Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amber Heard admits to beating up Johnny Depp

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

ibFoxer wrote: »
    I don't know whether i'm more upset by what you're saying or the fact that you can't seem to use the entire alphabet that is at your disposal.

Are u upset? God bless us, your very hard done by

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Of course I have empathy for murdered women, but as I pointed out in an earlier post, until we have some idea how many men have been driven to an early grave because of a toxic woman (I personally knew one man) it is best to reserve judgment on which gender is more damaging to the other...it gets us absolutely no where....of course, that would require a much larger share of funding to enable that research to take place, something that is not going to happen anytime soon.

What are you on about?

We know how many men have been murdered because it's reported in the news (such as the man who was sadly stabbed to death by his partner the other day) and by the Justice system and by the Gardai and the CSO.

We track all murders. This information already exists, you just refuse to accept it because it doesn't fit with your point of view.

I'm not going to debate reality with you.

Essentially, your post says "I believe the studies that say I'm right and I don't believe the studies that say I'm wrong."

• Registered Users Posts: 39,521 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

2 rich junkies knocking lumps out of each other.

Who gives a flying fúck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

KiKi III wrote: »
    What are you on about?

We know how many men have been murdered because it's reported in the news (such as the man who was sadly stabbed to death by his partner the other day) and by the Justice system and by the Gardai and the CSO.

We track all murders. This information already exists, you just refuse to accept it because it doesn't fit with your point of view.

Essentially, your post says "I believe the studies that say I'm right and I don't believe the studies that say I'm wrong."

As a whole, women commit more emotional violence so it could be argued that sometimes male suicide could be seen as a symptom of domestic abuse coupled with the fact that there is no escape for men tbh.

But, on the plus side, we all agree that domestic abuse is recipricol. That' snice.

As a whole, women commit emotional violence so it could be argued that sometimes male suicide could be seen as a symptom of domestic abuse coupled with the fact that there is no escape for men tbh.

But, on the plus side, we all agree that domestic abuse is recipricol. That' snice.

God, you're full of shiit.

• Advertisement

Better than being made entirely of it :D

But, it's okay Kiki, I'm not going to ask you to pay for a meal so you can calm down

Better than being made entirely of it :D

But, it's okay Kiki, I'm not going to ask you to pay for a meal so you can calm down

It would never come up cc, as I'd rather get 12 cats than go on a date with you.

Still not over losing the bet, eh?

It would never come up cc, as I'd rather get 12 cats than go on a date with you.

Still not over losing the bet, eh?

I feel bad for the cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

What are you on about?

You really have been sucked in haven't you....my neighbour, the man who was battered out of his home onto the streets to die without dignity does not show up in any stats...he is not on his own.

Did you read what I said? I used to believe all that nonsense peddled by feminists...I feel foolish for doing so....I have since reasoned (not least because of information I have been exposed to here on boards) that life is much more complicated than some one dimensional theory that a patriarchy exists that is oppressing women...it is an infantile fantasy...one which doesn't actually require much faculty to penetrate.

What you say about your own position is I'll gorge on whatever the Women's Council feeds me with without so much as a question because I am a weak willed women who needs to be spoonfed what to think. (I do apologise for that last part, it is not nice being fooled I have been there more times than I'd like to admit)

You will in time, just like I did, cop on that you are being hood winked!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Boggles wrote:
    2 rich junkies knocking lumps out of each other.
    Boggles wrote:
    Who gives a flying fúck?

A lot of people cared when it was a rich male junkie knocking lumps out of a rich female junkie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Not entirely.

I agree that women are victims of violence to the point of death in far too many cases, and it is appalling. There must continue to be massive support like refuges, strict laws and protection, funding, compassionate policing etc.
    But I also find the RadFem policy of constantly ignoring or downplaying the extensive reality of male abuse to be very unpleasant.
    Women do not kill men to anywhere the same extent, that is trye. But there is other terrible abuse that is often ignored, though it is not as bad as murder for sure.
    I do not, thank God, know any man or woman who was killed by a partner. I have heard rumours of physical violence in the case of both sexes. Statisically it is likely more women suffer as I do believe that research. But there is a form of emotional abuse that women inflict on men and honestly I have lost count of the number of cases I have personally encountered. Some close friends. That is the limiting of access to or custody of children after the breakdown of relationships. It is an epidemic, the amount of men who get a horrific deal when all they are trying to do is keep up a relationship with their beloved child. Truly I cannot understand how anyone can inflict that kind of emotional abuse on someone. It is a terrible vindictiveness. I am sure it has caused deaths by suicide, and uncountable fractured lives.

Both sexes need compassion. And why not EQUALLY.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Do we really need all these -isms and gender studies nonsense? Can't it just be as simple as treating others as you would like yourself to be treated, but of course there are those who would quite enjoy a pummelling from Amber Heard.

🙈🙉🙊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

LillySV wrote: »
    Im mortified that there’s so many soft little men out there moaning and spending too much time going on about their feelings ..

If u feel hard done by in a relationship, then u leave and split up

harden up and consider all the people out there getting a far worse deal in life than you or Johnny Depp...

Thank you for giving such a perfect illustration of the double standard around domestic abuse.

Nobody would tell a woman suffering domestic abuse at the hands of a man that she's soft, that she spends too much time moaning about her feelings, and that she needs to harden up.

Women with abusive partners get sympathy and support. Men get disparagement and ridicule.

It's no wonder, then, that so many men suffer in silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I think that’s a bloke not a woman talking ****e by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

We have headbanger feminists running for Public Office trying to convince women that only they suffer from the "Epidemic of Domestic Violence" in the same week we have seen three kids *murdered in Dublin and a man murdered in Wexford by women....

I doubt the Amber Heard story will make much difference.

It is time to stop funding to organisations that are consistently guilty of misrepresenting statistics to the detriment of equality.

are you just waiting for these topics so as to engage your whataboutery?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭tritium

Well, I've never seen any of my feminist peers attempt to claim men are not the victims of domestic violence. Not once. I can't be ashamed of myself for supporting a narrative when that narrative, as far as I know, doesn't exist.

Advocating for women doesn't mean you don't support men, you're creating a correlation there that doesn't exist.

There is a massive disparity in funding because there is a massive disparity in impact. You've already admitted far more women suffering domestic abuse get murdered than the other way around. So obviously that's going to create a disparity?

To reiterate, I'm in favour of more supports for men. But I recognise the reality that women are far more likely to be victims, and therefore far more likely to need these supports.

It's a shame you're not as upset about the disparity of perpetrators as well as victims.

https://www.womensaid.ie/about/policy/natintstats.html#X-201209171234296

You do get that 29% of women and 26% of men suffer domestic abuse in Ireland right? You do realize that the funding is about €20m in one case and under a million in the other right?

These are COSCs statistics

• 15% of women and 6% of men suffer severe domestic abuse
    • 29% of women and 26% of men suffer domestic abuse when severe abuse and minor incidents are combined
    • 13% of women and 13% of men suffer physical abuse or minor physical incidents and
    • 29% of women (1 in 3) and only 5% of men (1 in 20) report to the Gardaí.

The 1 in 20 men reporting stat doesn’t surprise me in the slightest when I read posts like yours

lawred2 wrote: »

Sorry for hitting a nerve.

Sorry for hitting a nerve.

is that what you think?

is that what you think?

I don't really care what you think.

tritium wrote: »
    You do get that 29% of women and 26% of men suffer domestic abuse in Ireland right? You do realize that the funding is about €20m in one case and under a million in the other right?

These are COSCs statistics

• 15% of women and 6% of men suffer severe domestic abuse
    • 29% of women and 26% of men suffer domestic abuse when severe abuse and minor incidents are combined
    • 13% of women and 13% of men suffer physical abuse or minor physical incidents and
    • 29% of women (1 in 3) and only 5% of men (1 in 20) report to the Gardaí.

The 1 in 20 men reporting stat doesn’t surprise me in the slightest when I read posts like yours

I am quite surprised at those figures, learning something new. Given that the survey was done in 2003,that means there have been 15 years of serious under response to the problem of domestic violence against men

• Advertisement

Gynoid wrote: »
    I am quite surprised at those figures, learning something new. Given that the survey was done in 2003,that means there have been 15 years of serious under response to the problem of domestic violence against men

In 15 years the gap in funding would be approx, going by the disparity of today's figures (which I know isn't an exact figure but as close as we can guess).....€300,000,000 to Domestic Abuse Services for women. €12,000,000 to Domestic Abuse Services to men.

I'd imagine, this is witnessed in countries all over the world, there are 2,000 shelters especially for women in the US, there is 1 for men.

That pays for a lot of research and jobs.

In 15 years the gap in funding would be approx, going by the disparity of today's figures (which I know isn't an exact figure but as close as we can guess).....€300,000,000 to Domestic Abuse Services for women. €12,000,000 to Domestic Abuse Services to men.

I'd imagine, this is witnessed in countries all over the world, there are 2,000 shelters especially for women in the US, there is 1 for men.

That pays for a lot of research and jobs.

Given the proximity of the figures in the survey that is very bad. I really did not know the figures were so comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Sarcozies

NgqKJ3Y.png

Tell me about how funding, number of shelters available and general attitude towards male/female victims are proportionate to the number of actual victims and I'll call you a liar.

We need to do much better.

I don't really care what you think.

I suppose I can learn to deal with that.

Sarcozies wrote: »
    NgqKJ3Y.png

That's bizarre

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Worse when one considers that there are shelters in nearly every US state for the pets of abused women.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

That's bizarre

It's not bizarre at all. It reflects the prevailing assumption that men are the perpetrators and women the victims of domestic abuse.

Do we really need all these -isms and gender studies nonsense? Can't it just be as simple as treating others as you would like yourself to be treated, but of course there are those who would quite enjoy a pummelling from Amber Heard.

I dunno, I feel bad for saying this but she kind of looks like a woman who is with a man but doesn't actually like men. God, it's awful but I feel like I've seen women like her a lot and I think they get unhappy and vindictive.

I look at her and I see someone hot, but there be sharks boys.

Ignore the deflection/gaslighting. Can't lose if you don't play the game and just hammer them with facts.

• Advertisement

anewme wrote: »
    I think that’s a bloke not a woman talking ****e by the way

Was that towards my post?

Advertisement