Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Prepaid electricity can be changed into billed?

• 18-12-2019 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi all,

Excuse my ignorance, after living in Ireland for almost 20 years, I've been finding out many places where they have prepaid electricity. I never saw them before. Is it something new or have I missed something? Have they been installed because people used not to pay their bills or for any other reason?
    Clarified this, is it possible to change from prepaid to billed electricity? My main concern is that I run out of electricity and I won't have any card to use with me! I've always paid my bills, I swear.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Xterminator

short answer yes, easily changed. Cheaper per unit too. Sometimes they require a very substantial deposit which can put people off.

PS you can montor & pay for prepaid electricity with an app on your phone or online. I don't really think being afraid it will run out because you don't have a card is the main disadvantage of pre pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Yes you can switch and it won't be a problem unless your landlord won't allow the change.

Usually they are put in for customers with poor credit and don't reliably pay their bills.

Call the electricity supplier and discuss the options. Then discuss it with the landlord.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Both the additional meters (Pinergy, Prepaypower) and all modern network prepaid meters can be put in to bypass mode and revert to normal billing.

The same does not apply for gas, currently anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Shinsen

short answer yes, easily changed. Cheaper per unit too. Sometimes they require a very substantial deposit which can put people off.

PS you can montor & pay for prepaid electricity with an app on your phone or online. I don't really think being afraid it will run out because you don't have a card is the main disadvantage of pre pay.

Thank you for your message.
    Is there a deposit also with direct debit?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Shinsen wrote: »
    Thank you for your message.
    Is there a deposit also with direct debit?

Depends on the supplier

• Advertisement
Advertisement