Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving mid month of rental

Options
  • 10-12-2019 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭

If I give my landlord the required notice today for example I then move on 10th January. Do I have to pay the full months rent for January or can I just pay from the 1st up to the date I move out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Gael23 wrote: »
    If I give my landlord the required notice today for example I then move on 10th January. Do I have to pay the full months rent for January or can I just pay from the 1st up to the date I move out?

No, providing the notice is correct you just Pay up to the day you leave

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

ted1 wrote: »
    No, providing the notice is correct you just Pay up to the day you leave

Correct as in the period as per contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Correct as in the period as per contract?

Correct as in statutory minimum period required based on how long you have been there.

https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/ending-a-tenancy/notice-periods-that-a-landlord-should-give/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Be mindful that you may be paying up front so you will require the LL to issue a refund pro-rata plus deposit assuming all in order.
    Chat to the LL and try agree first so there's no messing when it comes to the date.

kceire wrote: »
    Be mindful that you may be paying up front so you will require the LL to issue a refund pro-rata plus deposit assuming all in order.
    Chat to the LL and try agree first so there's no messing when it comes to the date.

I pay on the 1st of the month so I’d hope to just pay a pro rated month for January.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

How long have you lived there?

Graham wrote: »
    How long have you lived there?

Almost 5 months. I’m renting a room rather than an entire house if that makes a difference

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Almost 5 months. I’m renting a room rather than an entire house if that makes a difference

Then you may be a licensee and can leave with 24 hours notice.

One more question. If anither tenant wishes to move in before the end of my notice period, can I expect the landlord to refund me some of the rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

kceire wrote: »
    Then you may be a licensee and can leave with 24 hours notice.

A lodger may still be committed to paying an agreed amount, or they may be shown the door on the 1st, not very convenient to replace someone in January

• Advertisement

1874 wrote: »
    A lodger may still be committed to paying an agreed amount, or they may be shown the door on the 1st, not very convenient to replace someone in January

Notice periods work both ways. Lodger has to be given appropriate notice too

Notice periods work both ways. Lodger has to be given appropriate notice too

That is actually not correct, a lodger can be asked to leave in 24 hours, 24 minutes or 24 seconds, a reasonable person wouldnt be likely to do so, but if there was enough reason, then yes (and even of there is no reason).
    It really depends on what agreement existed and possibly how payments are made, so you might think its ok, but if you pay monthly, and they arent happy with the notice, they could tell you to sling your hook and there is no comeback, just so you know.

That is actually not correct, a lodger can be asked to leave in 24 hours, 24 minutes or 24 seconds, a reasonable person wouldnt be likely to do so, but if there was enough reason, then yes (and even of there is no reason).
    It really depends on what agreement existed and possibly how payments are made, so you might think its ok, but if you pay monthly, and they arent happy with the notice, they could tell you to sling your hook and there is no comeback, just so you know.

I try to stay away from owner occupied places to be honest. The law in this area says a lodger must be given “reasonable notice”. That is of course open to interpretation but has to be at least a few days I imagine

I try to stay away from owner occupied places to be honest. The law in this area says a lodger must be given “reasonable notice”. That is of course open to interpretation but has to be at least a few days I imagine

I took renting a room to mean in an owner occupied house, as for whats reasonable, it depends.
    It may be more based on whatever agreement payment is made, its probably less likely giving notice now would result in being told to leave tomorrow Id say.

I took renting a room to mean in an owner occupied house, as for whats reasonable, it depends.
    It may be more based on whatever agreement payment is made, its probably less likely giving notice now would result in being told to leave tomorrow Id say.

I am renting a house with 3 others. Each has a separate contract with the landlord but he doesn’t live here.

Advertisement