Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Renting a room...Ripped off?

Options
  • 07-09-2020 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi

I rented a room in a 5 bedroom house a few months ago.
    Its literally my first time being away from home.
    I'm a very anxious person in general & i just wanted to share my thoughts & get your opinions please.

Well there was no contract or anything at all signs when i moved in. I was told bills are divided equally.
    To be honest i havent settled in & am still spending a lot of time at home. Rent & bills seem very expensive!
    There's 4 of us living there & as one works from home is the only one there full time. I'm not there a lot & the other two guys are in evenings. They go home every weekend.

So in my opinion bills are very bizzare. I'm beating myself up at the moment cause I've handed over cash towards rent & bills but have NEVER actually seen a bill with my own eyes.
    The other housemates seem to be able to afford any amount & dont care but I'm left dreading the bills text!

I've asked her 4 times now to see one/any of the bills & am always brushed off!

I cant really go into much details....I'll just say there was a few things not working correctly & the Landlady was told but she never fixed or even attempted to have someone look etc.

I just think we're paying her own bills on top of ours at this point. I mean if theres nothing to hide, why not show me a bill?

I think she's taking the p**s but no one else will kinda back me up. Is there anything i can do? Other than refuse to pay until i see a bill to see how its 'divided equally'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Hi

I'm a very anxious person in general & i just wanted to share my thoughts & get your opinions please.

Well there was no contract or anything at all signs when i moved in. I was told bills are divided equally.
    To be honest i havent settled in & am still spending a lot of time at home. Rent & bills seem very expensive!
    There's 4 of us living there & as one works from home is the only one there full time. I'm not there a lot & the other two guys are in evenings. They go home every weekend.

So in my opinion bills are very bizzare. I'm beating myself up at the moment cause I've handed over cash towards rent & bills but have NEVER actually seen a bill with my own eyes.
    The other housemates seem to be able to afford any amount & dont care but I'm left dreading the bills text!

I cant really go into much details....I'll just say there was a few things not working correctly & the Landlady was told but she never fixed or even attempted to have someone look etc.

I just think we're paying her own bills on top of ours at this point. I mean if theres nothing to hide, why not show me a bill?

I think she's taking the p**s but no one else will kinda back me up. Is there anything i can do? Other than refuse to pay until i see a bill to see how its 'divided equally'

How much are you being charged for each bill?
    We that have been paying them for years will be able to give you a good idea if they are fair or not

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Hi

Say you need a copy of the bill for work, as you are getting an allowence

refuse to pay until you get a copy.

Stand your ground

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Just refuse to pay until you see the bill.

As for the landlord fixing things, you just need to keep chasing the landlord to fix the things every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What sort of numbers are we talking?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

If she also lives in the house, there is very little you can do. You're a licencee and it's her way or the highway.

• Advertisement

If she also lives in the house, there is very little you can do. You're a licencee and it's her way or the highway.

Whereas if this is just a fellow tenant who has taken up the role of liaising with the landlord regarding paying the rent, that doesn't arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

you feel the rent and bills combo is a bit high. you dont trust that the bills are being spilt evenly. How likely do you judge it is the landlady will change her ways? I would say not too likely at all.

But you are not tied down to a lease, so the easiest thing here would be to find somewhere you feel more comfortable , then had the required notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Say you need a copy of the bill for work, as you are getting an allowence

refuse to pay until you get a copy.

Stand your ground

The OP appears to be a licencee, they have no ground to stand on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

When I lived in shared accommodation the bills was printed stuck up on a notice board and marked of who paid what. Be confident with these dopes don’t pay nothing until you see what you are paying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

The person working from home is obviously racking up most of the bills so should pay a larger contribution.

Big difference with all appliances, lighting etc going all day than only on for 6/7 hours in the evening.

With winter coming what's to stop them having the heating on all day and the OP having to contribute when they are getting no benefit.

• Advertisement

The person working from home is obviously racking up most of the bills so should pay a larger contribution.

Big difference with all appliances, lighting etc going all day than only on for 6/7 hours in the evening.

With winter coming what's to stop them having the heating on all day and the OP having to contribute when they are getting no benefit.

It depends I wouldn’t accuse them of racking up the bills, there is two of us in my house working at home since March and our electricity bill has been 40 or so every month. Ok yes you will use more but you aren’t going to be use a ton of energy.

That's another debate really. This poster still has no idea what the overall is and what proportion they are paying. That's not right.

But, as has been pointed out correctly, if this is a room rented in a house occupied by the owner, there is no tenancy and you can be turfed out without cause on very little notice (a month in most cases), so it would be wise to tread carefully before falling out with the owner if that's the situation.

Even it the person collecting the money is another tenant, you don't want to pick a fight unnecessarily with the people with whom you live.

It would help the poster, who appears not to know what might be "reasonable" in general, if they replied with details of what they are currently paying out. People would be able to give them a steer on the question of whether these are objectively too high.

stevek93 wrote: »
    It depends I wouldn’t accuse them of racking up the bills, there is two of us in my house working at home since March and our electricity bill has been 40 or so every month. Ok yes you will use more but you aren’t going to be use a ton of energy.

It's not how large the bill is. It's about everyone paying their fair share.

If one person is using electricity/heating for 16 hours a day and another 5 hours how is it fair that they pay the same.

If we get a cold winter you may have to have the heating on all day.

It's not how large the bill is. It's about everyone paying their fair share.

If one person is using electricity/heating for 16 hours a day and another 5 hours how is it fair that they pay the same.

If we get a cold winter you may have to have the heating on all day.

No it’s not fair, but I am just advising the OP to be careful and not to ask to much I am not to sure how you would fairly divide out the bill it’s very tricky to do so as everyone’s usage is different.

When I was in shared accommodation there was a married couple who used to treat everyday like it was the last supper, constantly cooking the electric oven was on for hours on end. When they went on holidays for 1 month the electric bill decreased by 50%. Why we never said anything I don’t know we just didn’t want the hassle of arguing I suppose but they clearly took the p*ss.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

That's just life in a house share.

Some people will be in the house more, some less.

Any house share I've been in, bills are split equally, and of story.

bluelamp wrote: »
    That's just life in a house share.

Some people will be in the house more, some less.

Any house share I've been in, bills are split equally, and of story.

Yes, I have been in a few and all bills are split equally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

stevek93 wrote: »
    No it’s not fair, but I am just advising the OP to be careful and not to ask to much I am not to sure how you would fairly divide out the bill it’s very tricky to do so as everyone’s usage is different.

When I was in shared accommodation there was a married couple who used to treat everyday like it was the last supper, constantly cooking the electric oven was on for hours on end. When they went on holidays for 1 month the electric bill decreased by 50%. Why we never said anything I don’t know we just didn’t want the hassle of arguing I suppose but they clearly took the p*ss.

Cooking dinner, every single day? :eek:

It's a disgrace, Joe

It's a disgrace, Joe

The neck on them .

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Desperately lonely

Sorry i haven't given enough details. Landlady is not living with in the house.
    The person who works from home has told me he's asked to see the bills on numerous occasions & is always brushed off too.
    I learnt yesterday from that person that i am charged more for internet & bin than he is. So i feel i need to walk away.....we're all using the same bin & internet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Ah, the good old "head" tenant is having his/her bills subsidised by you OP. Are these regular fixed amounts that you have previously agreed to? I wouldn't be paying another penny until I saw a bill tbh.

• Advertisement

It's a disgrace, Joe

No it wasn’t cooking a dinner everyday it was gluttony these people were very overweight. What they ate in one day would do me for a week. If you want to constantly stuff your face every hour of the day don’t make it someone else’s problem.

theteal wrote: »
    Ah, the good old "head" tenant is having his/her bills subsidised by you OP. Are these regular fixed amounts that you have previously agreed to? I wouldn't be paying another penny until I saw a bill tbh.

Aghh, you are bring back memories of old head tenants I shared with who treated it like it was their place alone, their rules etc.

No input from the "guest tenants" They were very friendly with the landlord and would drive me nuts as he would let himself in and make tea etc. and hang around.

Never felt like it was my home, always felt like a guest in their house.

Moved and the next share felt immediately like home. In fairness to them all bills were fair and transparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

The person who works from home has told me he's asked to see the bills on numerous occasions & is always brushed off too.
    I learnt yesterday from that person that i am charged more for internet & bin than he is. So i feel i need to walk away.....we're all using the same bin & internet

So has anyone in the house seen a bill? If not then stop paying them immediately until the LL provides them as others have suggested.

Have the others signed a lease at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

OP, time to ask for a bill and see if they've been split equally. Raise the point now with the information you've heard from the other roommate, you want to see the bills and will not pay the next till then. Id be asking for all bills while you've been in the house. In the mean time start looking elsewhere

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Any house I shared the bills were stuck on the fridge with a clear breakdown of who owed what and a tick put against your name when you paid. Only way it should be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I’d reply to the next text that when I saw a breakdown, then I’d pay. Try and get the other tenant onside as well. They won’t be long producing the bill once they know nobody is paying until they do.

Although they might be happy to let you go, strictly speaking you need to check your lease regarding any notice you are required to give and the circumstances in which you can terminate. If the lease is for a fixed term there can be issued regarding early termination.

Your legal relationship is with the landlord not this other tenant so it might be beneficial to talk to the landlord first and tell them why you are unhappy.

That said, based on other things you've said (landlady not attending to repairs or whatnot) it could well be that there is a cosy relationship between the landlord and this other tenant, who has organised it so that they have control of the bills. Or simply that the landlord is one of those who just wants a quiet life (achieved by ignoring telephone calls and emails and having/lettiing one tenant keep the show on the road for them on site). Either way, if this is the situation any fuss you make will lead to them wanting to kick you out anyway.

Find out how easy it would be to secure comparable accommodation that meets your social/personal/professional needs in a more pleasant environment before you do anything drastic.

Also, how much are you actually being asked to pay and for what? You should assess what the cost of alternative comparable accommodation would be in the context of your overall spend. No point moving somewhere similar to pay more, even if the contributions are more equitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

[quote="ecoli3136;114552169"

Your legal relationship is with the landlord not this other tenant so it might be beneficial to talk to the landlord first and tell them why you are unhappy.

[/quote]

The OP said they have no contract so they could be licenees of the tenant, it all depends on who they pay the rent to. I wouldn't be rushing to the landlord before finding out what their status is

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Whose name are the bills in, the landlord or another tenant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Make sure you stand your ground until you see the previous bills too. Someones up to no good!

Advertisement