Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boiler repairs

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Rosedust84

Thank you all so much for all of the help, I will be calling Threshold today, I am not sure if I will contact the council yet, I am a bit nervous this might affect my tenancy?

What is an acceptable way to send this in writing to him, is a registered post usually the way to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Rosedust84 wrote: »
    Thank you all so much for all of the help, I will be calling Threshold today, I am not sure if I will contact the council yet, I am a bit nervous this might affect my tenancy?

What is an acceptable way to send this in writing to him, is a registered post usually the way to go?
    From what people are saying contacting the council may not be the best for you, (because of the hap scheme Ect),
    But going to the rtb seems a very good idea,
    And you hold all the cards to be fair.. As in the legislation is on your side, and you're paying him,
    Good luck with it...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

So my mil sent her friends son, who is a plumber, to look at it this morning. I headed out and he worked at it, came home to a bill of €200 on the table. Lots of parts needed replacing, the clock was broken (it was when we moved in). Went to my landlord again and he told me where to go, I can ring PTTB all I want, if he had to pay these things for all his houses he would go out of business. I am raging because my grocery money has to go on this. Anyway, he told me if I don't like it to leave.

I am keeping an eye out for a place but I know I won't get my deposit returned, plus hap pay in arrears and he wanted in advance so I will be out x2. I will have to save money to move.

I would have rathered not deal with the plumber until I sent my landlord a letter, but he arrived and I said if I turn him away my mil would have issues for wasting his time..I bring problems on myself :eyeroll:

There is a hole in the top of the tank, apparently the plumber told my landlord rainwater getting in caused the problem. So landlord says it's my fault for not noticing the hole, I asked about repairing it and that's also my bill, he thinks someone must have cut a hole in it to steal oil

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

What a scummy low life landlord.
    The boiler is fully his responsibility unless otherwise agreed, as are the appliances.
    How have you been communicating with the landlord by text, email or just phone calls?
    From now on try to communicate only by email or by text because you may need it as proof of what he has said to you that he will not fix anything.
    You must speak with threshold. They will advise you and most likely will help you through the process of legally dealing with the landlord and represent you if it needs to go to RTB.
    They know Your rights.
    Oh.. and one more thing..
    Stop listening to your mother in law. Stand up for your rights and rock that boat!

• Advertisement

There is a hole in the top of the tank, apparently the plumber told my landlord rainwater getting in caused the problem. So landlord says it's my fault for not noticing the hole, I asked about repairing it and that's also my bill, he thinks someone must have cut a hole in it to steal oil

He said it was your fault for not noticing the hole? What a scummy low life landlord.

The boiler, including the tank and all other parts of the heating system are fully his responsibility, as are all the appliances.
    How have you been communicating with the landlord by text, email or just phone calls?
    From now on try to communicate only by email or by text because you may need it as proof of what he has said to you that he will not fix anything.
    You must speak with threshold. They will advise you and most likely will help you through the process of legally dealing with the landlord and represent you if it needs to go to RTB.
    They know Your rights.
    Oh.. and one more thing..
    Stop listening to your mother in law. Stand up for your rights and rock that boat!

He doesn't do email unfortunately, threshold advised me to send him a registered letter. He is going mad though It will add fuel to the fire. Despite having my M.I.L I live alone with my children, I'm very nervous about confrontion on my door, though it's that or be a doormat I suppose

He doesn't do email unfortunately, threshold advised me to send him a registered letter. He is going mad though It will add fuel to the fire. Despite having my M.I.L I live alone with my children, I'm very nervous about confrontion on my door, though it's that or be a doormat I suppose

He can go mad all he wants, he sounds like a horrible nasty person, but the law is on your side.
    If he does come knocking on your door make sure to switch your phone onto voice recorder or video recording before you answer the door.
    You don't have to hold it in a way that makes him aware of you recording, but do it in order to have proof if he starts to get nasty at the door.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Raise a case immediately with the RTB. He was supposed to pay for this and instead you paid.

I don't mean to be harsh but you can't complain about this, do nothing and expect it to change.

Good luck with it

No that is fair, there's no point complaining and not trying to get a change, I have opened a prtb dispute online and paid the fee etc, I suppose i will just wait and see what happens

• Advertisement

No that is fair, there's no point complaining and not trying to get a change, I have opened a prtb dispute online and paid the fee etc, I suppose i will just wait and see what happens

Great to hear, good luck with it. This guy is a complete bully and it's about time someone stood up to him

Thank you fingers crossed some good comes out of it! The neighbours have complained about him too but just say nothing, well I was the same until this point, but things like this always come to a head

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Went to my landlord again and he told me where to go, I can ring PTTB all I want, if he had to pay these things for all his houses he would go out of business.

It would probably be better for everyone in the long term if he *did* go "out of business" and sold up. Not the short term for you though.

RTB complaint immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭sk8board

Hi, I'm a HAP landlord - was there no house inspection after you moved in?

I concur with everyone else - it is absolutely the landlords responsibility to pay for all those repairs - it’s all pretty standard stuff, which goes wrong all the time really. I’ve had plenty tenants who get the repairs done themselves, but I would absolutely expect to get the receipt to reimburse them.

I’m more surprised this landlord qualified for HAP in the first place - you need to have a really clean nose in terms of tax, RTB registration, banking and house condition. He sounds like a genuinely distasteful person.
    The HAP inspection is actually overly thorough I would argue, so your place sounds like it wasn’t inspected at all?

sk8board wrote: »
    Hi, I'm a HAP landlord - was there no house inspection after you moved in?

I concur with everyone else - it is absolutely the landlords responsibility to pay for all those repairs - it’s all pretty standard stuff, which goes wrong all the time really. I’ve had plenty tenants who get the repairs done themselves, but I would absolutely expect to get the receipt to reimburse them.

I’m more surprised this landlord qualified for HAP in the first place - you need to have a really clean nose in terms of tax, RTB registration, banking and house condition. He sounds like a genuinely distasteful person.
    The HAP inspection is actually overly thorough I would argue, so your place sounds like it wasn’t inspected at all?

I was paying rent for the last couple of years but only went on Hap in June, I had an inspector out and he checked for smoke alarms, fire blanket, that kind of thing, the appliances didn't come up as to who owned them, he just ticked a box to say they were there.

My LL is registered with the prtb, well he asked for my PPSN, he would only ever accept cash though before the HAp was granted, but I'm sure it has to be all through the books now. Maybe I just had a laxadaisy inspector lol, I mean the gutter is falling off the side of the house. The neighbours have said to him about the general appearance of the estate and were told they could do it themselves if they were that unhappy. Houses are hard to come by around here it seems, there is only one house on Daft in this area and it's very overpriced, he allows pets also so I suppose these things work in his favour

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

How long have you been in the house?
    Basically if he loses at The ptrb (which from what you've said, he definitely will), you get your money (for the boiler repair and service) back, (mightnt be all in one go though),
    And if you've a long term lease there's not much he can do, now obviously you don't want the agro....if you're going down the ptrb line, include the lack of appliances, I assume he's not responsible for fixing your appliances... But he is responsible for supplying them in the first place (although he'll probably claim that you agreed / offered to use your own appliances when you first moved in,) talk to threshold to get best advice onhow to word your claim,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

I'm here a year and a half, I had a 1 year lease but that expired in March.
    If he fails to show up or refuses to pay what happens then?

I'm here a year and a half, I had a 1 year lease but that expired in March.
    If he fails to show up or refuses to pay what happens then?

If he doesn't show up at the RTB and submits nothing, I presume they rule in your favour. He can appeal the ruling but if he doesn't, then it's a legally binding and can be enforced. There's some more details here:

https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/dispute-resolution/request-to-the-rtb-to-issue-enforcement-on-a-partys-behalf/how-does-the-rtb-decide-on-a-request-to-enforce-determination-orders/

If you contact Threshold, they'd be able to tell you for certain what the lie of the land is if he just ignores it

Thank you, I am hoping that things don't take a long time :)
    The new one is, landlord is fuming about the hole and wants me to buy a new oil tank, I wonder what he would say if I moved out and brought the tank,not really possible but..
    Also, because the clock has been changed I no long have access to immersion, the only way for hot water is heating on or open fire, the list just keeps growing :/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

The new one is, landlord is fuming about the hole and wants me to buy a new oil tank, I wonder what he would say if I moved out and brought the tank,not really possible but..
    Also, because the clock has been changed I no long have access to immersion, the only way for hot water is heating on or open fire, the list just keeps growing :/

Your landlord sounds like he lives in a fantasy land with regards to his responsibilities.

• Advertisement

Jesus wept!
    What kind of chancer is this moron.
    Make sure to tell threshold about that. Hopefully he is in for a serious wake up call.

I literally just think he believes he is renting out this concrete structure and the rest is down to us. Which was beneficial in the beginning because we could paint, hang pictures, have pets, I moved from owning to renting so had all this furniture I didn't want to try and sell, so having an empty shell with these benefits were really great to be fair. He has been nice enough to deal with only when problems arise the fun starts. I moved out of Dublin to the country and still really miss home but have grown to love it here, so this is a shame really. I could be paying the same rent in another home without (hopefully!) problems..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I literally just think he believes he is renting out this concrete structure and the rest is down to us. Which was beneficial in the beginning because we could paint, hang pictures, have pets, I moved from owning to renting so had all this furniture I didn't want to try and sell, so having an empty shell with these benefits were really great to be fair. He has been nice enough to deal with only when problems arise the fun starts. I moved out of Dublin to the country and still really miss home but have grown to love it here, so this is a shame really. I could be paying the same rent in another home without (hopefully!) problems..

If you have the ability to move into another place in the area without putting yourself at a financial loss then you should just do this.

If you have the ability to move into another place in the area without putting yourself at a financial loss then you should just do this.

Unless I was able to get a loan it would be very difficult for me, I won't get my deposit back or month in advance, daft has only one place for rent in this area so I would have to move out of town, I could but not ideal.
    Any ideas on how long prtb take roughly? My fridge is totally broken, I got my groceries the other day and found everything yesterday totally ruined

I phoned Threshold and initially she said to phone the council but I explained about the HAP, she agreed the same as has been said that it could put my payment at risk. She asked if that happened would it push him to rectify the problems, but it wouldn't, he will just throw us out. My MIL will loan me some money and I will have to buy a fridge I can't do without while I wait for the RtB, Im down a tonne this week between the plumber and lost food

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I phoned Threshold and initially she said to phone the council but I explained about the HAP, she agreed the same as has been said that it could put my payment at risk. She asked if that happened would it push him to rectify the problems, but it wouldn't, he will just throw us out. My MIL will loan me some money and I will have to buy a fridge I can't do without while I wait for the RtB, Im down a tonne this week between the plumber and lost food

So sorry this is as bad as ever. Good that you are getting official support

Advertisement