Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How did you accidentally get pregnant?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Combination of underestimating how quickly fertility returns after stopping taking a minipill and not pulling out in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Pineapple1 wrote: »
    Eh not at all you're wrong there. Never thought anyone I knew who got pregnant was a moron for doing so. You sound like you've a massive chip on your shoulder

Why take an issue with them saying it was an accident? The thigh is people use that kind of expression in all kind of situations and yet the only one you find worthy talking about is pregnancy. Give me a break.

And on the subject no pills don't malfunction as often as people get pregnant by accident. I'm not saying it can't happen but it's not upset stomach that does all the damage in vast majority of cases.

The thigh is nobody is perfect and sometimes will all make mistakes or act irresponsibly. As long as you deal with pregnancy responsibly by either having an abortion or having a baby and properly taking care of them it doesn't really matter. The only real damage is when children are born to parents who don't want to be parents and act as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭fits

Sardonicat wrote: »
    'The pull out method' isn't recommended for anyone!
    Typo. Meant pill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Addle wrote: »
    Would someone who knows condom split not get the map?

It was a GP who told me I wouldn’t heed the MAP cos I was on the pill for so long (years) and wouldn’t be ovulating.

Well in my situation, as I said I was on the pill also at the time, so no, I didn't bother with the MAP.

Besides which I was engaged to the fella at the time, an unplanned pregnancy wouldn't have been a major crisis.

I think that's a case the lot of the time with "accidental" pregnancies - if you're in a stable relationship where a pregnancy wouldn't be the end of the world, people can get a bit lax about contraception. Whereas most people would be much more careful to prevent accidental pregnancies in casual relationships, or if they really don't want a child (or another child, as the case may be.) It's not a case that people are stupid and don't know how pregnancy happens or how to avoid it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It can happen when men don’t get the snip when the family is done.

Women can ovulate unexpectedly, more so towards menopause. So you have erratic cycles, and hormonal contraceptives don’t work as well when hormones fluctuate. People sometimes don’t know this until too late. Taa daa, baby.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

A friend had an upset stomach hangover over the Christmas holidays one year - pill obviously came back up/out and she became pregnant despite having taken the pill religiously (as she thought). Only afterwards realised that the dodgy tummy had that effect.

Another friend became pregnant after the mirena coil slipped out of place - ti was still in there for the early part of her pregnancy until the doctor deemed it safe to remove it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Your contraception failed, you forgot to take your pill, you didn't pull out in time, you took a calculated risk and it went against ya.

"Accidentally" is pretty widely used and understood as an antonym of "deliberately" like, I don't see how it's such a mystifying turn of phrase.

Like last week, I was chopping vegetables and cut my finger accidentally. I obviously understood that fingers near moving blade carries a risk of injury, probably if I'd paid more attention it wouldn't have happened. But it wasn't why I undertook the activity and I actually actively did NOT want it to happen. So it was an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

No pregnancy is an actual accident, unless for some reason the pill doesn't work. But even then it can't be an accident. Because (a) the gp should advise you that your pill is less effective when on antibiotics (B) if you read your pill packet then you'll know that puking means it's less effective if you're sick (c) if you're not on the pill and take a chance (D) if your other contraceptive like a condom splits, you'll know. And for all of the above incidents there's (E), the morning after pill. So I don't believe anyone who says they got accidentally pregnant. I had three pregnancies myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

But your logic pretty much rules out the very concept of 'an accident'

Car accident? - you should have known it was possible for another car to drive into you/a tire to blow out
    Knife accident? - you should have known it was possible for a knife to slip
    Fall down the stairs? - how are you unaware of the existence of gravity???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

B0jangles wrote: »
    But your logic pretty much rules out the very concept of 'an accident'

Car accident? - you should have known it was possible for another car to drive into you/a tire to blow out
    Knife accident? - you should have known it was possible for a knife to slip
    Fall down the stairs? - how are you unaware of the existence of gravity???

It wasn’t a car accident as one of ye didn’t comply with the rules of the toad and therefore collided, tyre blew out because it wasn’t maintained, knife slipped as you were careless and didn’t hold it right, you fell down the stairs cause you weren’t paying attention or your lace was undone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

What is an accident if none of the circumstances I described qualify as accidents?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

adam88 wrote: »
    It wasn’t a car accident as one of ye didn’t comply with the rules of the toad and therefore collided, tyre blew out because it wasn’t maintained, knife slipped as you were careless and didn’t hold it right, you fell down the stairs cause you weren’t paying attention or your lace was undone.

What are you purposing a public flogging? A detailed discussion with a woman/couple why her/their version of an accident is not an accident (in case of unplanned pregnancy)?

Can I ask why are you so intent to attribute blame? Why does it matter so much to you to decide in all circumstances what people did wrong? Most of us just accept that as humans we are not perfect. Personally I think analyzing everything and always attributing guilt is for the people who need to make themselves feel better by putting others down.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ksceniaonegina

Only contraceptive failure counts as unintended pregnancy.

Otherwise it's either thinking with your genitals and not your brain or worse, reproductive coercion.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

One other way....(not to me)...thinking breastfeeding is a contraceptive...particularly shortly after giving birth (like a month or two).I know two women who had babies 11 months apart in the last year, who obviously took that chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I'd say a lot of it is accidents on purpose or trying to trap a man who they suspect is trying to break up. More of it happens that you would think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I'd say a lot of it is accidents on purpose or trying to trap a man who they suspect is trying to break up. More of it happens that you would think

Love the blame culture. :pac::pac::pac:

As we're going down that route, it is often some selfish man who refuses point blank to get the snip when his wife can no longer tolerate hormonal contraception. Your cycle gets irregular when you approach menopause, so it is very difficult to gauge where in your cycle you are. I know an absolute load of women in their 40's who had 'accidental' pregnancies in those circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Chelle_C

I'm sure it does happen but these poor 'trapped' men should maybe try wearing a condom when they have sex instead of relying on the woman to protect herself.

It's always the woman that gets the blame for an unplanned pregnancy, some seem to forget the man has to be actively involved in the sexual act in order for the pregnancy to happen in the first place!

Advertisement