Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sick of being fat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

We must also remember that we're not necessarily talking about ridiculous-level cheat days where you're eating garbage from morning until night in mad quantities. Just your usual day, but with more allowances (eg a takeaway rather than a normal dinner, plus a whack of pints thrown in the mix - whatever it is you indulge yourself in once a week).

The odds are the OP would've been doing this at least once a week anyway - we're not suddenly adding magical calories that didn't already exist in his weekly diet, so ultimately the actual net reduction is still significantly geared towards weight loss.

The aim is to keep it cleaner and under-maintenance 6 days a week. The 7th day can be the way it always used to be - be that pints, takeaway, both, whatever.

The end result is still a massive reduction in calorie consumption over the week, no matter what way you look at it, which equals weight loss. We're not suddenly adding calorie excesses that didn't already exist in his diet on that day, but we are taking away significant calories the other days

It depends on the OP's weekly intake in relation to maintenance. If maintenance is 2500 and they have 2200 for 6 days, 4300 on the 7th day means they break even. It doesnt really matter of they averaged 4000 a day before that - you'd be in a surplus and dropping to maintenance. That doesnt mean you lose weight, just that you stopped putting on weight. You might drop something initially, mostly water, but TDEE is TDEE at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Very similar to a lot here. 32 finished with football and 3 young kids at home.

Last September weighed at over 16 stone for the first time ever. Gave me a kick to exercise and eat better (I hate the idea of dieting but tried to make sustainable choices). I went down to 14 st 4lb by Christmas. I then fell off the wagon and between Christmas and Easter consumed my body weight in chocolate.

About 3 weeks ago decided to get my was back in gear. Weighed in at 15st 10lb. So again back to the healthier (omelette rather than a ciabatta for lunch type of stuff) choices, joined gym and going twice a week and then playing golf once a week.
    Down to 15stone this week but happy to just tip along slowly and sustainably, id be happy to lose a pound a week for the next so many weeks to be honest with just better choices rather than crash diets

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

What's the story with the myfitnesspal app, where do they get their information? Is it done by users? It's very good as its had everything I searched for including the kerrigans fakeaways. Had the correct calories but didn't register the 5 or 6 grams of sodium listed on the packaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

iamtony wrote: »
    What's the story with the myfitnesspal app, where do they get their information? Is it done by users? It's very good as its had everything I searched for including the kerrigans fakeaways. Had the correct calories but didn't register the 5 or 6 grams of sodium listed on the packaging.

The automatic goals they set for you are set by top researchers who know what they are talking about, so there is a proven scientific background behind it. I haven't used it in a year but previously foods with a white tick in a blue star/circle thing were verified by MyFitnessPal, food without the tick were entered by users.

GarIT wrote: »
    The automatic goals they set for you are set by top researchers who know what they are talking about, so there is a proven scientific background behind it. I haven't used it in a year but previously foods with a white tick in a blue star/circle thing were verified by MyFitnessPal, food without the tick were entered by users.
    ah OK. I was wondering what the blue thing was that's good to know thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

This is still completely wrong, though
    No it isn't. He said maintenance of 2500 cals, so it was completely correct.
    What you're forgetting, is that 2,500 calories a day is not enough to maintain a man who is several stone overweight to begin with.

The key is that to maintain 16stone or whatever it is, the OP would have to be eating a considerable higher amount of calories per day to hold that weight steady.
    This is in fact wrong.

The calories need to maintain 16 stone, if you are sedantry is less than 2500 cals. Especially if you have a high bf%. Most people who are 16 stone, aren't maintaining, they are slowly creeping up. l

So let's say until now, he's been eating 3,000kcal a day plus 4kcal on one day, giving a total of 22kcal. (or whatever it is to maintain 16st)

Under his new regime, let's say he eats 2kcal a day and one day of 5kcal. That's a total of 16kcal. (also consider the impact of increased exercise - say 300kcal a day = 2.1kcal but I'm even ignoring that for now)
    What he was eating is irrelevant on what is needed to maintain. The old diet was one what caused weight gain in the first plave.

FWIW, 3000 kcal a day will maintain 20stone+ is you are sedantry.

The end result is still a massive reduction in calorie consumption over the week, no matter what way you look at it, which equals weight loss. We're not suddenly adding calorie excesses that didn't already exist in his diet on that day, but we are taking away significant calories the other six days.
    This is where you are going wrong.

Eating less than you were eating before doesn't equal weight loss.
    It might equal weight loss, it might only equal slower weight gain.
    The only thing that equals weight loss is eating less than maintenance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭FriendsEV

Why do I now feel old at 31 reading this thread?

Thought at this age we should be in our physical prime?

Whats happened guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

GarIT wrote:
    It always gave me a way bigger deficit target than I got working it out myself. At the beginning, the deficit was so big it wouldn't have been sustainable for me. I used to overwrite my own goal with what I worked out.

Blue ticks are verified. Sodium would be one of the things I skip when entering foods myself to be honest, as not something I track.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

FriendsEV wrote:
    Why do I now feel old at 31 reading this thread?

Lol, whipper snapper, I started getting back into shape at 41.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

Mellor wrote: »
    This is where you are going wrong.

Eating less than you were eating before doesn't equal weight loss.
    It might equal weight loss, it might only equal slower weight gain.
    The only thing that equals weight loss is eating less than maintenance.

Yep - very well explained

This is what I was getting at TBH but just no as good I suppose :)

• Advertisement

No weight loss this morning, not that I'm bothered I know I'm not dealing with actual fat burning weight loss. I'd say the fakeaways and the toasted ham and cheese sambó I had in the evening had a lot of salt and is making hold water. I was under my calorie goal by 6kcals:)
    Shredded wheat and a banana for breakfast.
    5 full days sober which is a first in a long tíme. Blood pressure lower again today I'm almost in the normal range. I'm really noticing increases in energy levels, I've even done away with my mid day fat nap:) that's to do with staying up drinking and getting up for work early. Also sleeping better.

We must also remember that we're not necessarily talking about ridiculous-level cheat days where you're eating garbage from morning until night in mad quantities. Just your usual day, but with more allowances (eg a takeaway rather than a normal dinner, plus a whack of pints thrown in the mix - whatever it is you indulge yourself in once a week).

You see this is where the risk lies. What do you define as ridiculous-level cheat days?

Six pints of Heineken, few pack of bacon fries and fish and chips with curry sauce. Easily consumed in an evening and seems a pretty normal cheat day.

But this could be upwards of 3k calories in addition to what was eaten earlier.

This will hamper weight loss for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

No weight loss this morning, not that I'm bothered I know I'm not dealing with actual fat burning weight loss. I'd say the fakeaways and the toasted ham and cheese sambó I had in the evening had a lot of salt and is making hold water. I was under my calorie goal by 6kcals:)
    Shredded wheat and a banana for breakfast.
    5 full days sober which is a first in a long tíme. Blood pressure lower again today I'm almost in the normal range. I'm really noticing increases in energy levels, I've even done away with my mid day fat nap:) that's to do with staying up drinking and getting up for work early. Also sleeping better.

I really wouldn't recommend weighing yourself so often. Things can fluctuate a lot between day to day. Consistency is important. I weigh myself on Saturday and Sunday mornings only, but even then I don't pay a lot of heed to Saturday's weight, it's more so if I end up doing something or eating/drinking more on Saturday that throws off Sunday's weight, I can average between the two.

Sunday's weigh-in is the one I generally record and use to see if I'm losing weight. If you're weighing yourself every day, the scales are barely going to move most days, and it can seem like you're not making progress, as you could be +/- 0.5lb very easily between days (not to be too graphic, but it can also depend when and how much your last sh*te was :D). Once a week though, at least you're looking at differences in whole numbers and can properly assess what direction the scale is moving.

Penn wrote: »
    I really wouldn't recommend weighing yourself so often. Things can fluctuate a lot between day to day. Consistency is important. I weigh myself on Saturday and Sunday mornings only, but even then I don't pay a lot of heed to Saturday's weight, it's more so if I end up doing something or eating/drinking more on Saturday that throws off Sunday's weight, I can average between the two.

Sunday's weigh-in is the one I generally record and use to see if I'm losing weight. If you're weighing yourself every day, the scales are barely going to move most days, and it can seem like you're not making progress, as you could be +/- 0.5lb very easily between days (not to be too graphic, but it can also depend when and how much your last sh*te was :D). Once a week though, at least you're looking at differences in whole numbers and can properly assess what direction the scale is moving.
    thanks, yeah this mornings weigh in was before the bowel movement ha I should really do it again:)
    I'm totally aware of the daily gains and losses but I like the daily weigh in personally it's part of my routine and helps me stay focused if that makes any sense.

thanks, yeah this mornings weigh in was before the bowel movement ha I should really do it again:)
    I'm totally aware of the daily gains and losses but I like the daily weigh in personally it's part of my routine and helps me stay focused if that makes any sense.

Same as myself. I did the exact same (pre poo weigh in) as you and had no loss.

Same as myself. I did the exact same (pre poo weigh in) as you and had no loss.

Ha ha, surprised you didn't gain since rehydration and breakfast rolls were on the cards yesterday....

I was advised to do morning weigh ins. You can then tell the average weight and average weight loss over the weeks/months etc.

So even if you are +/- a pound or two on a given day due to water retention or whatever it should even out over the week/month and you can get an accurate average reading :-)

big syke wrote: »
    I was advised to do morning weigh ins. You can then tell the average weight and average weight loss over the weeks/months etc.

So even if you are +/- a pound or two on a given day due to water retention or whatever it should even out over the week/month and you can get an accurate average reading :-)
    Yeah it balances out. I use a Nintendo Wii u and a balance board and it creates a graph and you can see the ups and down of a week or whatever. When I did this before it was shocking how much you'd put on after the cheat day but after 2/3 you be back to normal plus the loss of the 2/3 days. But it definitely keeps you in check doing it everyday and see what extra salt or less greens etc. Can do.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/w8jxLL62gbWDJaEb9

Lunch, looks like a total mess but it was possibly the nicest thing I've eaten all week.
    2 egg omelette. Diced cooked turkey, yellow peppers and red onion. Side salad of spring onion, iceberg plus my own lettuce leafs a few cucumber and tomoto slices nice and thin.
    Took about ten minutes.

Does anyone care for these meal ideas im posting? I'll take silence as not to bother:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

big syke wrote: »

I always weighed myself at the same time every day, in the morning. You get an accurate picture even if your scales is off as you'll still see the direction it's heading. Very good for motivation too. Weight is down you think to yourself, ok great keep going. Weight is up, ok it's just fluctuating and I'll try to work harder today. I graphed it too, just stuck my weight in each day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

https://photos.app.goo.gl/w8jxLL62gbWDJaEb9

Lunch, looks like a total mess but it was possibly the nicest thing I've eaten all week.
    2 egg omelette. Diced cooked turkey, yellow peppers and red onion. Side salad of spring onion, iceberg plus my own lettuce leafs a few cucumber and tomoto slices nice and thin.
    Took about ten minutes.

Does anyone care for these meal ideas im posting? I'll take silence as not to bother:)

I am certainly getting some ideas from them

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You should season that salad with lemon, garlic or balsamic vinegar or something.

iamtony wrote:
    Ha ha, surprised you didn't gain since rehydration and breakfast rolls were on the cards yesterday....

I was good and had popcorn instead.

You should season that salad with lemon, garlic or balsamic vinegar or something.

It doesn't bother me plain. Once it's with something else. I just load up the fork with a little bit of everything on the plate and each bite is nice and tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Balsamic vinegar is great on salads but many a pristine white shirt has been ruined by the greenery splashing it on me.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Zi8CJrdo3iKbaFNHA

Cheat night. According to my fitness pal, with the exercise(cycling, gardening, house work) I've done today and only consuming 1200 calories before hand im only 557 over budget. Hope that solves the argument about cheat days.

Only up 0.2kg after the cheat meal and beers. Didn't go overboard. Only had 3 beers and actually left some food on my plate, well no that's a lie, I didn't top up my plate with the food left in the containers:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Very similar to a lot here. 32 finished with football and 3 young kids at home.

Last September weighed at over 16 stone for the first time ever. Gave me a kick to exercise and eat better (I hate the idea of dieting but tried to make sustainable choices). I went down to 14 st 4lb by Christmas. I then fell off the wagon and between Christmas and Easter consumed my body weight in chocolate.

About 3 weeks ago decided to get my was back in gear. Weighed in at 15st 10lb. So again back to the healthier (omelette rather than a ciabatta for lunch type of stuff) choices, joined gym and going twice a week and then playing golf once a week.
    Down to 15stone this week but happy to just tip along slowly and sustainably, id be happy to lose a pound a week for the next so many weeks to be honest with just better choices rather than crash diets

Down below the 15 stone again. 14 12lb this morning tipping along ok seen as was out for dinner one day, take away another and sweets and popcorn at cinema another day.

Down the country with the family this week and a big drinking session this weekend so if I maintain 14 12 for next week I be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Monday weigh-in.

Last week: 86.2kg (it was a heavy weekend, mostly retained water I'd say)

This week: 83.9kg

More exercise/gym. No sugar for the week. Eating healthier all round. It did help that it was a sober weekend so no craving for takeaway or anything yesterday.

Sample of my daily eating:

- Breakfast 8am: 150g greek yoghurt with blueberries and cashew nuts
    - Mid-morning 10.30am: Apple + green tea
    - Lunch 1pm: Chicken breast + veg + bowl of soup
    - Snack: Mandarin or banana + peanut butter
    - Dinner: Fish/chicken/steak + veg + sweet potato/wedges
    Gym - weights 3 days a week
    Cardio - 3 days a week
    Drink around 4 litres of water a day, about 3 cups of tea or coffee too

Happy with that progress. Will try do even more this week, feeling motivated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

In

118 KG
    Just started PT gym sessions twice a week and swapping work canteen for bringing my own lunches

Goal is 88 KG

Monday Weigh in

114 KG
    Good week
    bringing lunch to work helped , few pints watching England getting knocked out did not ,the worst thing about the few pints was probably not even all the calories in the pints but actually the bad eating the day after to sooth hang over.

Gym Sessions are tough but will stick with them for at least the month

Advertisement