiparus wrote: »
    I have to say , you sound like a terrible neighbour. This could comeback to bite you when you try to see your house.

Explain please, I built a wall in my garden what is the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Explain please.I built the wall in my garden, what is the issue?

It is very difficult to repair a broken relationship with a neighbour, particularly one which deteriorates to the extent yours has. Building a boundary wall, even though it is marginally on your property, without consulting your long resident neighbour soon after you moved in, wasn’t the ideal introduction, particularly as you didn’t even consider discussing it with him. By the sounds of things, this has a long way to run, I don’t think anyone will be surprised if you post back here in the future that your wall has fallen over.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Who just comes our and starts hitting a wall with a hammer???

Maybe he's an Italian plumber

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Is it not stardard affair to speak to the neighbour and see if they would be interested in going halves for a wall? I can't understand just building a wall and not speaking to them to at least see if that's an option?
    I built a wall but knew my neighbours didn't have any money so I didn't ask them for any but I discussed it with them and they were delighted. I got the flat side of the wall on my side as I was paying. I never even thought of it till the brick layer said it but nobody had an issue. They got a free wall at the end of the day.
    A bag on a line sounds like a nightmare all the same, the usual method is stakes and twine with bits of bag tied to it but i think even that's unnecessary from experience.

• Advertisement

Dav010 wrote: »
    It is very difficult to repair a broken relationship with a neighbour, particularly one which deteriorates to the extent yours has. Building a boundary wall, even though it is marginally on your property, without consulting your long resident neighbour soon after you moved in, wasn’t the ideal introduction, particularly as you didn’t even consider discussing it with him. By the sounds of things, this has a long way to run, I don’t think anyone will be surprised if you post back here in the future that your wall has fallen over.

The wall isn't marginally on my property it is completely on my property.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Explain please, I built a wall in my garden what is the issue?

Have you spoken with the neighbor at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Think you should talk to your neighbour again,talk to the home owner

Have you spoken with the neighbor at all?

Yes, I have mentioned to the neighbour if the wall is on his land it I will remove it and have apologised for causing an issue.

I'm going to be putting a wall our front, I have a style I want and as it's on my property I'll do as I please....

Who cares lads, it's a wall, the op wanted some privacy and has lost space in his own garden to do so and the neighbour can jump for all he cares he shouldn't touch the wall it's not on his property and he is crossing the boundary.

I'm going to be putting a wall our front, I have a style I want and as it's on my property I'll do as I please....

Who cares lads, it's a wall, the op wanted some privacy and has lost space in his own garden to do so and the neighbour can jump for all he cares he shouldn't touch the wall it's not on his property and he is crossing the boundary.

Thanks, also I think I have mentioned this but say if I was to get dog or to have a child I wouldn't want the dog or my child wandering into the neighbours garden. I certainly don't think the neighbour would appreciate his garden being used as a toilet by my dog either.

Thanks, also I think I have mentioned this but say if I was to get dog or to have a child I wouldn't want the dog or my child wandering into the neighbours garden. I certainly don't think the neighbour would appreciate his garden being used as a toilet by my dog either.

Have you spoken to the property owner?
    If yes I'd give one more chance for them to cop on and grow up.
    Any damages will be costly and solicitors are too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭irelandrover

How do you intend to cut the grass or weed the area that's on the other side of the wall but on your property?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Once it complies with the conditions for planning exemption and is on your land.

• Advertisement

Once it complies with the conditions for planning exemption and is on your land.

Obviously as stated previously

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement