Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms in rental property

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Why the need for mains smoke alarms? Just buy yourself a few cheap battery ones and put them around your house if you want lots of alarms. Just check the batterys regularly.....

with all the best will in the world an awful lot of people dont change the batteries in their smoke alarm when they have run out or near to running out or put non alkaline batterys in or maybe use 'cheap shop' batteries in them - maybe thats why they decided to regulate that the smoke alarms have a Mains back-up. - I have even had smoke alarms in the past that have not 'chirped' when the battery was low or exhausted - I dunno why but have come across them.

feeling pretty passionate about this CO alarm issue at the moment especially for the week that is in it and I think i shall write off a few letters today and try and lobby the powers that be that all rental property should/must have at least one Carbon Monoxide alarm (and professionally fitted in the right/optimum area if needed) where there is a fuel burning appliance in the room of rented property. Not just a new requirement but a requirement for all existing tennents across the land whether it be people living in RAS/Council/Private renting or whatever

- I dont want to hear of another person or family dying from CO2 fumes due to faulty appliance or blocked chimney that could have been prevented by an alarm early warning them, its the invisible silent killer! - and I still maintain that if you leave it up to the tennent to buy one and fit it properly and maintain it and change it when it gets old you are more than likely going to get the tennent who puts it on the long finger and never gets around to buying/fitting one. However if its left up to authorities and landlords to be forced to supply and fit them by law then thats a better option.

We have been renting for years now and I remember the requirements coming in about the fire blanket being fitted in the kitchen - that had to be enforced so it can be done, i also happen to think that a CO alarm is in some respects just as important as a CO alarm and smoke alarms.

Wish me luck in my plight. I may hit a few brick walls but dont be surprised if you see me on RTE1 six one news one evening lol :D

That's why governments tend to require mains-powered alarms with battery backup.

Its not a requirement in Ireland as far as I'm aware. Only place I've seen them is work places or some apartments never in houses.
    We have been renting for years now and I remember the requirements coming in about the fire blanket being fitted in the kitchen - that had to be enforced

Is this a requirement, my current place doesn't have one nor the previous two places I rented/houseshared in the last 5 years (neither a blanket or an extinguisher)

Its not a requirement in Ireland as far as I'm aware. Only place I've seen them is work places or some apartments never in houses.

Is this a requirement, my current place doesnt have one nor had my previous places (neither a blanket or an extinguisher)

My previous house we rented had 3 smoke alarms and all wired up to the mains as well as having batteries in them (just normal alkaline, not rechargeable) - that was only built in 2002 maybe thats why, maybe it was required in planning permission?

The house we are renting now has 2 Batter operated only smoke alarms im pretty sure of it - this house was built in the late 1970's

Is this a requirement, my current place doesn't have one nor the previous two places I rented/houseshared in the last 5 years (neither a blanket or an extinguisher)

Was an extinguisher one of the requirements? - we have a fire blanket in the kitchen but no extinguisher where we are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes.

But it's something that many LLs don't do. Mostly only get enforced if the council or CWO happens to do an inspection.

Was an extinguisher one of the requirements? - we have a fire blanket in the kitchen but no extinguisher where we are.

I was just mentioning we had neither but it appears it only the blanket which is required (which our LL has not provided).

different landlords have different agendas I suppose and some are more accommodating and thoughtful than others I suppose, this is why its sketchy - in our previous house we rented the landlord had a fire extinguisher already fixed in one of the kitchen cupboards and when the thing came in about the fire blanket we had to wait in one day whilst the (LL friend or lettings agents) came around and drilled and rawlplugged the wall to put up the fire blanket near our cooker and the mains smoke alarms were already installed but i do remember one day (again either LL or letting agent) asking us to be around whilst they sent someone to test the alarms and replace batteries

- and he arranged an earth leakage test on the electrics as well even though the house was pretty modern and built in 2002 - maybe he was the exception or an exceptional outstanding landlord who wanted to do everything by the book and proper, but it makes me realise now what a good landlord he was. The only thing he didnt arrange was a yearly service check of the outside oil boiler but i bet if we asked him he would have got it serviced regularly.

In this house we had to move in now it only has a fire blanked, 2 what look like older battery operated smoke alarms, and no fire extinguisher.

i'd like to get a CO alarm and a fire extinguisher and replace the outdated smoke alarm but it all costs money doesnt it and its all pay out on top of all our other bills and at the end of the day we are renting its not our property and I think if the LL is getting paid a decent monthly rent they should be supplying us with this stuff.

If i were in the insurance trade I would be doing spot checks on rented out houses and regardless of law etc if i found that basics of adequate smoke alarms, fire blanket and extinguisher and a carbon monoxide alarm were not fitted to the rental property I would class that as being a factor should the house burn down or poison the tennent with fumes when it comes to making a claim if these things werent supplied in the first place!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

But, in saying that, if I lived in a property that didn't have what I needed in terms of safety, I would get my own things.

In my apt I have added two extra fire/CO alarm units, and also a fire blanket plus fire extinguisher.

But, even still, fire alarms have an expiry date, which few if any ever check, and fire extinguishers also expire or loose pressure, so need to be checked.

It costs very very little to buy these things yourself, on top of whatever is already there. Why try to blame someone else (landlord) for what you can do for yourself and your own peace of mind???

Paulw wrote: »
    But, in saying that, if I lived in a property that didn't have what I needed in terms of safety, I would get my own things.

In my apt I have added two extra fire/CO alarm units, and also a fire blanket plus fire extinguisher.

But, even still, fire alarms have an expiry date, which few if any ever check, and fire extinguishers also expire or loose pressure, so need to be checked.

It costs very very little to buy these things yourself, on top of whatever is already there. Why try to blame someone else (landlord) for what you can do for yourself and your own peace of mind???

So sorry to disagree - these items are not 2 or 5euro they are expensive items, well they are to me. I am personally on budget and just about manage to pay the bills and the rent each month and some months have got behind so no not me personally and others in the same situation can afford to buy these things! - i have to wrestle now, do I buy 2 new smoke alarms, a CO alarm and a Fire extinguisher this month for me and my families safety or do i keep money to pay the rent and electric this month? - thats the reality of it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

So sorry to disagree - these items are not 2 or 5euro they are expensive items, well they are to me. I am personally on budget and just about manage to pay the bills and the rent each month and some months have got behind so no not me personally and others in the same situation can afford to buy these things! - i have to wrestle now, do I buy 2 new smoke alarms, a CO alarm and a Fire extinguisher this month for me and my families safety or do i keep money to pay the rent and electric this month? - thats the reality of it!

Sounds like the only alternative you have is moving. Your choice. Expecting a landlord to install mains backed up smoke alarms is totally unreasonable in my opinion. If smoke alarms are important to you, test the batteries of the ones you have on a regular basis and they should work just fine.

A fire extinguisher is not required by law and that's right IMO. There's a huge risk in making a fire so much more dangerous by using the wrong kind of extinguisher. A fire blanket (required by law) and salt (very cheap) give you good protection against small fires.

CO alarms aren't necessarily expensive either. There are several options under £5 on Amazon.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

So sorry to disagree - these items are not 2 or 5euro they are expensive items, well they are to me. i have to wrestle now, do I buy 2 new smoke alarms, a CO alarm and a Fire extinguisher this month for me and my families safety or do i keep money to pay the rent and electric this month? - thats the reality of it!

Ok. But the situation is simple. There is only a small legal requirement for a landlord to provide equipment. Everything else you can provide yourself, at your own cost. If you can't afford it, then there is not much more that can be done.

But, to me, I'd prefer a smoke/CO alarm than a month of Sky TV or broadband. I'd value my life a bit more than such services.

Paulw wrote: »
    Ok. But the situation is simple. There is only a small legal requirement for a landlord to provide equipment. Everything else you can provide yourself, at your own cost. If you can't afford it, then there is not much more that can be done.

But, to me, I'd prefer a smoke/CO alarm than a month of Sky TV or broadband. I'd value my life a bit more than such services.

I might even even have to do that - maybe if I scour some facebook pages their might be a competition running to win co alarms for the week thats in it

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭return guide

There are two smoke alarms in our place (don't appear very sensitive though as the down stairs one doesn't go off even with a lot of cooking smoke).

This is most probably a heat detector. If you live in an apartment this should be part of the central fire alarm and detection system.If there is an activation in any apartment of this heat detector there will most likely be a fire and the sounders in all apartments should activate. ( note this is separate to separate to smoke alarms and isa requirement under Irish Standard 3218)

Quite a lot of apartments complexes do not comply with this standard and there have been a couple of instances in the news recently.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

feeling pretty passionate about this CO alarm issue at the moment especially for the week that is in it and I think i shall write off a few letters today and try and lobby the powers that be that all rental property should/must have at least one Carbon Monoxide alarm (and professionally fitted in the right/optimum area if needed) where there is a fuel burning appliance in the room of rented property.

I wish,you the best of luck with your plight. I as a landlord have smoke detection in every single room of my tenants property and also on every landing too, overkill maybe, but with a background in construction, structural engineering and fire engineering, I know all too well how easy it is for a fire to take hold.

I also have a CO alarm in the kitchen where the gas boiler is. But I'd like to clarify that there is no such thing as a professionally fitted CO alarm. They are mostly battery operated as he charcoal element in them has a shelf life of 6-7 years give or take, so you need to be able to dispose of and replace easily. You just stick them to the wall or the ceiling with self tapping screws or double sided atop works too. That's it.

kceire wrote: »
    I wish,you the best of luck with your plight. I as a landlord have smoke detection in every single room of my tenants property and also on every landing too, overkill maybe, but with a background in construction, structural engineering and fire engineering, I know all too well how easy it is for a fire to take hold.

I also have a CO alarm in the kitchen where the gas boiler is. But I'd like to clarify that there is no such thing as a professionally fitted CO alarm. They are mostly battery operated as he charcoal element in them has a shelf life of 6-7 years give or take, so you need to be able to dispose of and replace easily. You just stick them to the wall or the ceiling with self tapping screws or double sided atop works too. That's it.

You sound like a great landlord, not only do you care about your tenants welfare and safety whilst they are renting from you but you also sound like your not one of these landlords that just want to reap in all the benefits of getting a monthly rent of tenants but not look after their tenants after they move in - these type of landlords are few and far between these days i think.

This is most probably a heat detector. If you live in an apartment this should be part of the central fire alarm and detection system.If there is an activation in any apartment of this heat detector there will most likely be a fire and the sounders in all apartments should activate. ( note this is separate to separate to smoke alarms and isa requirement under Irish Standard 3218)

Quite a lot of apartments complexes do not comply with this standard and there have been a couple of instances in the news recently.

It's a cheap flimsy battery operated smoke alarm, cover is even missing off it so definitely not heat detector and it's a house so wouldn't be connected to any central system.

I might get one of these when finances allow. €27 free uk postage (I can choose parcel motel for delivery) on ebay uk site:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/CARBON-MONOXIDE-ALARM-DETECTOR-FIRE-ANGEL-NEW-C0-9DQ-FREE-UK-POSTING-L-K-WOW-/121765298796?hash=item1c59c7026c

€47 in Irish maplin store! - I like gadgety things and this has LCD display on it so it might be right up my street, most probably OTT and a normal non LCD display type would do the same thing I suppose.

I might get one of these when finances allow. €27 free uk postage (I can choose parcel motel for delivery) on ebay uk site:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/CARBON-MONOXIDE-ALARM-DETECTOR-FIRE-ANGEL-NEW-C0-9DQ-FREE-UK-POSTING-L-K-WOW-/121765298796?hash=item1c59c7026c

€47 in Irish maplin store! - I like gadgety things and this has LCD display on it so it might be right up my street, most probably OTT and a normal non LCD display type would do the same thing I suppose.

If you don't mind waiting a month or so have a look on Aliexpress they have lots for around 5 euro or less and free postage.

Edit: I might actually pick up one or two myself for our home house as we have an oil boiler, oil stove and gas fire and no CO alarm.

Aldi have CO Detectors for €19.99 this thursday.

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    Aldi have CO Detectors for €19.99 this thursday.

Just ordered one for 6 euro incl delivery for my parents on Aliexpress.

Make sure they are CE marked and installed in accordance with its instructions.

Yes the price - they would be legit and legal and not dangerous clones of more expensive models no, you cant really gamble with things like this because if its going to be like some cheap items you get in pound shops and the like which are iffy at the best of times then its not worth having one ata all if its not going to go off or break easily - this is why in the past I have been put off bying these really cheap smoke detectors from cheap shops or pound shops

Yes the price - they would be legit and legal and not dangerous clones of more expensive models no, you cant really gamble with things like this because if its going to be like some cheap items you get in pound shops and the like which are iffy at the best of times then its not worth having one ata all if its not going to go off or break easily - this is why in the past I have been put off bying these really cheap smoke detectors from cheap shops or pound shops

Aliexpress is a legitimate site I've bought lots of stuff off them and the vast majority of stuff is high quality often at a fraction of the price of the equivalent item here.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2014-High-Sensitive-Professional-Carbon-Monoxide-Detector-Gas-Sensor-CO-Detector-Alarm-for-Home-Security-Safety/32237147957.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.2.NJIWyI&ws_ab_test=201526_4,201527_1_71_72_73_74_75,201409_3

This is the one I bought, its certified and the seller has sold it almost 600 times with an almost 99% satisfaction rating, the worst rating were "neutral" rater than poor ratings also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 89 ✭✭MJI

I always take the batteries out of smoke alarms because upstairs the shower steam sets it off and down stairs the oven and grill stets it off. It's too annoying otherwise.

MJI wrote: »
    I always take the batteries out of smoke alarms because upstairs the shower steam sets it off and down stairs the oven and grill stets it off. It's too annoying otherwise.

pretty sure i have seen smoke alarms out there with a 'silence' button just for nuisances like when they go off when cooking.

I was looking at a Carbon Monoxide alarm yesterday online which claims to have a 7 year battery life and whats more they put in the description it had a non removable 7 year battery , for the very reason that the consumer does not remove battery to put into a remote control or something or just because the alarm is annoying

just because the alarm is annoying

If a carbon monoxide alarm is going off then its not something people should be ignoring or turning off like a smoke alarm when cooking!!

If a carbon monoxide alarm is going off then its not something people should be ignoring or turning off like a smoke alarm when cooking!!

no but they do!

Advertisement