Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shenmue 3 (Kickstarter)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Up to 2.9 Million now, pace has slowed down a good bit. I'd be hopeful it gets up to 4-5 million, here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Is the plan for Shenmue 3 to be a big budget game large scale game like the previous 2 or is it just a kinda shorter less extravagant version?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    Is the plan for Shenmue 3 to be a big budget game large scale game like the previous 2 or is it just a kinda shorter less extravagant version?

Sony are supposed to be putting $50-$100 million behind this and to help them along the way so it should be. The interest is raised the more they'd be willing to invest and the better the end product I suppose.

I've backed it and hope it gets to 5 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I love their reward text: TOY CAPSULES - "I SHOULD BUY ONE"

I bet everyone has read that in Ryo's Voice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Julez

So, will this still be coming to PC or no?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Julez wrote: »

Probably, No Mans Sky is coming to PC/PS4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah sure one of the Kickstarter pledges is a physical copy for your PC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Julez wrote: »

Yes. It is clearly there on the kickstarter. The deal was in place, you get the support on kickstarter and we'll fund you.

You can't then say actually no pc now the pc players have funded it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Sony are supposed to be putting $50-$100 million behind this and to help them along the way so it should be. The interest is raised the more they'd be willing to invest and the better the end product I suppose.

I've backed it and hope it gets to 5 million.

Shenmue is a niche title. It isnt Cod or GTA. It wont hit anywhere near those sales numbers so talk of putting 100 million into development is ludicrous. It would become the Waterworld of the gaming industry. Simply wont happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Cormac... wrote: »
    I hope they do a pack with the 1st 2 games..... cause I never played them cause nobody I know had a Dreamcast :O

Glad to see this happening for all the fans of the series.... especially given there was meant to be like... what 9 or 12 episodes

Unlikely.
    Is this game affiliated with SEGA?
    SEGA has officially given us the rights to use the "Shenmue 3" license.
    Are there plans for the HD versions of Shenmue 1 & 2?
    The property rights for Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2 belong to SEGA, so we are not in a position to comment on that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Unlikely.

Well...... Mobile Version of them it is so :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Never say never. Mass Effect 1 was published by MS and destined never to come to Playstation but around 5 years later it did. Throw enough money as SEGA and it could happen.

I would say we can almost certainly expect HD ports/remasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

If Shenmue 3 does well then i would expect ore Shenmue titles to be made - we could have a new Shenmue every November like COD! Yippee

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    If Shenmue 3 does well then i would expect ore Shenmue titles to be made - we could have a new Shenmue every November like COD! Yippee

Except shenmue isn't just map expansions?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Kirby wrote: »
    Shenmue is a niche title. It isnt Cod or GTA. It wont hit anywhere near those sales numbers so talk of putting 100 million into development is ludicrous. It would become the Waterworld of the gaming industry. Simply wont happen.

The original cost over 70m to make, which is close to 100m in today's money, sales were disappointing though at the time around 1.2M.

Shenmue would never be a yearly thing, the appeal just isn't there.

I'm surprised they never did episodic format for it, would have ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

cloud493 wrote: »

"TellTale Games Season Pass for Shenmue Episode 4 available this Wednesday"
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

It's pretty clever actually. Sony could have put in all the money but this way they're making far more than the retail cost of the game on each Kickstarter sale. 4 backers at 10 grand, 917 @ 500 etc.

Looks a lot better to get that type of money from what might otherwise be €60 for regular or, what? €150 for special edition?

(And all this with 30 days to go.)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

cloud493 wrote: »
    Shenmue would never be a yearly thing, the appeal just isn't there.

That worked really well for Half-Life! :pac:

• Advertisement

Well, episodic on the schedule of life is strange or something like that then :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yay, $3m. Subtitles for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

So unbelievable that this finally came true after so long, I kicked in 500, gotta have them capsule toys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I used to love the first one on Dreamcast all those years ago. Watching a play-through of it now on YouTube, great memories. Fingers crossed this happens :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Xenji wrote: »
    The original cost over 70m to make, which is close to 100m in today's money, sales were disappointing though at the time around 1.2M.

We all know that. It's just not relevant. The industry has moved on a lot. Mega titles like GTA and COD are more expensive to make, but the small and medium sized publishers can actually get their games out there much cheaper than before. You dont have to create proprietary technology anymore....you pay your license fee and use their tools instead. A small team and a few million quid can achieve an awful lot these days.

Simply put, the outrageous spending that happened with Shenmue before wont be happening again. Sony know how well the game will sell and will budget accordingly. I shouldnt have to explain this to people. You dont need to be a financial expert to recognise this. Shenmue 3 wont cost 70 million to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Was shenmue an rpg or what was it ? I had the 2nd one on loan for a couple of days and couldn't really get to grips with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Ubiquitous Synergy Seeker

Was this Kickstarter simply the greatest pre-order campaign of all time?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I'm glad to see Shenmue 3 :)
    Am a little skeptical tho as the first had such a massive budget that could you recreate the same experience with a fraction of that, not to mention video games have moved on 14 years in the mean time. But good to see none the less.

Am curious as to weather the video (or demo) shown on the kickstarter page was the developed version by Sega? It was reported Sega was working on Shenmue 3 a couple of years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,302 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Kirby wrote: »
    It would become the Waterworld of the gaming industry. Simply wont happen.

Waterworld actually made a profit

http://deadline.com/2013/08/isnt-it-time-to-take-waterworld-off-the-all-time-flop-list-557797/

• Advertisement

Shenmue is a kind of open world RPG-action game. Its also aged badly and is often boring as ****.

Advertisement