Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

North facing?

• 01-07-2020 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

If a house ticked most of your boxes but had a north facing back garden, would that be a deal breaker for you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

Carrie6OD wrote: »
    If a house ticked most of your boxes but had a north facing back garden, would that be a deal breaker for you?

Sorry if this has been brought up before.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭LJ12345

It’s purely personal preference, unless the garden is flanked on both sides you should still get some morning and evening sun. It might be a case of setting up a few spots in the garden to use depending on what time of day it is. The orientation/layout of the house is more important to me as I like to get light into the house and the rooms we use most during the day. We haven’t sat in the garden this year since May.
    Sorry if this has been brought up before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

It would be for me but depends on how much you like your garden. I didn't realise how much it matters until I had a south facing garden. My kitchen is at the back so it's bright. For some people it's not as important.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Generally speaking yeah, as it could mean that you need to sit down quite far in the garden to get sun and this could potentially mean you are more visible to neighbours at all times (if this bothers you... I certainly enjoy being able to go out in my garden to sit in the sun without neighbours being able to see me at all times).

Also the area directly behind the house could be more prone to mould as it doesn't get direct sunlight.

I live with an east-west facing garden.. though a south-facing would be better if I had one!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭manlad

Recently bought a house and our only negative thought going into it was preference for south facing. The garden itself is North West facing and on some of the sunnier days we've had sun until 8pm in the evening in certain sections (its not a big garden). We also like having the sun early morning to mid afternoon.

In summary don't let it deter you, also, its Ireland, we don't get to make the most of it very often so I don't see why you should put too much emphasis on it.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all replies. I can see there are Pros and cons. My parents think it’s a complete deal breaker and I’m not sure it would bother me too much. I’m not a gardener and in actuality garden would be for my kids to kick a ball in but don’t want a dark or cold kitchen. Lots to think about

• Administrators Posts: 53,331 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If the garden gets sun then no, it wouldn't be a deal breaker. North facing doesn't mean it doesn't get sun. It will vary a lot from house to house, some north facing gardens will get sun all day, others will get none. That said, some south facing gardens will get no sun too, it depends on what's around you to block it.

If the garden didn't get sun then yes, it would be a deal breaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

KilOit wrote: »

Sorry I was sure there would be but it didn’t come up in the search

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The way I see it is my family home the rear was north facing so sun light was at the front mostly.

We rarely if ever actually sat out back but obviously as kids played out there.

In my house now south facing rear and we are out a lot and enjoy it as we get the sun more so then the front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, we bought a North facing garden. Was very worried about lack of sun but it gets loads as it's not particularly overlooked and it's large.
    I'm not a fan of full sun and with small kids in like having a patch of shade to sit in!
    However the kitchen is at the back and only gets proper sun streaming in the window in the morning. Otherwise it's very dark so if that bothers you a lot then walk away or see if you could put in a skylight perhaps to brighten it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

Thanks for starting this thread as I'm in the same boat. Currently looking for a house and have two that stand out, one is detached with a north facing garden while the other is semi-detached with a south-west facing garden, can't decide which is the better option :confused::confused:

Thanks for starting this thread as I'm in the same boat. Currently looking for a house and have two that stand out, one is detached with a north facing garden while the other is semi-detached with a south-west facing garden, can't decide which is the better option :confused::confused:

I’m starting to think that unless you build your own house, which isn’t an option where I am, then you’ll have to sacrifice something. Price isn’t even the issue. We are looking to upsize a little bit and the supply of houses in my town just isn’t there

• Administrators Posts: 53,331 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I’m starting to think that unless you build your own house, which isn’t an option where I am, then you’ll have to sacrifice something. Price isn’t even the issue. We are looking to upsize a little bit and the supply of houses in my town just isn’t there

Yes, it's all about trade-offs. Very rare to find an absolutely perfect house.

You just need to prioritise what you want. People tend to prioritise things that can't be fixed later, like location and aspect. Other things, like for example the kitchen not being massive, can usually be fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Thanks for all replies. I can see there are Pros and cons. My parents think it’s a complete deal breaker and I’m not sure it would bother me too much. I’m not a gardener and in actuality garden would be for my kids to kick a ball in but don’t want a dark or cold kitchen. Lots to think about

I've owned 2 properties in my life.

1. Duplex with a south facing terrace ~10sqm, so a small space but bigger than the average balcony. It was such a sun trap and the bricks and paving would really heat up on good days, sometimes it was almost too hot out there, but it was great, definitely felt we'd the best aspect within the development. What also worked for us was that the living room lead to the terrace, so the livnig room also got quite warm at times, even on a bright sunny winter day, sun coming in through the french doors would make the room really warm. Kitchen was at the front of the property so didnt get much natural light, so when I refitted the kitchen I was careful to fit a lot of lights to make sure it would be bright enough. I find if you actually use your kitchen, it won't be cold.

2. Current house, south facing large back garden, leading off the kitchen which is at the back of the house. The living room is to the front of the house. I find the living room is generally cold, unless we've the heating on or a fire lit. The kitchen gets quite warm (again, french doors) and sometimes its warmer than a kitchen should be and I find my fruit bowl can sometimes go off too quickly in good weather, which didnt happen in the last place at all. Long term we'll be doing big work on this house so will be able to address these issues - I'd prefer the living space at the back of the house where the sun hits.

Basically it depends on the overall layout as well as the aspect. It also depends on whats around you. A cooler kitchen isnt a bad thing IMO - once its in use it will get warm - I've fitted double ovens in both properties so if one or both is in use, I find they warm up a cold kitchen anyway.

Advertisement