Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will registers

• 02-09-2019 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭

Can anyone advise me what the 'event year' is for the wills in the Wills Registers on the National Archives website please? I tried contacting them last week but didn't get a response. There's also a death year and grant year listed, which are self evident. But the event year is what I'm wondering about. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

You might find the answer by looking at the linked image and seeing what the event year corresponds to.
    I'd guess it's the year the will was written.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

Hermy wrote: »
    You might find the answer by looking at the linked image and seeing what the event year corresponds to.
    I'd guess it's the year the will was written.

Thanks but I have tried that and the year varies for the documents I'm checking. Some might be the will year but for others it corresponds with death date. For others it doesn't. Puzzling.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Did you leave a message or send an email?

They can be a little slow to respond but generally do. I left a voicemail last week, was called back 2 days later and then they followed up today.

I was right about the Monalahy and Newcastle 1901 records being missed out of the digital census.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Thanks but I have tried that and the year varies for the documents I'm checking. Some might be the will year but for others it corresponds with death date. For others it doesn't. Puzzling.

That could be down to the whim off the transcriber.

In which case I would ignore the transcription and focus on the contents of the image.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

Hermy wrote: »
    That could be down to the whim off the transcriber.

In which case I would ignore the transcription and focus on the contents of the image.

Yes, I know it could be down to the transcriber. I'm continually correcting transcriptions. I'll ring them again. Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement