Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

buying a house on your own

• 01-09-2005 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if it possible at all to buy your won house on your own if you dont earn like €40,000 a year!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

how much do u earn would be a start

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭SparkyLarks

Planning to buy a house on my own,
    I can stretch to 250,000 but I'll neet to find someone to rent a room.( I have a 10% deposit)

I'm on the avg inductrial wage.
    I'll need the parents to go garantor but I'll be making the repayments( ~900 a month) alomst 50% of my net income. I don't have any loans which is a big plus. with a loger it's about 600 a month left for me to pay which is 33% of my net income which is prety doable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Bitsie

not enough!! under €35,000 anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭SparkyLarks

your Gross salary is what the older banks use.

building societies use your net income, so you normally end up being able to borrow more, esp if you don;t have any outstanding loans.

Go to a morgage broker and find out what sort of mortgage you can get.

On the Avg industial wage and debt free you can get 200,000.

GO to a broker they'll tell give you a good idea

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Shared ownership is probably your best bet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Bitsie wrote:
    not enough!! under €35,000 anyway

So how much to you expect to buy a property for? You can buy a property with your money but where it will be is the issue! If you are thinking Dublin I don't think you will get much but a one bed appartment might be possible in the suburbs. Just bear in mind living on your own completely is a difficult thing to do for many people.

i was thinking a little outside the city like maybe swords or even balbriggan..somewhere like that as i know in the city centre will be too expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Bitsie wrote:
    i was thinking a little outside the city like maybe swords or even balbriggan..somewhere like that as i know in the city centre will be too expensive.

A friend of mine just bought a 1 bed in Swords and it was €195k which seemed like a good deal.

This might sound like a nuts idea but yoy could by a house with somebody and split it. You could be a lot closer to Dublin and have a better asset. It's what happened to many houses in the UK.

http://www2.myhome.ie/search/property.asp?id=247167&p=2&rt=search&searchlist=

Not too expensive to split but close to the city. It's not for everybody but could work out. That particular house is a bit pricy for what you get but the idea might suit. The front bedroom is easy to get a bathroom into and the box room will allow a kitchen in upstairs. I've seen it done with additional extensions and without both possible but obviosly cost is a factor

yeah i knoe good idea but this is my problem there is no one who can buy it with me at the moment. i think i may just rent somewhere for awhile until me and my boyfriend can buy a house together! thanks for the advice guys !

• Registered Users Posts: 45,819 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If you can find the right house at the right money I dont think you will have much bother in getting a mortgage.

Talk to your local mortgage broker and you might be pleasantly surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭AndyWarhol

Bitsie wrote:
    Does anyone know if it possible at all to buy your won house on your own if you dont earn like €40,000 a year!!

40k a year? Tut! You wouldn't get a lock up garage in West Dublin on that salary. Try 80k a year for a semi-D in suburbia...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

AndyWarhol wrote:
    40k a year? Tut! You wouldn't get a lock up garage in West Dublin on that salary. Try 80k a year for a semi-D in suburbia...

true, there are very few good houses on sale in dublin for the massive demand. u need to make 80 grand just to live in a semi d, sad but true.
    labour and land inflation has gone out of control here. If i was setting up a company that was non service related i would think twice b4 setting up in dublin or within 50 miles of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

To answer your original question, yes you could get a mortgage on your own, just do what most people do - fiddle your p60 and get relations to deposit money temporarily in your account.
    The main thing you have to work out is can you afford to pay back the repayments if worse case scenario, you can't rent other room. There are plenty of 2/3 bed properties for around the 240-270k mark on myhome obviously not in city centre but people work in other places other than the centre.
    Good luck with it.

Advertisement