Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Going Rural

• 19-05-2019 6:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hello folks.

I am on the Fingal county council social housing waiting list for the last 9 years and I was thinking of going rural and leaving Dublin, not to a village or town but maybe 5 to 10 miles away from this anywhere in mid or near east Ireland. I'd rather live in the country to be honest.

I am a single male of 50 years with no children. I was wondering in regards to how I could approach this. Would I have to change my local authority to another one, or do you think my local authority would even allow me to go rural instead of Dublin ?. I am not sure on how this works but I will contact them in time to discuss it. I was just wondering about the basics here first before I contact the council.

Thanks

You need more exact locations than "go rural" eg find a county. Maybe talk to Citizens info on the phone?

No-one can stop you relocating. I did this several times when i was on RA and had to find a house first then contact the local authority in that area. it will be a different authority so basically no connection with your current council

Nowadays with HAP you have to do that anyways.

No need to ask permission

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thanks Graces7, I'll drop down to Citizens Advice Tomorrow morning and have a chat with them. If I do find a place in the country from that local authority of the area, will that affect my 9 year waiting list from my local Fingal authority ? or will I have to start from scratch again with the new local authority and wait again for another nine to fifteen years ?.

Thanks

A single man is highly unlikely to be housed in any council area. They all have waiting lists and unless you have other issues you will be last on a long list, that keeps getting longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

as far as I know, they do not transfer waited years like that. The lists are separate.

Look up HAP etc too, but yes, go to Citizens info as they are very experienced and knowledgeable.

And go to daft ie and look around at houses and areas. Good luck and worry not!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I am on the Fingal county council social housing waiting list for the last 9 years and I was thinking of going rural and leaving Dublin, not to a village or town but maybe 5 to 10 miles away from this anywhere in mid or near east Ireland. I'd rather live in the country to be honest.

Rents are cheaper in the countryside it should be easy for you to house yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I know this already. But there are certain circumstances involved so it is not as easy as you put it. Not to be shared here of course, but I received some good information earlier from a local TD as to how to proceed.

It's a housing officer you need to speak not someone seeking a vote. Unless you have a medical need you will not be housed anytime soon . Also you will be put on the bottom of the waiting list if you register with a different authority.

• Advertisement
Advertisement