Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

This a view of the flooding in 1932. Gives an idea of how more than one cottage looked.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

That makes perfect sense Spurious.

I see it's where the park is now opposite Bertie's HQ.

Street view

Old map

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭yaledo

Hi, anyone want to have a crack at the Bride's 'Residence at the Time of Marriage'? I'm pretty sure that her father was Danl Coll

Original page:
    https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1877/11124/8072821.pdf

Marriage Cert image:
    488704.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

A version of Magheroarty, possibly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

Guessing it's the final one that's in question but in order they are Paul Street, Drawbridge Street, North Main Street and Rylane.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Sorry guys! It was the last one.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Good job Vetch! :)

Genealogy Forum Mod

The 6th entry from the top on the right hand page is the marriage of Mark Bridgeman an Elizabeth Bridgeman on Sep 12th.
    I wonder could anyone give me the gist of the Latin notes in the entry which I assume is something to do with them being related?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Hermy wrote: »
    The 6th entry from the top on the right hand page is the marriage of Mark Bridgeman an Elizabeth Bridgeman on Sep 12th.
    I wonder could anyone give me the gist of the Latin notes in the entry which I assume is something to do with them being related?
    Dispensation second grade (so first cousins). Will give full later on PC, on phone at the moment

• Advertisement

That's great - thanks pedro!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Dispensatione ab imp.o [impedimento] dir.e [dirimente?] in secundo gradu consanguinitatis a Revd. Dom.o Dowd[?] Archipiscus obtenata.
    Translates as ‘Dispensation from a direment impediment in second grade of blood by Rev. Lord Dowd Archbishop having been obtained.

There are two types of impediment, prohibitive and diriment. The latter is more serious and requires dispensation from the Archbishop. That it went that high probably also points to the reason why the Banns were dispensed with. I’m unsure of the name – it looks like ‘Dowd’ – a bit of Googling should rectify that.

Dispensatione ab imp.o [impedimento] dir.e [dirimente?] in secundo gradu consanguinitatis a Revd. Dom.o Dowd[?] Archipiscus obtenata.
    Translates as ‘Dispensation from a direment impediment in second grade of blood by Rev. Lord Dowd Archbishop having been obtained.

There are two types of impediment, prohibitive and diriment. The latter is more serious and requires dispensation from the Archbishop. That it went that high probably also points to the reason why the Banns were dispensed with. I’m unsure of the name – it looks like ‘Dowd’ – a bit of Googling should rectify that.

Thanks again pedro.

When you say the latter is more serious what does that mean?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Most religions have laws on impediments to receiving their sacraments. On another thread for e.g. we spoke about illegitimacy being an impediment to the priesthood in the RCC. Henry VIII tried for an annulment from wife no.1 on the grounds that there was an impediment, as she had been married to his brother.

The RCC has a list of impediment for their sacraments which divide them into two categories, prohibitory and diriment. Should an undeclared impediment be in place and a ceremony take place in due form but without express permission(dispensation) of the Catholic Church, the difference is that a diriment impediment renders that ceremony null and void, and a prohibitory impediment only renders it illicit i.e. valid but illegal.

Some, not all, of these impediments can be removed by a cleric who grants a dispensation. The impediments are classified in rank, the position determines who is empowered to grant a dispensation, be it bishop, archbishop or the pope. Close consanguinity i.e. from fourth degree is an impediment, and the degree of consanguinity in the Bridgeman example required the archbishop’s dispensation as they were first cousins. No doubt a nice little fee earner!

Super response pedro - chapeau!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SophieLockhart

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1900/05770/4630946.pdf

William Hurley, no 209. Something? merchant

Thanks.

Edit: it's butter merchant.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634550#page/98/mode/1up

Any ideas on the names of the sponsors of the birth of Anne Connell (sixth from bottom of this page)?

I have Bryan Connell and Eliz McEvoy for the sponsors of her twin Mary

Thanks…

Thomas Hanlon and Annie Flynn?

Possibly Thomas Hanlon and Anne Flynn.

Also, possibly Elin [short for Elinor] rather than Eliz McEvoy.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Whereisgerry?

Can anyone make out what is written on this record for Annie Galloway? I'm wondering if its written in Latin.

• Advertisement

Is the original a baptismal record? It looks like it has been updated with her marriage details.
    She married Thomas Hillard, son of Edward Hilliard and Margaret Kavanagh in ???? Portlaoighis 2nd June 1943.
    The priest was Eugene Kerrigan, the witnesses Maurice Kenny(?) and Catherine Michael?/Mulhall?

It's 'Eccles apud' before Portlaoighis - 'Church at'. I think it's Maurice Kerry.

spurious wrote: »
    Is the original a baptismal record? It looks like it has been updated with her marriage details.
    She married Thomas Hillard, son of Edward Hilliard and Margaret Kavanagh in ???? Portlaoighis 2nd June 1943.
    The priest was Eugene Kerrigan, the witnesses Maurice Kenny(?) and Catherine Michael?/Mulhall?

Yes, the original record is a baptism record. I think that you are correct. Annie's mothers baptism cert was updated with her marriage details too..her mothers marriage record was significantly more legible though! Thanks a million for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Kerry is a huge surname in Portlaoise if that's any help.

[PHP][/PHP]
    Kerry is a huge surname in Portlaoise if that's any help.

Thanks for this! I think that its Kenny as Annie had Kenny cousins. In saying that, I don't know of any Maurice Kenny's so you could be right. Thanks for you help again.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Hi,

This is a marriage record dated 11 Feb 1821 between Kerley & McGrath. I know that their names are John & Jane. There appears to be a dispensation that looks like 3rd & 4th. What do the other words mean. Click here

Right side towards end of page.

montgo wrote: »
    Hi,

This is a marriage record dated 11 Feb 1821 between Kerley & McGrath. I know that their names are John & Jane. There appears to be a dispensation that looks like 3rd & 4th. What do the other words mean. Click here

Right side towards end of page.

It looks like 'Obtenta in 3tio & 4to affinitatis gradibus nec non & in bans dispd'. So I'm guessing it's a dispensation for 3rd and 4th degrees of affinity and for banns.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Meursault

Hi All,

I am looking to decipher the maiden name of the mother in this birth register. Any takers? Looks like Sewell, or Jewell maybe?

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1864/03622/2337032.pdf

See female "Unknown" Talbot - entry number 8 on the file for birth registers in Mallow, January 1864. Father's name is Nicholas Talbot.

Any advice would be great, thanks.

Also, would anyone hazard a guess at the occupation of the informant? Thanks

Informant looks to be the father who is a teacher.

I'm reading his name as Richard - not Nicholas.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Richard Talbot and Jane Sewell, I'd say.

Advertisement