Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of being fat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Penn wrote: »
    I was never one for eating vegetables my whole life. Part of the reason I'm in the state I am now. But last night, I had a pork chop medallion with roast broccoli and sweet potato chips (both tossed in paprika and chilli powder before roasting) and they were f*cking delicious. And only about 500cals.

I'm actually looking forward to another helping tonight :D
    good job! Seasoning makes a bland sounding meal delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Ben and Jerry's have a vegan (non-dairy) range.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,197 ✭✭✭✭Penn

iamtony wrote: »
    good job! Seasoning makes a bland sounding meal delicious.

# Just... a... spoonful of spices help the vegetables go down
    Vegetables... go dowwwnn
    Vegetables go down #

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Lads look. If you are having 7 cheat days a week of course going to 6 cheat days a week will lose weight. Until you are the size of a guy that only has 6 cheat days a week.
    Then you will need to have 5 cheat days a week to lose weight.

Again you will stop losing weight once you are the size of a guy who has 5 cheat days a week.
    So a cheat day works if it’s less cheat days than you have but you won’t look like a fella at a body building show by having them every week.
    Not that most people wants to.

But there is no tricking your body to release the metabolism or any of that stuff. The trick is filling foods with low calories. Hence brown rice and brown bread.

Brown bread will fill you for (example) 3 hours where white bread won’t fill you for as long. And guess what , the white bread has more calories.

There’s absolutely nothing complicated about it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Surely
    ice Cream
    Brown Sauce
    Gravy
    Mayo

mean your vegetarian not Vegan

And why do Vegetarians always eat veggie takes on meat products (veggie sausages and the like ) surely if it tastes better to be vegetarian you wouldn't be faking meat products !

Ben and Jerry's have 3 flavours that are vegan in Ireland. More to come! There are plenty of brands with vegan ice cream. There are even vegan Cornetto's now. Of course I'm trying to avoid eating them...
    Brown sauce is a load of vegetables, vinegar and sugar blended up.
    Gravy is often vegan, especially if bought in a supermarket, Bisto etc.
    Mayonnaise is vegan if you use a different emulsifier than egg. For example, blending oil, soy milk, lemon and salt for a few seconds creates mayonnaise. Aldi sell a nice sriracha one.

As for fake meat products, people generally like the taste of meat and as a proper farmland boy I grew up on it mostly, that love doesn't change when you stop eating it because you don't want to kill animals, the environment, health etc, so you want to eat something similar. It's particularly useful if somebody is transitioning as they can replace the meat in their meals easily, otherwise they wouldn't know meals to eat.

Ben and Jerry's have 3 flavours that are vegan in Ireland. More to come! There are plenty of brands with vegan ice cream. There are even vegan Cornetto's now. Of course I'm trying to avoid eating them...
    Brown sauce is a load of vegetables, vinegar and sugar blended up.
    Gravy is often vegan, especially if bought in a supermarket, Bisto etc.
    Mayonnaise is vegan if you use a different emulsifier than egg. For example, blending oil, soy milk, lemon and salt for a few seconds creates mayonnaise. Aldi sell a nice sriracha one.

As for fake meat products, people generally like the taste of meat and as a proper farmland boy I grew up on it mostly, that love doesn't change when you stop eating it because you don't want to kill animals etc, so you want to eat something similar. It's particularly useful if somebody is transitioning as they can replace the meat in their meals easily, otherwise they wouldn't know meals to eat.

If you find yourself talking about mayonnaise and Cornettos check yourself before you wreck yourself. Skinny lads don’t sit around talking about ice cream. Maybe that’s why exercise helps so much. You can go for a run and burn the equivalent of a fredo bar but the real benefit is if you see your friend Tim you will burn the ears off him about couch to 5 k instead of mayonnaise.

If it fills the man it’s better than him eating a chicken leg then ordering a pizza later.
    He may have 2 meals a day, everybody is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Theres two weeks a in the month I could go eating less than 800 calories a day and another two where I could eat 3000 plus (binge eating), I know It sounds very unhealthy but mid month I'm always hungry, this is always prior to my time of the month, does any other woman experience this, its very frustrating because I actually love the idea of eating clean and its a constant cycle for losing and gaining weight

Theres two weeks a in the month I could go eating less than 800 calories a day and another two where I could eat 3000 plus (binge eating), I know It sounds very unhealthy but mid month I'm always hungry, this is always prior to my time of the month, does any other woman experience this, its very frusting because I actually love the idea of eating clean and its a constant cycle for losing and gaining weight

You know the time of month alone is said to make a woman gain up to 8 pounds.
    My tip would be weighing yourself each month rather than each day. You will fluctuate and weighing yourself each day will only make you feel bad when the hormones are off kilter and push you off the wagon. During period just try be as clean as possible but don’t beat yourself up.

• Advertisement

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CkiVXGh1gqfQDyGz6

I'm not mad for salads so I need to either add meat, egg, coleslaw or egg mayo to tolerate them.
    This one is mixed leaves, cucumber, spring onion, yellow peppers, one boiled egg and 2 slices of ham chopped up, forget to add a bit of tomato. If was very nice, bar the leaves from a bag aren't great, think ill try source proper stuff from the organic supermarket in malahide tomorrow while I wait for my own to grow.
    I'd say less than 300 calories and hopefully that's me fed till tomorrow.
    I can feel the weight loss!
    Now for a nice cup of green tea:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Theres two weeks a in the month I could go eating less than 800 calories a day and another two where I could eat 3000 plus (binge eating), I know It sounds very unhealthy but mid month I'm always hungry, this is always prior to my time of the month, does any other woman experience this, its very frustrating because I actually love the idea of eating clean and its a constant cycle for losing and gaining weight

Yes! This is totally a thing and not in your imagination:
    https://www.girlsgonestrong.com/blog/hormones/how-do-hormones-affect-hunger/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭forward8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CkiVXGh1gqfQDyGz6

I'm not mad for salads so I need to either add meat, egg, coleslaw or egg mayo to tolerate them.
    This one is mixed leaves, cucumber, spring onion, yellow peppers, one boiled egg and 2 slices of ham chopped up, forget to add a bit of tomato. If was very nice, bar the leaves from a bag aren't great, think ill try source proper stuff from the organic supermarket in malahide tomorrow while I wait for my own to grow.
    I'd say less than 300 calories and hopefully that's me fed till tomorrow.
    I can feel the weight loss!
    Now for a nice cup of green tea:)

Looks good.
    Nowadays I regularly add sweet corn, small amount of coleslaw, red onion, beat root, diced non-breaded chicken, salad leaves from LIDL, tiny amount of dressing and BBQ sauce combo, slice of garlic bread, tomatoes and cucumber.

For snacky-poos I've been loving the polish imports of pickled (gurkans?) in chilli brine (very low calories and fat) and make a nice substitute for plain old fruit.

forward8 wrote: »
    Looks good.
    Nowadays I regularly add sweet corn, small amount of coleslaw, red onion, beat root, diced non-breaded chicken, salad leaves from LIDL, tiny amount of dressing and BBQ sauce combo, slice of garlic bread, tomatoes and cucumber.

For snacky-poos I've been loving the polish imports of pickled (gurkans?) in chilli brine (very low calories and fat) and make a nice substitute for plain old fruit.
    it was very basic but nice. I can never think of what to add to salads when I'm making them. Beet root is a good addition I'll get a jar of them and keep them on standby for the next one.

Can't bleedin win, stuck all my details in to my fitness pal and it said I'm not eating enough. 1149 calories today. Wasn't hungry once. A bit hungry now though. But its bed time. At least I'll know I can splash out a bit tomorrow.

Can't bleedin win, stuck all my details in to my fitness pal and it said I'm not eating enough. 1149 calories today. Wasn't hungry once. A bit hungry now though. But its bed time. At least I'll know I can splash out a bit tomorrow.

It’s perfectly fine today was a success. Tomorrow you have the same calories to hit as today. If you don’t get up there it’s fine. You arnt training for the olympics my man.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Not as technical as all ye now but generally the times I've put up weight have purely been due to sedentary periods of life, once exercise, or work at the moment, came back into it i came back to my regular weight., without my diet changing a whole lot. OP id try to incorporate something exercise wise into your every day life. Be that cycling/ walking to work walking the dog etc. Gym is good also but of its something you can incorporate into the day it's then harder to make excuses to not do it.

Down another 0.5 kg or 1.1 pound this morning. That's 2.1kg lost since the 10th.

Blood pressure, which is the reason I started doing this is also down from 160/115 to 135/95 if your over weight and never taken your blood pressure I'd recommend getting a cheap machine. Gives you a good kick up the arse to get in gear when you realise the damage your doing.

It’s perfectly fine today was a success. Tomorrow you have the same calories to hit as today. If you don’t get up there it’s fine. You arnt training for the olympics my man.

No but there are health risks with not eating enough calories. I should be eating 1,600 in order to lose 2lb per week, but most days I'd have to give myself an additional snack to get myself over 1,200. But over the last two weeks I suffered some side-effects from being too low-calorie, and in particular I was extremely low on my potassium intake. I've started adjusting my diet now and am aiming for at least a regular 1,500 and higher-potassium foods.

Just saying, the occasional 1,200 calorie day is fine. But too much of being under your calorie goal or not getting the right balance of nutrition is neither sustainable nor advisable.

iamtony, I was the same. I was sub-1,200 maybe 3-4 days out of the week even though I wasn't hungry and felt like I was getting enough, and was taking an extra handful of nuts to get me to 1,300. Unfortunately you can't always see what you're deficient in until you start feeling the effects of it. In MFP, if you click on Reports, and then Choose a Report, you can check your intake of various headings under Nutrition. If you still find on some days your calorie intake is low, maybe check out what items under Nutrition you may be low on, and incorporate a few snacks throughout the week to try and increase those. It'll up your calories to a healthier level, and address any possible deficiency.

Down to 92.8 today. Hungover though and craving a curer and a breakfast roll. Today will be tough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

You should try not to drop too low.

There will be a time, if you keep up the good work, that you will need to drop calories again and again to see progress. You want to lose all the weight you can at the highest amount of calories while still in a deficit. Then maybe drop 100, lose all you can at that, and so on.

It's a marathon not a sprint. It can be easy to get excited seeing the numbers drop on the scales so fast but your body won't thank you down the line.

Down to 92.8 today. Hungover though and craving a curer and a breakfast roll. Today will be tough

That's weight loss is called dehydration buddy:) I'd say there's some real loss in their aswell as that's alot. Good job enjoy the breakfast roll. If possible make your own they're so much nicer!

iamtony wrote:
    That's weight loss is called dehydration buddy I'd say there's some real loss in their aswell as that's alot. Good job enjoy the breakfast roll. If possible make your own they're so much nicer!

But... But... How can I be dehydrated when I had so much to drink last night? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

But nothing is being ruined. In the OP's case, he's on a calorie deficit for six days, and let's say on the 'rest' day he has a feed of pints and a takeaway?

He'd still lose weight easily as the overall calories consumed per 7 days is still way lower than what it would have been originally to maintain 100kg/16st or whatever it is.

What you're describing would be more applicable if someone was trying to lose the last bit of stubborn fat, or go on an actual cut, but otherwise had a pretty normal BMI, etc.

For the average guy several stone overweight, 6 days @ 2-2.2kcal with decent exercise and a 7th @ 3-3.5kcal will not stop them losing weight pretty easily.

As I said, no point trying to go into it full steam off the bat and convincing yourself that you can't have x, y or z. It's about sense and portion control as much as it is the actual foods being consumed. Find something sustainable and workable in the longer term.

Well no.

The numbers are an example.

Take 2500 as OP maintenance. Again an example and maintenance means he will not lose or gain weight if he consumes 2,500.

The OP starts to try and lose weight so Monday- Saturday eats 20% less calories.

Deficit for six days
    = 2500 - 20 % = 2000 calories * 6 days = 12,000

Cheat day on Sunday
    2000 normal calories + 3500 worth of pizza and pints = 5,500 (easy to do)

Total = 17500 = 2,500 per day = Maintenance = no weight loss.

I am speaking from experience. Its very easy for one or two meals to ruin 6 days of hard work.

big syke wrote: »
    Well no.

Take 2500 as OP maintenance. Again an example and maintenance means he will not lose or gain weight if he consumes 2,500.

The OP starts to try and lose weight so Monday- Saturday eats 20% less calories.

Deficit for six days

Cheat day on Sunday

I am speaking from experience. Its very easy for one or two meals to ruin 6 days of hard work.

Take am example of me, gone from 3 or 4 thousand calories a day easily, I was a heavy drinker and order chinese about 4 nights a week and eat out with the family at least once a week plus eating terribly at home. Frys about 3 times a week.
    Now I'm down to 1200 calories a day for the last 4 days I can easily afford a cheat meal and beers once a week. It probably doesn't work if your only cutting a few hundred calories a day. It's different for everyone I guess.
    I lost quite a lot of weight in the past and always had the Chinese and beer once a week and I lost 15kg. I was also cycling a few hundred kilometres a week at the time which helped greatly. I'm Still threatening to dust off the bike today :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

big syke wrote: »
    Well no.

Deficit for six days

Cheat day on Sunday

This is still completely wrong, though!

It would be completely correct if you were a normal weight/BMI looking to cut stubborn fat or an actual fat cut to low bodyfat.

What you're forgetting, is that 2,500 calories a day is not enough to maintain a man who is several stone overweight to begin with.

The key is that to maintain 16stone or whatever it is, the OP would have to be eating a considerable higher amount of calories per day to hold that weight steady.

Seeing as you are so keen on the figures....

So let's say until now, he's been eating 3,000kcal a day plus 4kcal on one day, giving a total of 22kcal. (or whatever it is to maintain 16st)

Under his new regime, let's say he eats 2kcal a day and one day of 5kcal. That's a total of 16kcal. (also consider the impact of increased exercise - say 300kcal a day = 2.1kcal but I'm even ignoring that for now)

The weight will still fall off easily. Where it will plateau is probably about 13.5 or 14st and greater effort and finer tuning would be required at that point.

In this case, you're referring to maintenance weight for an average, healthy man....not a man who is a few stone overweight.

80%-90% of Irish men who are normal weight still have the beers, pizza, take-away, or whatever and maintain 12.5-13st or whatever. I'm 5'11 and 13.5st/34" waist and I exercise regularly, eat about 2,200 calories six days a week and probably 4-5k on the 'day off' (usually rake of pints and crap food all the next day)

End of the day, the OP can eat 2,000 kcal six days a week and enjoy a feed of pints and takeaway on the 7th day (if he wants) without worrying about the kcal. It will not stop him losing weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

End of the day, the OP can eat 2,000 kcal six days a week and enjoy a feed of pints and takeaway on the 7th day (if he wants) without worrying about the kcal. It will not stop him losing weight.

Just to be clear, you're just saying that keeping it reasonably under maintenance for 6 days and then a feed of pints and a takeaway will still be less in 7 days than he needs.

That's quite possible but it still depends on what that day of a feed of pints and takeaway amounts to in terms of calories.

FWIW, a 6ft, 100kg 36-yo man doesn't need to a massive amount over 2,500 calories to be at maintenance if they have a sedentary lifestyle.

Just to be clear, you're just saying that keeping it reasonably under maintenance for 6 days and then a feed of pints and a takeaway will still be less in 7 days than he needs.

That's quite possible but it still depends on what that day of a feed of pints and takeaway amounts to in terms of calories.

FWIW, a 6ft, 100kg 36-yo man doesn't need to a massive amount over 2,500 calories to be at maintenance if they have a sedentary lifestyle.

Just as an example and using data from a calorie calculator I've been using online; I'm 6ft, 121kg, fairly sedentary, and I need 2,650cals to maintain. 1,650cals to lose 2lb per week. If I was 100kg, I'd need just under 2,400cals to maintain.

An average deficit of 500 per day (3,500 per week) is what it takes to lose 1lb. 1,000 per day deficit = 2lb loss per week.

So you can be at a deficit of 500cals per day for six days a week, then on the seventh day eat 3,000cals more than your limit, and you'll have negated the deficit throughout the week. Or only eat 1,500cals extra on your cheat day and theoretically will have lost half a pound (none of this is exact as on some days you may have burned more calories than usual and lost more, or vice versa).

But as you lose more weight, you require fewer calories to maintain, meaning you have to eat fewer calories to keep the same deficit (eg. when I get to 100kg and need 2,400cals to maintain, I'll have to be eating 1,400cals to lose 2lb).

Ultimately, it all depends how much weight you want to lose per week. I don't do cheat days because I aim to lose 2lb per week which means a deficit of 1,000cals a day, 7 days a week. There will be family occasions or friend events and I'll not worry about my calorie intake on those days (will try not to go too mad either though), but I know for me to stay on track, cheat days are something I neither want nor need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

We must also remember that we're not necessarily talking about ridiculous-level cheat days where you're eating garbage from morning until night in mad quantities. Just your usual day, but with more allowances (eg a takeaway rather than a normal dinner, plus a whack of pints thrown in the mix - whatever it is you indulge yourself in once a week).

The odds are the OP would've been doing this at least once a week anyway - we're not suddenly adding magical calories that didn't already exist in his weekly diet, so ultimately the actual net reduction is still significantly geared towards weight loss.

The aim is to keep it cleaner and under-maintenance 6 days a week. The 7th day can be the way it always used to be - be that pints, takeaway, both, whatever.

The end result is still a massive reduction in calorie consumption over the week, no matter what way you look at it, which equals weight loss. We're not suddenly adding calorie excesses that didn't already exist in his diet on that day, but we are taking away significant calories the other six days.

Again, that'll only get you so far, before finer tuning is required, but it'll still shift weight steadily to a point.

Of course, the above point is also completely valid - it will completely impact on how quickly you can lose weight initially to that plateau, but it won't stop you losing weight.

• Advertisement

Just had a kerrigans spice box fakeawayfor dinner. Really tasty total of 450 kcals.
    Splashed out a bit today and had a the above and a pack of bbq hula hoops.
    1472 kcal consumed so far today. I'd say I'll need a snack later so I'll try get by on a salad later, nothing I've eaten today has been green.

Advertisement