Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bedroom locks in a shared flat

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

denartha wrote: »
    Not huge money. I'm sure the OP could afford to spring for it himself.

How much is "not huge money". 7k is not huge money to some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i lived in a house share ,every bedroom door had a lock,
    Even if you trust the tenants there ,its best to lock the door when you go out.
    There may be a tradesman there when you go out,during the day
    to paint , or do minor repairs .
    There,s no way you can monitor every person who goe,s into the house
    Do you want someone who maybe is not sober coming back from the pub, going into your room,when you are not there .
    without permission ,rents are high,
    having basic security on your room and your possessions is the least you should get as a tenant .
    A carpenter can put a lock on 1 door in a few minute,s ,
    it will not cost much .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Del2005 wrote: »
    In apartments all doors are fire rated and you won't be able to kick them in.

People have died in houses due to locked doors. A little bit of insecurity is better than burning.

I know then locks and how few different key combinations that they have. If someone working in your home wanted to open the door that lock won't stop them. So while you might think that it's safely locked up it's not.

Fire in my apartment block a few years ago, most the doors were kicked in, it was happening while I was there. Even if people left their apartment and locked it after them they were kicked in. I left mine unlocked in case of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

So my suggestion is put in door lock,s ,ones that only can be locked from the outside
    using a standard basta lock, no keyhole on the inside,
    in case of fire there,s no need to look for a key.
    And then a simple sliding bolt lock can be installed on the inside of the door,
    so the tenant can lock the door from the inside if they want before they
    go to sleep.
    So there is no risk of a delay if theres a fire in the house .
    no need to look for a key in the unlikely chance there might be a fire ,
    when the tenants are all asleep .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

kceire wrote: »
    Yes. I’ve seen teenagers go to their rooms, lock the door from the inside, pop in head phones or turn on music and not even hear the smoke alarm on the landing.

That’s not accidental locking then. :confused:

When I was a teenager, my bedroom key was confiscated. Anyone renting a house to a family with teenagers - that’s the most likely scenario.

In an all-adult house-sharing situation, you’d be mighty unlucky to die in a fire because you accidentally locked your bedroom door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

kceire wrote: »
    I, as a landlord would not provide locks for bedroom doors.
    I believe they are a great fire hazard should they be mistakenly locked at night.

Even thumb locks or have you adjusted your opinion when that was raised as an option.

What about an internal bolt but a key for external when leaving (i.e. very similar to a thumblock scenario) ?

With regards to cost it seems fair that the tenant pays if it is their concern.

Fire Safety is obviously a concern but there a plenty of residential houses that all have the typical lock and handle on them.
    How much is "not huge money". 7k is not huge money to some people.

Well if a lock costs 7K...

The real cost would be the installation not the lock but could be taken from the deposit or added as an additional cost temporarily. If the landlord likes their tenant and wants to keep them then they should consider it a cost of doing business. Obviously if renting to multiple tenants then the landlord should consider safety of their tenant (and so many in this thread are when regarding fire regulations), especially from other tenants, paramount and either agree to the lock or agree to ending the lease early with no issues if a lock is required due to safety concerns. (Don't get wound up landlords!)

EDIT: OP, talk to your landlord about the options and your concerns about privacy while away and see what they are willing to accommodate, maybe get some prices and if you can afford upfront: perfect.

Edit 2: A night latch (used before thumb locks etc. became popular) seems to be the perfect option here, easy to open from inside and lockable from outside. They are not expensive, 15EUR to 50EUR, and are relatively easy to install so the labour might be easy enough.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Even thumb locks or have you adjusted your opinion when that was raised as an option.

I have never adjusted my opinion. If you search my posts over the years, I have always stated that no key locks go in. Thumb locks are fine and i've stated that in previous posts.

My profession and living comes from Fire Safety Inspections in Dublin, so I can 100% confirm that my opinions on lockable doors to bedrooms has not changed in 20 years!

My initial reply was because the OP wanted key lock both sides.

Advertisement