Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Would you buy a house near a halting site?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

Not a hope. I rented near one a few years ago. There are new houses being built near it now. Council houses at that. The travellers from the halting site have burnt out the houses that are being built. They’ve had their horses seized and caused a 2 day riot. Their kids are feral too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I wouldn't, I'd find it very intimidating even if they largely kept themselves to themselves.

One of the newer estates in Maynooth, Carton Wood I think, when it was being advertised with a stylised map they stuck the logo over the halting site across the road from the estate. Very unfair thing to do although it does appear to be fairly quiet and it's not immediately obvious when driving by.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Nope. It's enough to see when passing by one of their sites. No regard for their own environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Thread doesn't need a poll

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Tbh it wouldn't bother me. Lived about 200 yards from one in UK and had 2 lots of travellers living 6 and 8 doors up from me.

No one came near the estate. Honestly I think if anyone tried they would have got a hiding. The travellers knew they would get blamed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Question is a bit vague..

Firstly how near are we taking about? Directly opposite or half a mile away?

Also is it an illegal site with burned out cars, sulky racing or a well kept group of chalets.

Are you considering it or is it a hypothetical? If the latter why care? If the former then go with your gut.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,183 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Question is kind of hard to answer.
    It would depend on how near!
    Take for instance in most regional towns in my experience you are only a few minutes away from one really.
    Also, what do you consider a halting site. A traditional one with lots of Caravans or where travellers are housed sometimes very closely together.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Anjunadeep

If by near you mean like 10 miles away, I would consider it assuming of course the house was given to me for free and surrounded by a moat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭FrankPoll.

Anjunadeep wrote: »
    If by near you mean like 10 miles away, I would consider it assuming of course the house was given to me for free and surrounded by a moat

I'm sure they'd tolerate you living closer

You can't be that bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Anjunadeep wrote: »

Why are they afraid of water?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 pol12

Travellers used to work for farmers and make items out of tin for sale, hence the term "tinker", which wasn't a pejorative term originally. Back in the day and were a respected part of rural Ireland. Then the dole came in and they went from being valued to valueless with nothing to. Do except sit round, drink, make babies and get up to no good.

Some sort of education or work for long term welfare would be a much better alternative for travellers, or indeed all long term unemployed. Coupled with actual law enforcement.

We also need to give decent travellers a chance at employment and being full members of society.

If everyone followed the traveller principles it would make our life's easier.
    Most of the population in Ireland are originally from a farming background, maybe some would have to go back a few generations but that's where our culture mostly lies. So farming doesn't support multiple people but let's all sit around the farm all day and get the government to pay for our culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

JizzBeans wrote: »
    I frequently hear that estate agents find it difficult to sell houses close to halting site, within a 1-2km that is. Re sale value is non virtually existent. If something better comes along after say five years, one should expect to loose money I suppose
    I call bull**** on that. Probe Square houses are selling for close to a million. St Louises Park Blackrock is about 400m from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭REFLINE1

hasnt stopped new estates in carrickmines and rathfarnham selling recently

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭MichaelR

I live across a hurling field from an estate that has many settled Traveller families.

Their reputation is very much not great but so far (4 years) we only had a few problems with the kids, even those seem to have stopped. (Worst was a money theft but we let the kid in; also a small kids bike was stolen, it was unlocked at the front of the house, and the reason we treated it so carelessly is that it was not worth much anymore). There was some unpleasant stuff about their kids and mine, nothing huge and now they just seem to ignore each other. (Caveat: my kids don't go to the local school, for reasons unrelated, as they were already settled in a school before we moved here. I hear bad rumours about some behaviour in the local school).

Never had any grief from the adults so far, and we're even immigrants (though white). I hear one of them might have a gun, but as it was never pulled in my presence, I would not know.

Then again I have not seen any fancy new cars etc around their estate, so maybe they're just not "that kind". There were horses on a grass field all right. Lovely horses, I really enjoyed the sight. The people also used to ride around in carts and sulkies, but seemed, as far as I could see, to treat the horses fairly. The horses disappeared one day, then a few months later a building site came up - so I guess they were tipped off about the building plans.

I do know some others do not treat horses well. I saw a group of kids in Limerick City ride a pony cart on the road and they were harsh to the pony and made it gallop. Poor pony, and they were risking their own lives too with a semi-uncontrollable cart on the road with cars, not to mention breaking the law (you have to be 16 to control a horse on the road unaccompanied).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I grew up (ten plus years) near a site, maybe 300 yards away. Backed onto a field that their site (mobiles and chalets) was in the corner of. No crime or antisocial behaviour to speak of, and any that there was could not be unequivocally attributed to the Travellers rather than one of the estates nearby. South county Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I suppose its like anything else, would you buy next to a dodgy estate, or would you buy a house next to dodgy neighbours? In an estate or stand alone / rural?
    I know of people who really don't get on with their neighbouring farmers...
    If there's a halting site next to where you're looking to buy, and you barely notice it, then it's probably not causing a problem...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 28,364 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I've lived less than a kilometre by road from a small halting site in south Dublin, less than 500m as the crow flies, for more than twenty years. I'd regularly pass within 100m of the site entrance. I've noticed one incident of mild anti-social behaviour by teenagers who appeared to be travellers in that time. I've heard some of the neighbours to the site had issues with littering. It doesn't seem to have any effect of the boomy house/apartment prices in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

2km from one minimum. It or a council estate nearby would be the biggest things to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

2km from one minimum. It or a council estate nearby would be the biggest things to avoid.
    I see you are never buying a house in Dublin City then ...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

yeah, wouldnt be for me, a nice one off in an acre or 3 and nowhere near any of those types.

• Advertisement

Yeah, funnily enough, there is a small Council development, maybe 15 houses between me and the halting site - no issues from that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Preferably, no. And heck, if the travellers take a liking to your land, they'll camp on your land. Not much you can say about it if you don't want your house burnt to the ground.

the_syco wrote: »
    Preferably, no. And heck, if the travellers take a liking to your land, they'll camp on your land. Not much you can say about it if you don't want your house burnt to the ground.

Does that happen much - that travellers burn down people's houses after taking over their land?

Advertisement