Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying in Cork, living in Dublin

• 04-07-2020 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hey!

I am currently living in Dublin. By mid 2021 I should have the deposit saved for a house in Cork (where I am from) but I am currently living in Dublin and see myself here for the next few years at least.

I was wondering what is the situation with getting a mortgage while renting in a different city. I would be looking to rent out the house while still in Dublin, potentially for corporate lets as it is something my family currently do with a property we have.

I feel prices in Cork will rise substantially over the next few years due to increased population so would be looking to get on the market, whereas Dublin wont have as large increases IMO.

How feasible is it to buy a property in Cork while renting in Dublin?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Poland2020

Hi Donie

I had a similar situation to you.
    While I currently still work in Dublin, we relocated to Cork. The big 2 like BOI and AIB wanted proof we were changing jobs which wasn’t the case for us. They were just making sure we weren’t buying to let etc
    PTSB asked no questions at all.

From my experience, it’s making sure you aren’t buying to let and not the relocation at all.

Sorry for repeating myself

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭DonnieCorko

Poland2020 wrote: »
    Hi Donie

I had a similar situation to you.
    While I currently still work in Dublin, we relocated to Cork. The big 2 like BOI and AIB wanted proof we were changing jobs which wasn’t the case for us. They were just making sure we weren’t buying to let etc
    PTSB asked no questions at all.

From my experience, it’s making sure you aren’t buying to let and not the relocation at all.

Sorry for repeating myself

Thanks Poland! However, I would be looking for buy to let for the moment before living there myself in the future. So, PTSB dont care if you are doing buy to let? or they just didnt ask if you were relocating to your new purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Fraudulently obtaining your mortgage might not be a good way to get on the ladder. If you want a B2L then apply for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

You will need to have a 30% deposit for a buy to let mortgage.

Humour Me wrote: »
    You will need to have a 30% deposit for a buy to let mortgage.

Ah! Didnt realise there was different criteria. I guess its a non runner so! Cheers!

• Advertisement

Actually, regarding the deposit, as there are exemptions granted by the central bank to deposit amounts or the 3.5 times rule, does anyone know if you can get an exemption to the deposit amount on a buy to let?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Poland2020

Ah! Didnt realise there was different criteria. I guess its a non runner so! Cheers!

Sorry Donie,

PTSB didn’t ask questions in relation to relocating but buying to let as the previous post said is different criteria altogether. I should of cleared that up.

Advertisement