Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Development Royal Canal Park D15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 guns_healy

kceire wrote: »
    Most likely, the developer will not alter these for you as the would be in breach of the Building Regulations, Part B and Part D, probably Part C too with regards to the CPR Regulations and fit for purpose.

Fire doors should be ordered to fit and not cut on site at all. To do so may render the door useless in the case of a fire and.

If the Building Control Officer spots this, he may tell the builder to replace them and he wont take that risk.

Yes. They won't shave the doors for you as they need to meet the fire safety standards which are a bit extreme. Considering any decent floor or carpet will not fit

However, once you own the house they have no bother coming back to shave your doors at €20 a door.

That's what we had to do.

Basically the builder signs off meeting the regulations, but then if you want to shave them they will come back and do them as a cash job

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

guns_healy wrote: »
    Yes. They won't shave the doors for you as they need to meet the fire safety standards which are a bit extreme. Considering any decent floor or carpet will not fit

However, once you own the house they have no bother coming back to shave your doors at €20 a door.

That's what we had to do.

Basically the builder signs off meeting the regulations, but then if you want to shave them they will come back and do them as a cash job

Yeah pretty much the way it works. They don't know what floor finishes people will use so they can't take the risk ordering shorter doors.

Fire door regulations only allow 5mm gap around the edges except at the bottom which has an allowance for 20mm, but they must be manufactured like this and not cut on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭OrdeP

Could somebody that bought a Heron and have opened a door between kitchen and living room, let me know if it was expensive?
    I'm seriously thinking to do the same and I was wondering how expensive it could be.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Nhol78

OrdeP wrote: »
    Could somebody that bought a Heron and have opened a door between kitchen and living room, let me know if it was expensive?
    I'm seriously thinking to do the same and I was wondering how expensive it could be.

Thanks

This is what I got from Ballymore
    1. How much does it cost to open up the living room into the kitchen with sliding doors? There are three options here, 1. Wall left open – No cost 2. Double doors €650.00 3.Sliding pocket doors €1700

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭OrdeP

I was told today, by a SherryFitz lady, that virgin is already available in RCP, however I had the idea that only eir or Vodafone was available already. Is it true?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

re: the bistro they are going to run parent and baby mornings which should bring people in. there is very little advertising about it.

The other cafe is full all the time and their coffee is bad, and the staff are not the best

There's a new cafe opening soon facing the spar/centra on the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Really? As well as the Appatizers place? Is the management suite on the move out of its old home??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Manion

OrdeP wrote: »
    I was told today, by a SherryFitz lady, that virgin is already available in RCP, however I had the idea that only eir or Vodafone was available already. Is it true?

Hi, be careful taking at face value what SherryFitz says. For instance my back garden most certainly is not 54 Sq Meters.

There is Virgin broadband in RCP Apartments. From reading old threads it took many years after the apartments were built before UPC provided service to the apartments.

In my previous home we had Virgin Broadband. As part of the move we contacted Virgins customer retention group and they raised a case for the site to be looked at. After a day or so they came back and told us the developer had auctioned off the rights to provide broadband to the new houses and they could not provide any services. That could be nonsense by virgin. All the houses are wired for coax to the front so something doesn't make sense here.

Really? As well as the Appatizers place? Is the management suite on the move out of its old home??

No idea of names or anything, but the last time I inspected, the building was about to be fitted out.

From looking at Google Maps, it seems that its Appatizers Bistro, sorry I had no idea it was the same one.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

it opened the October bank holiday weekend

Wrong thread sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 1dav

Bruncvik wrote: »
    Thank you very much for the summary, Manion. I share your pain in two points: kitchen drawers (extremely poor job - falling off the rails, and quite skewed), and silicone seal. Both of our showers have been leaking in the bottom right corner until I put some silicone there, but it appears I need to be adding more, as they started leaking again. Don't know where the leak is coming from.

As for the locks, that's the first thing we did after we got all contractors out. Unfortunately, we gave a key to the builders for the extractor fan leak fix, and I've been requesting my key back since then (week and a half), with no result.

Other than these annoyances, though, I love our new house. It's warm and cozy. Beats paying 50% more in rent for a cold apartment with storage heaters :)

Hi,

We are having exactly the same problems with leaking showers in the bottom right corner. Have you managed to find out where the leak is coming from?
    I tried to seal the shower door couple of times but it is still leaking. It is so annoying!!!
    Maybe water is finding it's way through the joints of the shower's door???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

John Mason wrote: »
    re: the bistro they are going to run parent and baby mornings which should bring people in. there is very little advertising about it.

The other cafe is full all the time and their coffee is bad, and the staff are not the best

I didn't even know there was another café in the complex! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Bruncvik

1dav wrote: »
    Hi,

We are having exactly the same problems with leaking showers in the bottom right corner. Have you managed to find out where the leak is coming from?
    I tried to seal the shower door couple of times but it is still leaking. It is so annoying!!!
    Maybe water is finding it's way through the joints of the shower's door???
    I think the door frame may not be well set against the tiles. When I put some silicone there, the leak weakened and is showing only when I splash around and get the walls wet. I'll be trying to put a little sealant all the way up along the frame. I don't know about your build, but I noticed that it's being held by only two screws, one on the top and one on the bottom, and the middle of the frame is buckling out a little.

I think the door frame may not be well set against the tiles. When I put some silicone there, the leak weakened and is showing only when I splash around and get the walls wet. I'll be trying to put a little sealant all the way up along the frame. I don't know about your build, but I noticed that it's being held by only two screws, one on the top and one on the bottom, and the middle of the frame is buckling out a little.

What house type did you get and which bathroom is it, This is something I will ask the person who is doing my snagging to check out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Can people pm me any recommendations they have for alarm installers.
    (with rough price if you don't mind!)

It's next on our list.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Bruncvik

Nhol78 wrote: »
    What house type did you get and which bathroom is it, This is something I will ask the person who is doing my snagging to check out.
    It's the Ash (3 bedroom), and showers in both bathrooms. That's what makes me think this may be a more common issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Arbie

It's the Ash (3 bedroom), and showers in both bathrooms. That's what makes me think this may be a more common issue.

We also had it in a Heron, all sorted now but took a lot of time and effort. Anyone affected should email Ballymore about it - we were told we were the only ones with the issue...

• Registered Users Posts: 38 1dav

Hi. It is quite common issue I am afraid. Our neighbours experienced it as well.
    Can you tell me where were the leaks coming from? We had a guy from Ballymore resealing our showers but it did not help. We are a bit annoyed with asking builders to come and fix it.
    I'm trying to do it myself now.
    Any advice and tips appreciated
    Thanks

• Advertisement

1dav wrote: »
    Hi. It is quite common issue I am afraid. Our neighbours experienced it as well.
    Can you tell me where were the leaks coming from? We had a guy from Ballymore resealing our showers but it did not help. We are a bit annoyed with asking builders to come and fix it.
    I'm trying to do it myself now.
    Any advice and tips appreciated
    Thanks

We had leaks at both bottom corners and even below the door. The whole door had to come off, all silicone removed, the door was put back in and double silicone sealed. We found there was also grout missing which I just redid myself. No problems since. Very annoying as the walls are now stained.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Manion

Can people pm me any recommendations they have for alarm installers.
    (with rough price if you don't mind!)

It's next on our list.

It really comes down to what you want. We had quotes ranging from 715 Euro to 1500 Euro for the Herron. Even for the same system there was a range. Be careful about going with systems that have a "cloud" subscription model for self monitoring.

I got a quote of 1,200 for Heron for an alarm, it includes free software that allows you to manage your alarm once it is connected to the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Anyone been dealing with Ballymore on the help to buy scheme yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Casa2

Does someone know when the new apartments will be build? We are looking to buy something in Ashtown but it is very hard at the moment so may be new development will help.

Casa2 wrote: »
    Does someone know when the new apartments will be build? We are looking to buy something in Ashtown but it is very hard at the moment so may be new development will help.

It looks like the foundations are being laid now for the first apartment block. It's Block A on the site plan: http://royalcanalpark.com/site-plan/

Arbie wrote: »
    It looks like the foundations are being laid now for the first apartment block. It's Block A on the site plan: http://royalcanalpark.com/site-plan/

Thanks Arbie I may contact the Ballymore to know about when it will come to the market. Too much trouble trying to buy one second hand in Ashtown as most of the apartment are in Negative Equity or repossation stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Thanks Arbie I may contact the Ballymore to know about when it will come to the market. Too much trouble trying to buy one second hand in Ashtown as most of the apartment are in Negative Equity or repossation stage.

God help us I hope we don't end up in that position!

Arbie wrote: »
    It looks like the foundations are being laid now for the first apartment block.  It's Block A on the site plan: http://royalcanalpark.com/site-plan/

Your comments make no sense
    1. How would negative equity impact the sale of a property or make it more difficult, in my opinion it does not.
    2. Second hand can some times be better if the place is in good shape. With new you have plenty of extra work to do to make the place livable
    3. The new apartments are bigger than some of the other ones in the area and will probably be more expensive

• Advertisement

Nhol78 wrote: »
    Your comments make no sense
    1. How would negative equity impact the sale of a property or make it more difficult, in my opinion it does not.
    2. Second hand can some times be better if the place is in good shape. With new you have plenty of extra work to do to make the place livable
    3. The new apartments are bigger than some of the other ones in the area and will probably be more expensive

I am in the middle of a negative equity mess in Ashtown so I am 100% sure of what I am talking about. Banks are not giving the consent to owners to sell and taking their times to make it a repossession so buyers are losing money with solicitors, surveys,valuation and time. Even if it is more expensive I will be glad to buy a new one in Ashtown. A house will be too much for us but an apartment in the new development will be great and that is why I am trying to find out the progress.ðŸ‘

Advertisement