Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to buy a kite in Dublin?

• 21-12-2004 5:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭

hiya..
    Just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction.. I'm looking for a kite.. for a beginner.. adult.. ok ok it's a Christmas present for my boyfriend!!
    I can't buy online.. don't have credit card and it's too late to do that now anyway..
    Does anyone know where I could look in the city centre?
    Or do you think it's a bad idea and forget about it?!

didn't know where to post the thread.. so if you wanna move it do!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

..bump

anyone please!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

what sorta kite? stunt kite or power kite?
    if it's power try surfdock or wind and wave. if it's stunt try skate city in temple bar, or some of the hobby shops - eg one in Jervis may have one. Also urban outfitters in temple bar have some.
    hope this helps.
    Ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 funkyniff

Go To The Craft Shop On The Top Floor In Jervis Centre ,they Have A Few Bought One This Year Cost €18 But Its Funky It's A Big Fish But They Have The Square Once And Little Ones For Kids And Stuff.....good Luck

what sorta kite? stunt kite or power kite?
    if it's power try surfdock or wind and wave. if it's stunt try skate city in temple bar, or some of the hobby shops - eg one in Jervis may have one. Also urban outfitters in temple bar have some.
    hope this helps.
    Ken
    Hey.. am see I'm not really sure.. it's beginner really.. so the power one.. probably.. start with basics and move onto the stunts then!! oh and btw.. where are surfdock and wind and wave? Don't know Dublin very well!!

Cork_girl wrote:
    Hey.. am see I'm not really sure.. it's beginner really.. so the power one.. probably.. start with basics and move onto the stunts then!! oh and btw.. where are surfdock and wind and wave? Don't know Dublin very well!!
    Oh no babe you got it soooo wrong there. power ones are the advanced ones, stunt little harmless ones! Power kites will lift you off the ground and let you fly. kitesurfing and kite buggying use them! They're like little parachutes. Surfdock is down in ringsend and windandwave is in monkstown
    www.surfdock.ie and www.windandwave.ie (i think - maybe com) are your websites. I know the lads in SD very well, and would recommend them ahead of W&W, at least from a windsurfing point of view.
    If he's a beginner get a stunt kite so - and as big a one as you can find, cos they tend to fly slower and are less "twitchy" than small ones. Defo get a 2 line one though, not just a one line "kiddy" kite. Advantage of a stunt kite is that you can fly it pretty much anywhere - a power kite needs a load of space eg a beach/football field....
    The other option is a power kite trainer eg "slingshot"- give surfdock a buzz about that - i think they're around 200 euro though... not sure how much you wanna spend.
    Oh and you're gonna have to play with the kite too, generally needs someone to launch it as well!

• Advertisement

Thank you so much Kenmc!! I wasn't able to get out to those places.. so he got a boring Christmas pressie.. but ... his birthday is first week of Jan so he'll hopefully get a half decent one for that!!!

Oh yeah.. he lives near the beach so I had kind of thought that would be where he would be using it.. does it make a difference re. wind etc?

hi Cork girl sorry for no reply - was on holidays.
    wind direction doesn't make any difference for stunt kites. for power kites don't fly in an offshore wind. most of the time in Ire;and the wind will be on shore or cross shore so it's not too big a deal...
    K

• Registered Users Posts: 42 peteretep

i reckon you should get him something like a flexifoil power kite, they come in three sizes, 6, 8 and 10, the bigger being more powerfull. theyre a good intro to kites and you can do relatively little damage with them. and you can stick many of them together to make it more powerful and interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Skank

ehh if your still after one my mate has loads all new send me a pm and il send you his number on if ya want and he suplys surf sock and wind and wave ....so yal be gettin it cheeper ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gregoryvoy

Hi what kind of kite ? Check at <mod snip> there are power and foil kites . If You're looking for a stunt kite there is <mod snip> shop in city center

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

gregoryvoy wrote: »
    Hi what kind of kite ? Check at <mod snip> there are power and foil kites . If You're looking for a stunt kite there is <snip> shop in city center

MOD: After 12 years, I doubt the OP is still worried about his kite options!

Please do not drag up old threads like this - it looks like you're promoting the website you quoted. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt on this though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement